• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Where to get bugs?

BrandiH

Hatchling Dragon
Hey all! I think I have everything all set up and ready for my baby dragon. I would like to order some Dubai roaches or crickets this week in bulk to have on hand to feed him or her. Has anyone ordered recently and have a great recommendation on where and what I should buy?? Thanks for any advice you can give me, as I’m totally new at this.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey all! I think I have everything all set up and ready for my baby dragon. I would like to order some Dubai roaches or crickets this week in bulk to have on hand to feed him or her. Has anyone ordered recently and have a great recommendation on where and what I should buy?? Thanks for any advice you can give me, as I’m totally new at this.
You can get some dubias and silk worms and small super worms from here
www.reptilianarts.com the silk worms come in bulk like 50 w/ no food so you would need to buy it and keep containers cleaned out daily --- the super worms can be fed 1-3 on top of the salads for lures to the salad bowl - you want a bowl like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Make sure your dusting the insects not the salad w/ calcium D3 5 x per week one time per feeding and vitamins w / beta carotene 2 x per week one time per feeding --
I would also get some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com they are great salad toppers as well feed as many as you want DO NOT dust them --- if shes real young like under 3 months old get medium size BSFL --
other websites for insects / worms
www.mulberryfarms.com spendy on shipping -- horn worms are good but I would wait on those till shes older they grow really fast and will quickly out grow her
DO NOT feed any insect bigger than the space between her eyes length wise
www.dubiaroaches.com they have great roaches and other worms DO NOT feed mealworms they are too young as babies and can cause impaction
FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT PART as your dragons over all health and behavior rely on this is the basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and UVB NO COILS ---- they are inadequate --- if you need more help please ask

BrandiH

Hatchling Dragon
You can get some dubias and silk worms and small super worms from here
www.reptilianarts.com the silk worms come in bulk like 50 w/ no food so you would need to buy it and keep containers cleaned out daily --- the super worms can be fed 1-3 on top of the salads for lures to the salad bowl - you want a bowl like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Make sure your dusting the insects not the salad w/ calcium D3 5 x per week one time per feeding and vitamins w / beta carotene 2 x per week one time per feeding --
I would also get some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com they are great salad toppers as well feed as many as you want DO NOT dust them --- if shes real young like under 3 months old get medium size BSFL --
other websites for insects / worms
www.mulberryfarms.com spendy on shipping -- horn worms are good but I would wait on those till shes older they grow really fast and will quickly out grow her
DO NOT feed any insect bigger than the space between her eyes length wise
www.dubiaroaches.com they have great roaches and other worms DO NOT feed mealworms they are too young as babies and can cause impaction
FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT PART as your dragons over all health and behavior rely on this is the basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and UVB NO COILS ---- they are inadequate --- if you need more help please ask
Thank you!!! I’ll get the insects ordered tonight and tank/ lights set up this week. I will be using a 100w MVB with two probe thermometers, one on basking rock and one on “shaded side” of the tank..... After all of that is done, I’m off to get my baby! I’m so excited! Y'all have been so helpful, and it’s so much appreciated.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you!!! I’ll get the insects ordered tonight and tank/ lights set up this week. I will be using a 100w MVB with two probe thermometers, one on basking rock and one on “shaded side” of the tank..... After all of that is done, I’m off to get my baby! I’m so excited! Y'all have been so helpful, and it’s so much appreciated.
Please do not get a reptiglo mvb they are no good! Powersun and mega ray are good

BrandiH

Hatchling Dragon
Please do not get a reptiglo mvb they are no good! Powersun and mega ray are good

After doing the research online, I went with the powersun. Hopefully it will be good....if I have issues I will just switch away from the MVB. Like I said, I’m totally new at all if this. Haha.

Attachments

• 37FF273D-44CF-4E27-A2E5-F9856B0EAF6A.png
    37FF273D-44CF-4E27-A2E5-F9856B0EAF6A.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 9

BrandiH

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so when it comes it needs to be 12" from the basking spot w/ NO obstruction meaning no screen
Any advice on how to do that when my terrarium has a screen top? Haha. I bought a lamp stand for it to hang on, but didn’t know it couldn’t have a screen between the light and the basking spot...can I just remove the entire screen and have an open top? Or will the dragon get out?

BrandiH

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you to whoever recommended Dubiaroaches.com! It is going to take me a minute to get over the grossness of the situation....but I just got my colony delivered and got them settled in. There were only three dead ones out of 300! They were definitely hungry though..they are tearing up some apples and bananas...ha!

Attachments

• 8D2CA50D-D4E0-4659-BCF2-CAE0DAFFBF64.jpeg
    8D2CA50D-D4E0-4659-BCF2-CAE0DAFFBF64.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 2084D5EB-4744-4461-8A42-FAC0FB0B15FB.jpeg
    2084D5EB-4744-4461-8A42-FAC0FB0B15FB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you to whoever recommended Dubiaroaches.com! It is going to take me a minute to get over the grossness of the situation....but I just got my colony delivered and got them settled in. There were only three dead ones out of 300! They were definitely hungry though..they are tearing up some apples and bananas...ha!
Good to hear - you can feed carrots as well just remember what you feel them is what your dragon is getting too

BrandiH

Hatchling Dragon
Good to hear - you can feed carrots as well just remember what you feel them is what your dragon is getting too
Okay! Thanks! I’ll throw some carrots in there too. Is there anything I need to steer clear of specifically? I know lettuce, avocado, and rhubarb are bad...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay! Thanks! I’ll throw some carrots in there too. Is there anything I need to steer clear of specifically? I know lettuce, avocado, and rhubarb are bad...
Broccoli spinach do not feed- you can feed them stuff off of the nutrition website- do not feed carrots to your dragon too to much vit a--- they feed potato's to one of the worms can't remember which one's so they may eat potato's too -