• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVI Readings with Arcadia 6% and 12% in the same cage

Clayton0520

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone here are some pics of some readings I took with my solameter just for personal knowledge. I have an ARCADIA T5 6% lamp and an ARCADIA T5 12% lamp. Both are new lamps and I let them warm up for 30 minutes before I took my readings. Also they are sitting directly on a screen top. Iv included a pic of the top as well because it’s not “real screen“ it’s really like small expanded metal. I’m not sure how many photos I can post at once so I may have to break this into 2 different posts. Look at the green writing in the photos to see what % lamp it’s of.
2B034C21-D325-44F2-A6AA-71BC3164A309.jpeg
20D61AD4-C4EB-4C89-91A3-C8D58CFA4AE0.jpeg
C11B5462-ED33-4EE2-B90E-0D1EA5733C6F.jpeg
6FBFB976-03FA-4CD9-8A26-D6A29CFA6FE3.jpeg
CBB849A3-78DF-48FA-9CF1-FB7C9533CCAC.jpeg
49FA3020-06AB-4DFC-8FCE-163362B2CDB8.jpeg
AB0EBB74-CC80-40DE-BC75-1972E7104CCB.jpeg
F368BDA6-EC35-4759-8753-A771FC03A94C.jpeg
8E6C5688-0662-4B2D-AB4D-D8B8092FD933.jpeg
0B443E33-4C75-49A2-8EEB-215CB6B48F09.jpeg
762F6B89-D5CC-48FF-B5DF-0F98C6C68C70.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey everyone here are some pics of some readings I took with my solameter just for personal knowledge. I have an ARCADIA T5 6% lamp and an ARCADIA T5 12% lamp. Both are new lamps and I let them warm up for 30 minutes before I took my readings. Also they are sitting directly on a screen top. Iv included a pic of the top as well because it’s not “real screen“ it’s really like small expanded metal. I’m not sure how many photos I can post at once so I may have to break this into 2 different posts. Look at the green writing in the photos to see what % lamp it’s of. View attachment 25340View attachment 25341View attachment 25342View attachment 25343View attachment 25344View attachment 25345View attachment 25346View attachment 25347View attachment 25348View attachment 25349View attachment 25350
We're all readings taken w/ the UVB on top of the screen? The 6% is considered a T 8 which would need to go inside the tank the screen blocks 30% of the rays-- a 12% bulb can sit on top of the screen it's considered a T 5 -- but depending on the thickness and holes of the screen it can sit on top- since you have the solar reader you need to go w/ the best readings- also distance for the T 8 needs to be 6-8 inches the T 5 top of screen 8-10 inside the tank 12-15

Clayton0520

Bearded Dragon Egg
WOW!!!! Sadie please do a little more research on the difference between a T5, T8, and a T12 lamp. You’re really starting to sound like a fool with your posts. I’m not trying to be rude but please understand the difference between a T5, T8 and T12 lamp before you post some silly comments about the percentage of a UVB lamp being related to the form factor of the lamp. You can buy a 6% lamp in a T5, T8, and an old school T12 as well as any other combination of UVB levels with any other form factor of lamp. PLEASE read the whole post and do a little research before you fly off the handle with these erroneous posts. I am new here and I realize you have “oodles” of posts but the little bit I have seen all are way WRONG. I only posted the readings and info for everyones knowledge due to the fact that some people can’t necessarily budget a SOLAMETER and the info is definitely needed in the community. I posted it for general knowledge that’s all. Again please do some research about lamps, form factor, and UVI before you post false info.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Fancy machine you got there. Costs a pretty penny too from what I see. What made you spring for one rather than use something like this?:

Is this $40 UV checker that claims to go from 0-20 on 0.5 increments inaccurate? Thanks

Clayton0520

Bearded Dragon Egg
I guess it’s the nerd in me, I really enjoy data acquisition and I enjoy knowing that my numbers are accurate. I have years of data (temp,humidity,UVI, supplements, feeding schedule, feeders, weight on all of my chameleons and all of their babies. Not to mention all the info I have on breeding all of my feeders. I’m a firm believer that knowledge is power lol.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
I guess it’s the nerd in me, I really enjoy data acquisition and I enjoy knowing that my numbers are accurate. I have years of data (temp,humidity,UVI, supplements, feeding schedule, feeders, weight on all of my chameleons and all of their babies. Not to mention all the info I have on breeding all of my feeders. I’m a firm believer that knowledge is power lol.
Yeah, I get that a solarmeter is awesome but my question is whether you chose the $250 one because you know that the $40 one I showed you is inaccurate or just didn't wanna chance it or didn't know it exists.

I'm also curious and like to try new things rather than stick to the expensive big brands for safety so I'm considering getting a solarmeter to check the output on my $17 Vivosun 125W MVB but I don't wanna spend anywhere near $200.

Clayton0520

Bearded Dragon Egg
The one you posted reads in the UVA and UVB wavelengths, that’s not what I personally would want. You could have a cheap lamp that is out putting “great“ readings but they are on the wrong wavelength and in all reality your reptile isn’t getting any UVB and you think they are. That’s one reason why I chose the meter I did. I’m all about trying new things to but if I am gonna experiment I need to have at least 1 known good device. For me that was the solarmeter. For me if I know my tester is good then I can trust that my cheaper lamps that read good are good VS a cheap meter reading good on a cheap lamp and both devices are off.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
The one you posted reads in the UVA and UVB wavelengths, that’s not what I personally would want. You could have a cheap lamp that is out putting “great“ readings but they are on the wrong wavelength and in all reality your reptile isn’t getting any UVB and you think they are. That’s one reason why I chose the meter I did. I’m all about trying new things to but if I am gonna experiment I need to have at least 1 known good device. For me that was the solarmeter. For me if I know my tester is good then I can trust that my cheaper lamps that read good are good VS a cheap meter reading good on a cheap lamp and both devices are off.
Oh, I didn't realize that the device I selected couldn't differentiate between UVa and UVB; I thought it had modes as well... Thanks

BrandiH

Hatchling Dragon
Gosh, you just made my head explode...lol. I’m new at this and I have a powersun 100w MVB (no screen) and use digital probes..temps are reading correct at 11” on my babies basking rock, however, now I’m concerned that I could be off on the rays. Haha. I also have an 18” uvb set up on top of the screen that was advised from someone here...do you think this is this too much uvb?

Clayton0520

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m not sure iv never tested a powersun, what is your make (Zoomed,Arcadia,etc), size (T5, T8, etc), and % (6%, 12%, 14%, etc) of your UVB lamp?

Clayton0520

Bearded Dragon Egg
I when I come across a T8 I will test and post my results, Iv been trying to put together a spread sheet of different types of bulbs and their readings.