• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about new baby beardie.

AdamWTF

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We brought a new beardie last night, the shop keeper said it was around 4 weeks old. This is my first lizard so I'm not sure how things go hence asking here for advice, I'm guessing it would be best to fully explain my situation and see what people have to say.

We got home with our little guy around 9:30pm upon placing him in the viv he seemed to take to it well, he ran around a lot, climbed his logs and generally didn't seem very scared. We left him be for the first hour so he could get used to his new surroundings then decided to place in a few dusted crickets. He ate all these and went back to laying on his log. He seemed rather tired and I hadn't seen him drink yet, so I dripped a few droplets of water onto his nose which he soon lapped up. We left him be as much as possible and tbh he soon fell asleep.

Upon waking this morning he seemed very lazy, he didn't wanna do much moving around at all, he seemed more fixated on being lazy on top of his log hide, trying to sleep it seemed. I placed in a couple more crickets which he paid no attention too. He started walking around for a little, did his first poo and drank some more water from the end of his nose. He took to laying on the heat mat under the log hide this time and didn't really come out for quite a while. When he eventually did he threw up the crickets from last night. He then went back to being lay on the heat mat before moving to the top of the log under the basking light. I placed in a few more crickets hoping he might get something else inside himself since being sick however he paid no attention to them. Since I'm keeping a close eye on him I decided to leave the crickets inside with him in case he does pick up a appetite. So far I haven't seen him eat any. He has however took little nibbles at the dandelion leaves I left inside. For about the last hour he has gained a lot of his energy back. He's been running around loads even jumping up the glass. He's been drinking water I've dropped on his nose and licking it from the dandelion leaves. However he's not taken to trying to eat anymore crickets, he ignores them 100% much prefers being lay under his basking light or climbing some of the fake plants inside of his viv.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your little baby.

Off the top of my head, I think you may have fed him too soon to lights going out. Beardies need a lights on/lights off schedule. Either a 12/12 works or a 14 on and 10 off works too. They should not be fed an hour before lights off. They need the heat and UV to digest their food. They typically don't eat until their lights and UV have been on for 30 minutes or so.

Your beardie sounds very young. Can you run down your setup for us?
1. What UV are you using - make and model?
2. What is your substrate(flooring)?
3. What is the temp on your hot side?
4. What is the temp on your cool side?
5. What are you using to measure your temps?

Here's the link to our basic caresheet.
Bearded Dragon Care

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with feeding too soon. Since you got him so late at night, optimally you should have settled him into his new home, keep the lights on for a bit for him to acclimate then lights off for the night. In the morning, lights on for two hours for the temps to get to the right temperature and your beardie to warm. Then feeding the crix. What size crix did you give?

On top of those questions just a suggestion. Beardies who come from a pet store many times are dehydrated. Stores don't take the time to soak a beardie to hydrate them. Since he is little, I would get a cover from a tupperware container, put a paper towel in the bottom and put some warm water in it. Put the beardie in that and just let him/her sit and absorb the water. Water is absorbed through their vent (where they poop) not their scales. Dehydration can cause a beardie to be lethargic and slow.

This is all learning for new owners. You will get everything right and your beardie will thrive. Just keep asking questions.

AdamWTF

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey thanks for the reply.

The uv light is an arcadia 10% I think. I'm not fully 100% sure properly I was given this bulb out of the packaging by the person who sold me the viv. He'd been keeping lizards for years and told me it would be fine but I should replace it in 2 months time.

The flooring I'm using is kitchen towel, which I made a lot thicker over the heat mat. Just to be 100%

The hot side of the tank is around 90F I run a 40w light bulb off a thermostat and it keeps it around that temp nicely. I was told this was a good temp for him. By the heat mat under the hide we have a temp of 101F which again I run on a thermostat to make sure things don't get too hot or cold.

The cool side I can't properly tell you as I don't have another thermometer over there yet, however I do keep rocks and his water over that side and although it is still relatively warm over there it is much cooler than the heat side. I often notice him sitting in the middle of the viv really between the two temps. Unless ofc he feels like a bask under the bulb.

To read my tempretures I'm using an exo terra digital thermometer.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bump up the temps on the hot side to 105-110F. and remove the heat mat. If you need the heat at night, wrap it around the back of the tank. it'll keep it cozy and he won't get burned.

the kitchen towel.......is that paper or material towel?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, the heat mat. Sorry, forgot to comment on that. Heat mats are not necessary. Beardies need their heat source from above them. I would remove the heat mat.

The hot side should be around 110F for a beardie that young. I'd get a higher wattage bulb. The cool side should be around 85F.

Is it a digital probe thermometer?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi...

The temps are a little off. First you don't need a heat mat. Beardies don't need them and they can actually cause problems. Second, the basking spot, where your beardie will sit and will get the hottest amount of temp should be around 100-105*. The cool side should be about 85*. You aren't too far off. Just up the wattage of the bulb you are using. The digital thermometers are great. If it has a probe with a cord then just leave that directly on the basking spot so you always know the temp.

The uvb...truthfully I haven't heard of that one, but I haven't been up too much on the uvbs since my forum went down. I used to use a Reptisun (not glo) 10.0. Worked great. They last for about 6 months time.

You should also be offering him daily a salad of greens. This should not include lettuce of any kind, but good greens like dandelion, chickory, etc. Once you get your temps up to the right temp you should see his appetite go up and start chowing on crix. Just make sure that they are no bigger than the space between his eyes and you are dusting them daily with a calcium and once a week with a multi vitamin.

I would be careful with the towel. His nails could get caught. I would switch to a papertowel until you decide on what type of substrate you want permanently.

Chances are he is really just adjusting to his new home. I would get the temps up, give him a nice soak to hydrate him and see how he is doing in the next day or so.

AdamWTF

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sorry to double post, the edit function wasn't working properly. ???

The crickets we have for him are size 2/3 molts I think. :S If that makes sense? That's what the pet shop owner gave/told me to get atm and I've been giving him the smallest ones out of it. I've not seen him eat any today and I've left some in the viv as i said in my first post.

I'll go to the shop now and grab a new bulb should a 60w be okay? Also I'll lower the heat mat a lot then however I'd rather keep it in just to help with the temp on a night. I can't put it on the outside as im using a wooden viv. As we speak he's eating some dandelion leaves.

Also sorry yes I did mean paper towel.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dandelion leaves are good. One thing to keep in mind is that you just brought him home. Some dragons go through a relocation stress period until they are comfortable with their new home.

All food should be no larger than the space between their eyes.

You can use a regular household bulb. No need to buy the basking lights from the pet stores.

Night temps can drop to 65F. If you need heat at night, try a heat emitter. It provides no light, only the warmth your beardie needs.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
2/3 molted is almost an adult cricket. What you need is 3/8 inch......or 2 week old crix........
1/2 inch will do if you can't locate the smaller. But 2/3 is much too large for him at this time.

Back off the crix for today and tonight, get his temps and set up right and give him a soak. Try feeding him tomorrow.........1 hour after lights on.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As stated, no need to use expensive reptile bulb. Just buy the regular household bulbs. Cheap and you can keep different wattages around to help.

With the heat pad. I realize you are worried, but actually beardies don't feel heat from underneath. They can actually get burned before they even realize it is too hot. It really won't help with anything. You will see a big difference once you get the basking and ambient temps right.

Just make sure they aren't any bigger then between your guys eyes. If they eat prey too big, he won't be able to digest it properly.

I know this all sounds overwhelming, but once you get everything set, you will relax and be able to enjoy your guy.

BTW, what's his name? Would love to see pics.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
AdamWTF said:
The crickets we have for him are size 2/3 molts I think.

This could be why he regurgitated the crix he ate this morning. As already stated, much too big.

Congrats on coming here for some proper husbandry. I'm not saying the guy at the store intentionally misled you, but he is there for a reason (to sell). We really don't have anything to gain but your trust and friendship. I think your little guy will be fine in a couple days. He's needing some time to acclimate....to both, his new enclosure and it's surroundings (including you).

AdamWTF

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think I have the crickets sizes wrong with what i said just, cause these things are tiny... I've seen adult crickets and beleive me... these are not lol. The reason I say 2/3 is cause thats just the number that was on top of the tub they came in. These are the exact same size crickets he had in his cage at the pet store. They are as people said they should be the right size between his eyes and such. An okay, taking that adivice I shall remove the heatmat and look into getting a heat emitter asap.

Also his name is cookie :p named by girlfriend and sadly I do not have any pics yet. However I shall have some within the next couple days and I'll be sure to upload them aswell as some pics of his viv. :) I'm enjoying his company a lot atm he always seems to be running around like crazy and jumping up the glass. Ofc till he notices me then he either pretends i'm not here and eats some leaves else hides on his log flat and watchs me.

Thanks so much for the help.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, one last thing. Don't leave crix in the tank with him. Put them in to feed him and let him eat for 10 minutes. Make sure you take out any remaining crix. A hungry crix will chomp on Cookie.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah...then they're most likely the right size. Cool!

Sounds like you've got your head on straight, dude. I think he's going to do just fine in your care.

What he's doing....we call it "glass dancing". :D

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I see everyone has gotten some great advice your way...
Adam, I would guess that that Arcadia is 12%, perhaps ?
Also, look into finding some young locust too.
Spring greens, dandelion are both available most likely at your gocery.
Cheers and welcome, Mate !
Janie

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Be sure to give him daily soaks. Once mine adjusted I found that he would only eat after a soak in warm water, about the temp you would bath a baby. I use a warm bath to get the body temps up on mine if the lights dont get turned on on time or if the light burns out. What size tank is he in? I have 75 watt on mine and when my little one was in a 10 gallon I had a 50 watt on him but your wattage really depends on the overall temps of you house, how far the basking spot is from the light. Also his UV light makes a huge difference. It should be about 6 inches away from the basking spot. Can you post some pics and we will be able to give better tips on how to improve things. As far as the substrate/flooring. I use select-a-size Viva paper towels. I like how easy it is to change out the soiled areas daily and I wipe under the spoiled areas with unscented baby wipes daily and once a week wipe out the whole tank with baby wipes, monthly I clean the whole thing with white vinegar. as far as the crickets there are some websites you can order the size you need. I like to send this one to new people just so they can use the sizing chart at the least, it is very helpful in finding the right size crix that you need. http://www.ghann.com/store/store_sub.cfm?Category_ID=1

AdamWTF

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay just been to shop and sadly they had no bulbs other than the energy efficient ones. These would be pointless to use as I know they give off very little heat at all, this means I won't be able to get a better bulb till tomorrow now. I'm going to do as surgested in a moment and make him a small bath to soak in. I will buy some more new insects this weekend once my money is in stuck for funds atm. :') I did buy a large supply of crickets see thinking they would last okay till then.

An yeah I'm guessing that bulb is correct, as I said I'm not 100% the guy who gave it me gave it me out of the packaging and the writing on the tube itself isn't really readable. I only brought the viv off him last week and since then I've it a bloody good scrub. :') I'm using a F10 Disinfectant which I actually got from the vet. So I'm guessing it should be more than perfect really? Yes the paper towels I'm using were just a cheap co-op own however they seem to be fine... easy mess clean up, quick to lay and cheap. Sadly... they just look horrible. ;')

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You don't need a specific reptile bulb hon. you can use just a higher wattage house bulb or flood light (depending on his tank) in your fixture. It'll do the same thing for the heat, without the extra cost.

You can also order your next UVB bulb to save you some cash. Until then.....you should be ok.

AdamWTF

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
VERY HAPPY! Stroke of luck I just found a 100w bulb in the house! :) The tempreture is flying up. ^_^

Latest posts