• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Will this starter kit be ok?

skibunny

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,
We are looking to get a bearded dragon for our family and I found this exo terra 40 gallon adult bearded dragon starter kit. It is $189.99 at walmart. I know with these kits they can be a waste of money because there are many things in the kit that are not appropriate and shouldn't be used but this one seemed pretty good and at a good price. Here is what it includes:
40 gallon long terrarium with sliding screen top
sand mat (I would replace this with reptile carpet)
ceramic light fixture
Solar glo mercury vapor bulb 160W
light bracket - light dome support fixture
thermometer
water dish and feeding dish
calcium with d3 and multivitamin supplements
care guide

I realize I would need some hides and a basking spot but I thought with the exception of the sand mat, this kit seemed like a good start. Also, can I put a baby beardie in this type of setup? Thanks!

skibunny

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please look at the post under general discussion Newbies Guide what to buy ---- if you have any more questions please ask --- and I would not buy a kit they are a waste of money -- it says 40 gallon on the newbie guide but that will need to be replaced by the time hes a a little over a year as they do outgrow the tank --- I would look at getting a bigger one w/ front doors - it is alot easier to manage and I also would look at putting in textured non adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot or Lowes -- easier to clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 in a spray bottle its cheap and the insects cannot get under neath-------- Please do not get the solar glo bulb ---- you need separate bulbs for basking and UVB - it is a lot easier to manage basking temps ---- please read the newbie guide and ask if you have questions thanks
kaylyn

Hi,
Thanks for responding. So I guess I'm confused about what size tank I will ultimately need. Everywhere I've read says that a 40 gallon breeder is the correct size for an adult bearded dragon. Is that not the case? This kit is now on sale for $132.99 so I'm seriously considering purchasing it. I'm confused about the heat and UVB. I thought a mercury vapor bulb was ok to use? Sorry. This is all new and a little overwhelming. Thanks for the shelf liner tip. My husband's co-worker uses the reptile carpet and has had no issues but I have also heard of people saying the carpet is a pain in the neck. I'm all for what is easiest!