• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird eye swelling.

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, so I have a two year old female bearded dragon named Jesse, and theres random times where I take her for a bath, or when shes walking around and her eyes will swell, sometimes getting red, It looks painful when it swells so I just put her back under her light. I get swelling happens normally when they're about to shed, but this has happened on and off over the last two months. It isn't a daily occurrence, it only happens when I put her in a warm bath, or shes out from under her lights sometimes walking around. It usually takes a minute to a minute and a half before her eyes swell in a warm bath, or maybe 5 to 10 minutes out from under her light where shes walking around. I don't understand if it could be dust, the lights, something? I've looked at all kinds of other forums to find if someone asked the same question and I've never really found it. I do not have a reptile vet nearby, but I am moving states in a week or so where I know one will be nearby. Regardless, It's worried me, I don't understand what the problem is. Could it be that I use Coiled UVB lights? Every time I've switched them if I thought they were bad, but her eyes still swell at random times. Also, its not always when shes out of her tank, it's only sometimes. Like, she can be laying on me and chilling on me and be completely comfortable for an hour or two, no swelling and just looking around chilling. I do not have any videos or pictures of it, but if someone requests it I could try to catch it when it happens.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Don't use coil UVB lights! They do not provide enough UVB and may be harmful to your lizard. Please switch to a Reptisun T8 10.0 as soon as possible. Please do try and get a picture :)

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
Don't use coil UVB lights! They do not provide enough UVB and may be harmful to your lizard. Please switch to a Reptisun T8 10.0 as soon as possible. Please do try and get a picture :)
Yes, I plan on switching both of my beardies lights to them once I have enough! Should be as soon as I can! I will try to get a video or picture as soon as next time it happens.

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
I caught it when it happened for about a minute, went away once she was under her lights. It gets worse when shes in hot water, I've noticed, more red like its irritated.

Attachments

• Snapchat-259836663.jpg
    Snapchat-259836663.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Snapchat-263103601.jpg
    Snapchat-263103601.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Snapchat-1093319865.jpg
    Snapchat-1093319865.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Snapchat-1250764726.jpg
    Snapchat-1250764726.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Snapchat-1260297080.jpg
    Snapchat-1260297080.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Snapchat-1608133362.jpg
    Snapchat-1608133362.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 7

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
I caught it when it happened for about a minute, went away once she was under her lights. It gets worse when shes in hot water, I've noticed, more red like its irritated.
and by hot I mean room temperature baths!

Pest

Bearded Dragon Egg
also forgot to say, its usually more swole.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
The actual cause of eye swelling is still being debated. Some people say it's blood pressure, some people say it's eye damage, and some people say it's shedding. If it continues after you switch your light, the eye may be damaged form the coil. If it only happens during shedding days, it's probably that. If you want a second opinion, take your beardie to an exotic vet.