• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When to Bathe the Beardie

Trip Hughes

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a young beardie (around 3 months) and am still in the slow process of getting it used to my hand and light petting. It is still a bit unsure about me and will often scamper away. My question is, how do I get it to a bath if I am trying not to stress it by grabbing it. I want to be careful with the handling so that it grows into a pet that is comfortable, but I also don't want to neglect getting it into the water if that is needed. I do have a shallow water dish in the tank so it can get wet if it likes. Is that adequate?

The Lizard Lady

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello there! I often discourage bathing if it's not being used to promote healthy shedding, but sometimes a decent soak once in a while really helps hydrate your dragon. When collecting your dragon for a bath, definitely follow Katlyn's advice and move very slowly, scooping him/her up from underneath and making sure to support the legs (and in some cases the tail if he/she feels insecure). Since your beardie is still relatively young, the soaks/baths can be done (I'd say) at most once a week. If you notice any signs of dehydration, a pedialyte (sugar free) soak can help quickly rehydrate them. I believe that there are also shed-aids and electrolyte soaks specifically designed for dragons on the market as well. Best of luck!