• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water bowl vs no water bowl

Mellie24

Hatchling Dragon
I've read mixed options on having water bowls in BD's enclosure, it's not very deep, just enough to get his toes wet is this ok?

RyanHuff20

Hatchling Dragon
I have a water dish that is less than a half inch deep and my beardie loves both sitting in it and drinking directly from it. I like it because I feel that he knows himself better than I do so he can hydrate on his own time :)

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
I agree with Ryan. Many say that a water dish causes humidity in the enclosure but I feel the humidity cause by a half inch of water in a shallow dish is almost negligible. I could be wrong as I am no expert on enclosures but I have a desert tortoise that thrives with misting and a water bowl as long as temperatures are kept high. Why should a desert lizard not be given water as well?

Mellie24

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks, I agree, I think they should be able to hydrate as they please, mine BD seems to love the water, so why take it out
I live up in the tropics of Australia and can get quite humid, I guess it all comes down to monitoring your enclosure and what BD is doing :)
Thanks for the advice!

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
I come from the opposite camp. :D I prefer to control the conditions to best mimic my dragon's natural environment and, frankly, a water dish removes a lot of that control. There might be tropical areas of Australia, but you aren't also implying that bearded dragons of this species thrive there (i.e. they don't).

While I don't have a water dish in Reggie's tank, I am guilty of misting him in his cage from time to time. My logic is that although Australia is dry and arid where dragons are common, I'm sure it also rains there from time to time as well. ;)

The problem with a water dish, in my opinion, is that it strays too far from a dragon's typical environment. Constant humidity is not a factor in it. Also, dragons even recognizing standing water as drinkable is extremely rare. Although I have no personal experience with dragons in higher humidity environments, what I have read is that too high (and constant) humidity can lead to respiratory issues with them. Hopefully you can see why I prefer not to have personal experiences in that matter.

The bottom line is its so much easier to just mist occasionally and to soak your dragon once a week in a controlled environment. Seems to be working fine with me, and my dragon seems none the wiser to alternatives which, in my opinion, could be potentially harmful to him.

"Water bowl vs no water bowl" shouldn't even be on the table for debate. Do your research and you'll agree.

Mellie24

Hatchling Dragon
I have done my research and found a variety of answers hence why I asked the question,

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
I understand. But you should also look at the experience of the individuals providing that infomation. Is it someone with 10-15 years experience in the hobby, or some teenager that on a whim got a dragon at a reptile expo a few weeks prior and just happens to like the idea of a water bowl in the tank? On a forum, you never know. :confused:

I'm not trying to make you feel defensive, I just want to help avoid seeing a post from you in a few months that reads something along the lines of "My dragon is wheezing and there is discharge coming from his nose. Please help. :(" Will it happen? Maybe, maybe not. I hope not, but I just want to help you make sure. At the end of the day if I can't convince you, that's your choice, and I am far from an expert. But I happen to listen to experts, so take from this what you want. :cool:

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
When my dragon was a baby I had a small shallow water dish in his enclosure and he would soak himself for 5-10 mins a day and really seemed to enjoy it. He never drank from it though and once he outgrew it I couldn't find a ceramic one big enough for him and I figured a big dish would potentially raise the humidity too much so he no longer has one. I worried about dehydration more when he was really little than I do now. He gets a short bath 1-2 times a week since he hates being misted and does fine with that. I think that as long as there isn't much water (in comparison to the cage size) and the humidity is monitored daily there shouldn't be a problem with the dish. However, if the dragon doesn't use it and you don't change the water frequently bacteria will breed and you're better off without it.

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
The level of humidity that 1/4 cup of water in a shallow dish can provide will is minimal unless you are setting it under the basking light and letting it evaporate and refill every hour. Also, the main time that you are going to encounter any type of respiratory infection is when you humidity is really high (60%+) or if you humidity is just slightly higher than necessary but you are not providing the correct temperatures (40% humidity w/ 75F temperature). I strongly disagree with the common thought that many have that since an animal lives in the desert it doesn't need water. I have kept several different types of herps and worked closely during my college career with a professor that had a larger collection than most zoos. I am not saying make a pond for your beardie to go swimming in but I have had no problems with any desert species being given access to water as long as provided with the correct temperatures.

RyanHuff20

Hatchling Dragon
Humidity isn't a factor in my enclosure. Despite my water dish, humidity still remains 15% and lower. My beardie seems to love drinking from standing water and if that's what makes him happy then so be it

Mellie24

Hatchling Dragon
Is there a way I can test for humidity, where I live is naturally humid and wondering if this will effect his enclosure
I have taken his water out and will soak him through out the week
Thanks

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Many thermometers have a humidity setting as well. You use them the same you would a regular thermometer by placing a probe in the cage or a small digital one.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
My vet says ( not sure if it is true) but he said you want a bowl of water in there only for when they are shedding because it helps bring up the humidity to help them through a shed quicker. I have not had my beardies long enough to say for sure.

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I dont have a water dish in any of my beardies cages. They would susually knock tem over and cause more troubles for me and never drank from them. I feel like they get all the necessary water they need from the food they eat. And i do give them baths wen shedding to help that i also let them eat a little aloe plant here and there its supposed to be good for their skin

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
Mine only drinks water if I splash and move it around, or when I put the tap on low and he'll just lap away at the stream. I tried and put a bowl of water half an inch deep but all he did was run through it and make a mess, and I never once saw him drink from it. I guess it's up to how your beardie takes water. If he drinks it on his own, leave it in there but be cautious of the humidity. If he doesn't, take it out and just mist the veggies and bathe him. Mine stays well hydrated and he gets a major soaking a couple times a week.

beardieparents7780

Bearded Dragon Egg
No water bowl..they dont need it. You should bathe your beardie on a regular basis maybe every 2-3 days. They also get their water from greens you should give them. In their natural habitat they dont go to water to drink, they get their moisture from dew on plants. I have never gave my beardies water bowls and they are hardy and healthy. ;)

beardieparents7780

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes Yuki's mom your vet is correct to an extent... giving baths does the trick there is still no need for a water dish. Beardies arent a hands off pet..they need more than most ppl think or shall I say what the person at the pet store is selling you on. Their diet needs to be versed..lighting and temps need to be perfected. I just hate how ppl go to these pet stores and they sell them a beardie and a complete set up thats a disaster. :(

beardieparents7780

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here's my encolsure as of no a 6X2X2
632373BC-4FAB-4C8C-9086-050CF28766A7-7755-00000147F25D2D7E_zpsb143ecbb.jpg

And my male 6 months
A1CC16A0-0524-49AB-A125-4326503C9B02-3476-0000007D0240CF96_zpsf8e133f3.jpg

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I always find this particular "debate" rather amusing. The bottom line and answer to the question of whether or not a water dish or bowl or pool or for that matter any source of added humidity should be a part of your dragon's enclosure is really a matter of basic common sense and can be found by simply researching where these creatures originate in the wild and what type of climate their bodies are designed to thrive in.
In the case of bearded dragons the key factors that you will find are "arid" and "dry". Bearded dragon's are tolerant and to some degree adaptable to climates that vary from their native climates but even with that the question is "Why would you want to add something to their environment that is not something they are designed for?"
With that said I personally do not nor do I recommend anyone else contribute to excess humidity no matter how little in a bearded dragon's enclosure. Doing so simply makes the equivalent sense of sending a Polar bear to the live at the Equator.:)
In most of the US and North America ambient humidity levels are widely varied and in most places fluctuate daily or even hourly throughout the year. You will drive yourself insane as well as spend lots of money on equipment to reproduce absolute optimal conditions for your bearded dragon at all times but luckily it is not an absolute critical thing. As mentioned earlier bearded dragons are tolerant of some naturally occurring fluctuations in ambient humidity in most regions.
It is not something to worry yourself to death about.
Best thing to do is get their temps and gradients set up to where they are correct and consistent, get their lighting schedule right and their diet right and DO NOT ADD THINGS THAT ARE NOT BENEFICIAL TO THEIR WELL-BEING.
The fact of the matter is that most bearded dragons do not recognize standing water as something to drink and therefore will not drink from a dish of standing water. If yours does then great you have one that is out of the norm but even if your dragon does occasionally drink from the bowl as far as keeping him well hydrated you would serve him better by simply giving him a 20-25 minute soak in 100-105F water 3 times a month or perhaps more frequent during a shed and to make sure that he has fresh greens daily and well hydrated gut-loaded live feeder insects.Those are the facts.
Another fact...Consistent exposure to excessively high levels of humidity can and will promote URIs (upper respiratory infections) in many creatures such as bearded dragons who are not designed to handle high humidity levels in the first place.
Again..it's a mater of common sense...the creature is made for dry,arid climates and although they will tolerate a bit of humidity it is not what is best for them and in the long term keeping them constantly exposed to any more humidity does them no good and perhaps even harms them... AND YOU CAN EASILY REMOVE THAT BIT OF EXCESS BY NOT USING THE WATER DISH IN THEIR ENCLOSURE WHERE THEY SPEND THE MAJORITY OF THEIR DAY AND NIGHT.
To me the choice is simple and a no-brainer.
Here is another tid-bit of interesting beardie hydration facts I will leave you with...Many folks never see their bearded dragon actually drink water even while being soaked in the tub....Bearded dragons have an interesting adaptation in that they can actually "drink" water through their vent. In the wild when they brumate they bury themselves in moist ground and while they take their "big snooze" they absorb moisture from the ground through their vent to stay hydrated. So next time you give your beardie a bath and he is sitting their in the tub with his head above water refusing to drink don't worry he actually is filling up:)

That's my 53 cents worth!
Enjoy!!