• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vet Appointment Concerns

ReptarTheLizard9

Hatchling Dragon
Hi guys
so I brought Reptar to the Vet yesterday because I suspected she may have parasites. The vet didn’t take a stool sample but still declared however she looked fine. I assume she is ok because her poop has returned to a normal constancy but the vet still gave me a medication to give to Reptar just in case/to play it safe. I was wondering if this medicine could hurt her if she didn’t have parasites though? If anyone knows out there it would help me feel better. However some side notes are she already had one dose given to her by the vet and I have two I have to give her over the next 48 hours.

ReptarTheLizard9

Hatchling Dragon
Here is the medication btw,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi guys
so I brought Reptar to the Vet yesterday because I suspected she may have parasites. The vet didn’t take a stool sample but still declared however she looked fine. I assume she is ok because her poop has returned to a normal constancy but the vet still gave me a medication to give to Reptar just in case/to play it safe. I was wondering if this medicine could hurt her if she didn’t have parasites though? If anyone knows out there it would help me feel better. However some side notes are she already had one dose given to her by the vet and I have two I have to give her over the next 48 hours.
I would not recommend giving meds just because -- if the poop is not runny does not smell bad enough to make you leave the room she is eating and acting normal then she more than likely does not have parasites --- if you want to be sure next poop she has collect it in a paper towel place in a ziploc bag and take it to the vet to be tested-- panacur is one of the meds given to treat parasites and coccidia but you want a fecal done to see if the count is high enough to treat -- they all have some -- its when the count gets too high for them to control -- they will get real runny stools stink to high heaven some will quit eating become lethargic --- in my opinion you just dont give meds to give them w/ out a reason ---

ReptarTheLizard9

Hatchling Dragon
Okay so i shouldn’t give her meds? Will she be ok even though she already had a dose done by the vet? Also should I keep these on hand or toss them? Sorry for all the questions I’m just a bit concerned

ReptarTheLizard9

Hatchling Dragon
I also thought it was a bit odd prescribing her medication without a fecal test done But I definitely won’t give these to her knowing she most likely doesn need them

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I also thought it was a bit odd prescribing her medication without a fecal test done But I definitely won’t give these to her knowing she most likely doesn need them
If you want get a fecal done but prescribing them w/ out knowing for sure she even has them is concerning- is this vet a reptile vet? I don't think she's gonna have any adverse effects w/ the one dose just keep an eye on her behavior-- that will tell you if it has effected her- here is a website to find a reptile vet in your area www.arav.org

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Here is the medication btw,
Panacur is the commercial name for a compound called fenbendazole that is used to treat parasitic worms in many species ranging from cattle down to shrimp. It is safe to use even as a precaution. I know a breeder who treats every one of his dragons with Panacur twice a year because he mainly feeds crickets and says they are the worst feeder in terms of parasite risk.

Panacur for dogs (same thing) is like $7 on Amazon and will last you forever so I dunno how much you payed for that vet trip but I think you got played. Sorry LOL

ReptarTheLizard9

Hatchling Dragon
Hahahahah okay really good to know! Thanks for the help- I will probably not give her these meds because I don’t want to give her a medication she may not need but it is A bit concerning that the vet I went to may not be legit even tho he said he was. Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it!

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Hahahahah okay really good to know! Thanks for the help- I will probably not give her these meds because I don’t want to give her a medication she may not need but it is A bit concerning that the vet I went to may not be legit even tho he said he was. Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it!
I wouldn't take this to mean that that vet may not be "legit." Even in humans, if you go to a doctor and suspect that you have an infection, if your symptoms do not rule it out, the doctor may prescribe to you a medication as a precaution if it is cheap enough and has no side-effects while running your tests concurrently. This is done so that if you are positive, you have gotten rid of the problem a week earlier than you would have had you waited for the lab confirmation but if you are negative, you haven't done yourself any harm either except maybe spend a couple of bucks at the pharmacist for no reason. Panacur perfectly fits that description as a cheap drug without side-effects so if there are signs of a possible parasite infestation, your vet would be right to prescribe precautionary Panacur although he should have offered a confirmatory lab test done concurrently with the treatment to be sure. Now if you said you don't want to pay the $200 or whatever it costs to get the test done, then the proper course of action would be to tell you to try the Panacur and come back if there is no improvement.