• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Very Sleepy Dragon

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
The past two days I have noticed that my five year old bearded dragon, Zeus, has become quite lazy. He has been in a sleeping position away from his basking spot, but isn't actually sleeping.

I thought he could be brumating, but don't bearded dragons only brumate when there is a drop in temperatures? My room consistantly stays the same temperature and never changes, so this shouldn't cause him to brumate. He also hangs out under his hammock rather than on top of it.

He eats like a monster, as usual still. Is there anything wrong with him? I'll list my husbandry below since you'll most likely ask about lighting.

Enclosure - 40 gal.
Basking Bulb - 100 W Repti Basking Bulb -- basking spot reaches 95-100 degrees -- bulb placed 6" above the dragon
UVB Light - ReptiSun T10 5.0 Linear -- Placed 12" above the dragon
Substrate - Non-adhesive Shelf Liner

Diet & Feeding Information

Staple - Superworms & Dubias on occasion
Treats - Hornworms
Salad - Collard greens, mustard greens, carrots, red pepper, blueberries, & grapes. Sometimes this switches.
Getting him to eat salads is very hard, he picks the bugs I put on top of it out and never actually eats his salad half of the time.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I've offered him a place to brumate like I stated, but I also don't want to force him into this.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've offered him a place to brumate like I stated, but I also don't want to force him into this.
UVB Light - ReptiSun T10 5.0 Linear -- Placed 12" above the dragon the distance for the 5.0 bulb is too far --- I recommend you upgrade to a 10,.0 bulb --- you have the 5.0 which is equivalent to a T 8 bulb set for a T 5 bulb -- either move the 5.0 bulb to the 6-8 inches or upgrade your bulb to the 10.0 and leave distance providing its inside the tank --- same w/ the 5.0 it needs to be inside the tank for sure - depending on the screen on your tank you can put the 10.0 on top but ONLY if the screen is a wide holed type --- if the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank --- the 5.0 bulbs are more geared for aquarium tanks
In answering your brumation question most brumate at some point during Sept - Feb or so -- depends on the dragon they may semi brumate but this is ONLY for adults like 1 year and up NO babies

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
UVB Light - ReptiSun T10 5.0 Linear -- Placed 12" above the dragon the distance for the 5.0 bulb is too far --- I recommend you upgrade to a 10,.0 bulb --- you have the 5.0 which is equivalent to a T 8 bulb set for a T 5 bulb -- either move the 5.0 bulb to the 6-8 inches or upgrade your bulb to the 10.0 and leave distance providing its inside the tank --- same w/ the 5.0 it needs to be inside the tank for sure - depending on the screen on your tank you can put the 10.0 on top but ONLY if the screen is a wide holed type --- if the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank --- the 5.0 bulbs are more geared for aquarium tanks
In answering your brumation question most brumate at some point during Sept - Feb or so -- depends on the dragon they may semi brumate but this is ONLY for adults like 1 year and up NO babies
Thanks.