• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Very confused how to set up lighting!!!

padawanmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all! I am very excited to be able to ask questions :)

Recently adopted a 14 month old male beardie (son is still trying to decide on a name). He came with a 75 gal tank that was filled with sand (which I promptly removed), a basking rock, a hide, a basking lamp and a coil uvb lamp. Had to make some snap decisions on his lighting as when we got him home, we realized both the bulbs were busted. I went out and bought a digital thermometer with probe, a 150w basking bulb from petco and ordered a Reptisun T8 10.0 36" hood and bulb from Amazon. WIth the bulb on the screen, it was only about 85 deg which we knew would not work. Back out and bought a larger rock and a hammock. Basking area is about 101 deg. After doing more research that night, learned that you cannot put the uvb light on the screen, so cancelled order for the hood and finally two days later, rigged up two 18" Reptisun T8 10.0 fixtures, under the screen...

...the more I have been reading, I am realizing that the light's need to overlap, which makes sense. My first question, which seems kinda dumb, but with the temps of the basking light, if I have the uvb light too close to it, won't it be too hot and cause problems, like possibly melting the fixture?

We have it directly attached to the screen with picture wire, but am also learning that it's possible it needs to be closer to our no name dragon? How close can I safely put the uvb to the basking lamp?

Thanks so much in advance. We did sooo much research before getting him, but once we got him home I realized that I didn't know anything!!!

padawanmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for the advice! Am trying to upload some pics, so crossing fingers!

The tank is 48"x18.5"x21. I didn't realize how large this thing was.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v7MdhoPtuceHrLwn7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yY27yqsfC4uWyAQJ8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UaDFJrAm4W8yt7K28

If the photos worked, you can see there is a piece that runs through the middle of the tank, which is why we went with two 18" bulbs. With the understanding that it should cover about 2/3 the length of the tank. We had started out with a 36" one but couldn't figure how to mount it with that middle piece. That middle piece is part of the tank, not the lid. We are also looking into a lid that has a hinged opening through the middle, because right now we are lifting the entire thing and that is a pain! If anyone thinks a different setup would be better please pass it on!

And we have the uvb light on the basking side offset a bit because I was worried about the heat from the basking lamp causing problems with the uvb. I know the uvb doesn't put out heat, but not sure how much heat it can withstand from the basking light.

We have an infrared thermometer on the way, so excited about getting better readings! Also are getting a bulb for heat on opposite end, with a dimmer control, because apparently our house is freezing and the tank is only reading 71/72 on that side. Our dragon pretty much avoids that area right now, and I am hoping it is just because of the temperature. Should be able to fix that side tomorrow! Also hoping that the light will help heat the whole tank and the basking light doesn't have to work so hard and our guy gets a little more acitve!! Not much movement right now!

When he is on the hammock, he is about 10" or so from the uvb light, But if he is on the ground, it's more light 18". And it's the same mostly on the cooler side. Worried that he isn't close enough to the lights to be getting what he needs out of them so any info there is appreciated!!

We got some some dubia's at the pet store the other day to make sure he liked him...he loves them!! So we have ordered some and when we are more comfortable with everything, plan on setting up a colony. His previous owner stated that he ate superworms and just tossed some crickets in there from time to time, and hated veggies. Happy to announce that we have him eating collard greens right now and are trying new things. Not eating a ton, but is eating some! We also have superworms on the way, but am now reading that they are not good for him??

padawanmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also, the sandmat is going SOON! Decided that the first time we cleaned up his messes! Previous owner had him on sand and I wasn't keeping that. Will be going to tile shortly.

padawanmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just checked out the website for the nutrition, thanks for that! I had read/or was told to do the vitamins 2x weekly and the calcium 3/4 times weekly and the link you sent has vitamins 3/4x and calcium 5/6x for a 14 month old...is this what most people here are going by? Just want him healthy!! Also is it correct that you have to do the vitamins and calcium separately?