• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water features- waterfall.

Waterfall features for my BD's tank?

• Total voters

Charley

Hatchling Dragon
Ok, so aaaaaaaaaaaaages ago I got a water feature fountain thingy (that would be the professional term) for my boy's tank mainly because he seems to like running water and loves to prance about in it. Has anybody else got one of these bad boys?

When I got it I thought, "how cool is this going to be!" but the reality of it soon hits home- so much cleaning necessary! And locusts seem to love sneaking in to drown inside it (yuck). I use sand as a substrate and Jareth seems to especially like waiting until the whole set up is clean, wetting his feet, running around and digging in the sand, then jumping back into the fountain to make sure there's sand in it *shakes fist*. However when it IS all clean and running- it really is a gorgeous feature.

Picture is Jareth OWNING the waterfall.

DSC_0082.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My question is: Why you would provide a waterfall for a low humidity, native Desert Species :confused: ???

While it may look pleasing to the eye for a short time, not very practical & in my opinion, potentially Dangerous. It would seriously raise the humidity, possibly put the animal at risk of Upper Respiratory Infection & other heath issues. The BDs splashing around in & out would dampen\wet the substrate making it a haven for bacteria growth & again raise the humidity. The majority of us would like to lower our enclosure humidity for our BDs, not raise it. Many of us do not even provide water bowls for this reason. Along with the other issues you have mentioned.

I would NOT recommend anyone else trying this.

Charley

Hatchling Dragon
You're definitely right about the practicality! In the first place it seemed like a good idea because Jareth never drank, but always seemed to be really thirsty (he'd drink the water from the shower for a good 20 minutes) so I figured running water would do the trick. But now I just use a syringe to see if he's thirsty (drip on the nose) or a shower because the fountain is really soooooo much more trouble than its worth. Now I keep it in there, dried out, as a climbing frame! But isn't it so annoying when you buy all sorts of crazy items for your baby, thinking "this is a great idea" and it reeeeeeeeeeally turns out not to be? Trial and error until you come across a place like this where everyone is as obsessed as you with keeping your beardies happy and healthy :)

sircactuscat

Juvenile Dragon
Yes, germ is right, don't use water features as these can seriously raise the humidity levels in the viv. Beardies aren't built for humidity. You could use a water dripping system which drips water at a slow consistent rate. This you could get away with, but bare in mind, Beardies come from the desert. Hope all goes well.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thankyou so much! (Is it bad how excited I am about this forum? I think my friends/family are ready to kill me as all I'm interested in talking about is beardies!)
There's actually a topic about that... hmm... don't remember who started it. We are all insanely obsessive over our beardies and want to provide the best of what we can for them. Love to talk shop!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:) I found pics of Allie lying under her hammock on a blankie. And completely forgotten about them. :) Wrong posting, Germ, sorry. Must have been thinking about those pics at the time I was typing this.

Well, at least I can tell that my brain thinks and my fingers type what I think.

I see those water features sold for frogs and amphibians. I thought about those but why add moisture and moisture into the tank when it's not needed? A climbing feature's a good thing! I had a rock fountain once and boy was it a mess to clean up. If you aren't using it everyday, it gathers dust and algae.