• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Well, here goes Cricket breeding...

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
I've set up a 10 gallon tank with 250 crickets. I get the tank heaters tomorrow, to get it up to a suitable breeding temperature.

Wish me luck!

P1060639_zpsfc00ca34.jpg

And, before you ask, I don't do roaches. We live in Florida. Roaches are NOT good in Florida. lol

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
Well, I'll know about the first batch of pinheads within the next few days. I'm thinking that I made a crucial mistake when I didn't moisten the soil all the way through before beginning, and just tried to moisten it with a spray bottle. I wasn't really expecting it to work the first time, anyways. lol This time, I moistened the soil completely, and spray it twice a day. I feel much more confident about the second batch.

Thanks for the interest!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm interested because I buy 1000 5/8inch crickets at a time that lasts me 2 1/2 weeks. By the time I get to the bottom of the barrel (so to speak) I find 4 or 5 pinheads. There is no way those were shipped to me 2 1/2 weeks prior. So in a way I already kinda breed them I just want to do it a better way. Your setup looked very simple and basic and I just got a shipment in today so I'm going to try it out!

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
Some sites say to take the soil out 2 days later, others say to take it out 2 weeks later, and put it into a different container. Apparently the bigger ones will eat the pinheads. and the eggs.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This looks like a good project. Thanks for documenting it for us!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I haven't seen any baby crickets yet but I just went down to get some to feed the frogs and I saw 2 huge female crickets laying their eggs in the soil! I waited until they were done and I took the container out and put it in another tank then put a fresh container in with the crickets. I'll let you know if anything happens!

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
...And, before you ask, I don't do roaches. We live in Florida. Roaches are NOT good in Florida. lol

I know you state that you don't do roaches...however they are a far superior live feeder to crickets, extremely easy and inexpensive to breed and establish a colony and in Florida Discoid roaches are perfectly legal according to my research.
I tried for quite awhile to get crickets to establish because we do have a few critters such as our Fire Belly toads and a couple of our tarantulas that won't do roaches but finally decided to just buy the 50 that I need for them when I need. The rest love the roaches and once I got the roaches established the colony very little time to maintain. Plus starter colonies make great gifts for your reptile buddies as well as can make you some nice spare change too.
Just a thought:)

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
I am REALLY scared that if they get out, or if I accidentally let a few go when trying to get them our or dust them for the dragon, and they will breed and take over my house. I always have crickets getting loose. I can't stand the thought of having roaches invading my house. lol

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
Maybe I could store them in my shed? And then just go out, grab what we need in a closed container and bring them in to feed? But how hot is too hot for them? My shed gets pretty toasty....

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The roaches do best meaning breed readily at between 85-95 degrees. You don't want their temperature to go above that. Also below 85 they slow down breeding which is good to know because if your colony starts growing too fast you can slow it down by lowering the temps.
I raise dubias myself and keep the temp between 88-92 degree.
The set up for roaches is very simple. There is a thread here on the forum which will tell you how. There are other pluses to going with roaches too such as the fact that the breeding colony bin will not stink like crickets do. You also don't have to clean out roach bins but at most 2 times a year. The baby roaches actually feed on the waste (called frass) that the adults produce.
All around better choice of live prey to breed:)

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
So, maybe I can just put the bins in my back yard under a roof? our temps stay there during the summer, and then in the winter, move them into my shed?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
So, maybe I can just put the bins in my back yard under a roof? our temps stay there during the summer, and then in the winter, move them into my shed?

That would be your choice...of course you could also do like a lot of folks and just place the bin in a dark closet in your house. :)
In my garage I work with too many things that have noxious fumes that would kill the roaches (paints, yard chemicals, epoxies, fuel,etc)
I know you said that you are afraid of the roaches escaping and taking over your house but I think your fear is for naught. Besides that "fear" will work with you in that you will be more aware of making sure bins are closed and that you have a good grip on the feeding container.
Dubias and as far as I know Discoids as well cannot fly, they don't hop and they also cannot climb up the slick wall of a Rubbermaid or Sterilite bin. The same goes for the glass walls of a tank enclosure so its not as likely that any would escape as you fear.
Enjoy:)

Pat B

Super Moderator
Crickets stink and I agree with you....Roaches creep me out!! Here in SC we have palmetto bugs that I think are just giant roaches....yuck!!

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah, we have palmetto bugs too. Crickets stink, roaches are creepy. I'm trying to decide what is the lesser of two evils, here. lol

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Here is a thought....how bout instead of stinky or creepy look at it in terms of which is easiest to establish, which is least maintenance and most important which is the better choice nutritiously as a live prey feeder (which translates to higher quality food =healthier dragon)...only one of them fills all of those:)