• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vivarium Temperature- Heated Rocks

M.Cox

Bearded Dragon Egg
Amateur Question- I've heard a lot of different information about how warm my baby beardie's vivarium should be, but I'm concerned mine's not warm enough. The thermometer near the basking area is only registering in the 86 degrees F, and directly under the light, it only said about 96 degrees. Since it's a baby, I had read that the basking area needs to be in the low 100s. On the cooler end, it's down just below 70 degrees. What are some ways to increase the temperature? Do I need to get another light? Decrease the top ventilation, so the heat doesn't escape as much? I've heard heated rocks can burn their bellies, but if I keep the temperature low, but warm, would it help to add a heated rock?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Heated rocks are a bad idea. They need top-down heat. You can get a higher wattage basking bulb. I have mine on a dimmer so I can adjust it to right where I want it.

CristolMcin

Bearded Dragon Egg
Did you try a hotter basking bulb mine wasnt hot enough I had to get a 150 watt bulb. I tried to cover the screen in some areas to try and keep it hot but that caused more humidity I also have a heatpad under the tank because my house is cold in the winter.