• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What Plants Are Safe To Grow In Enclosure?

Kenia

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently had to remove the synthetic plants that were in my dragons enclosure because she ocasionally tried to eat them. Since then the lack of greenery is off-putting, and I would like to add some live, edible plants for her to munch on. I've already added some celery since I know she can eat the leaves, but im hesitant on adding bean sprouts since most articles I find on what is/isn't safe for her aren't specific on if the actual leaves are fine. Her usual lettuce and leafy plants are obviously fine but I already add them to her salads, and I'm looking for something that isn't as bulky. Herbs, Garlic. Things like that.

In short;

Can I grow bean plants in her enclosure?

If not, what are other dragon-safe items I can plant?

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
Elephant plants, some types of cactus pads..... you can go to thebiodude.com and they have lots of selections of plants that u can use.

Jennie C.

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think it’s great you want to try live plants. If they are good for the air in our homes, it follows that they are good for our beardies’ homes, too!

Here are two articles I’ve found helpful:
So far I’ve tried hens and chicks, ponytail palm, parlour palm, and baby tears (pictures). He trashes them, so I just spend a few dollars on them and replace them every 6 months or so.

The plants are in a plastic pot with drainage which I slip inside a heavier, stable pot that my beardie can’t nock over.

I’d like to try growing micro-clover so his plants are hardier and also healthy for him to eat. But I have yet to find seeds.

Good luck!

Attachments

• D5B76D67-E6FF-4447-991B-5E9CBF17AA4F.jpeg
    D5B76D67-E6FF-4447-991B-5E9CBF17AA4F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • B3B0BDF1-0DCD-4A5A-B9EC-9A5379A188D5.jpeg
    B3B0BDF1-0DCD-4A5A-B9EC-9A5379A188D5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35

Jennie C.

Bearded Dragon Egg
Regarding actual food plants - most veggies need deeper containers to grow than would fit in a typical enclosure.