• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB Setup

ReptarTheLizard9

Hatchling Dragon
Hi everyone you probably know all there is too know about Reptar from my recent posts so I will get strait to the point. First off I have a reptisun T8 light in a terrarium hood and I’m just wondering how to mount it in her tank. I put Velcro on the sides and mounted it sideways for a little while but didn’t know if that was okay? Does it need to face down with the light going downwards into the tank or can I face the light sides with the light going towards the front of the tank? If not sideways how should I mount it since my hood do have holes to put zip ties through or anywhere to put fishing line- and I definitely don’t want it falling on my baby. Thank you for the time And I hope to hear back soon.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone you probably know all there is too know about Reptar from my recent posts so I will get strait to the point. First off I have a reptisun T8 light in a terrarium hood and I’m just wondering how to mount it in her tank. I put Velcro on the sides and mounted it sideways for a little while but didn’t know if that was okay? Does it need to face down with the light going downwards into the tank or can I face the light sides with the light going towards the front of the tank? If not sideways how should I mount it since my hood do have holes to put zip ties through or anywhere to put fishing line- and I definitely don’t want it falling on my baby. Thank you for the time And I hope to hear back soon.
For best effects you need to have it directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches --- NO plastic cover over the hood -- you can use these things to hang w / 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- potted plant wire hangers -- fishing line -- I use these they work work great they are like a Velcro you need to cut them into strips and wrap around the hood https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
It needs to be shining downward no sideways etc

ReptarTheLizard9

Hatchling Dragon
I’m sorry to ask this but do you mind sending a picture of one in a 40 gallon tank with the same stuff I have? I just am having trouble picturing this in my tank. The brand of light i have is the Reptisun 10.0 T8 17 watts light, and the cover I have for it is the reptisun T8 terrarium hood 30”. Thanks so much Sadie I hones don’t know what I would do without this forum!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m sorry to ask this but do you mind sending a picture of one in a 40 gallon tank with the same stuff I have? I just am having trouble picturing this in my tank. The brand of light i have is the Reptisun 10.0 T8 17 watts light, and the cover I have for it is the reptisun T8 terrarium hood 30”. Thanks so much Sadie I hones don’t know what I would do without this forum!
I don't have a pic of a 40 gallon tank - what is it your needing help w/? If you take a pic of your tank I will try and help from there

ReptarTheLizard9

Hatchling Dragon
These are pictures of the things I have. I’m not home currently so I can’t send a pic of my tank now

Attachments

• 97DEE355-0CCE-47FE-A94D-B0E325822295.jpeg
    97DEE355-0CCE-47FE-A94D-B0E325822295.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 2419F6D5-334F-4DF2-B041-0D5BEDD73C07.jpeg
    2419F6D5-334F-4DF2-B041-0D5BEDD73C07.jpeg
    774.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 8C42A1DE-9DAA-4370-B984-735F9B60BAE0.jpeg
    8C42A1DE-9DAA-4370-B984-735F9B60BAE0.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 19

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
These are pictures of the things I have. I’m not home currently so I can’t send a pic of my tank now
The T 8 needs to be inside the tank--- I would recommend you upgrade to a T 5 but you would need to upgrade the hood I would go w/a 24" hood - the tank is it a Carolina cages?

Lorikm76

Bearded Dragon Egg
can you return the hood to where ever you bought it? This is what I was recommended to buy for my Reptisun T8 bulb like yours. Its only 10.97 at Walmart and only fits T8.... Works great for me! and much cheaper. I took out the bulb that came with the fixture and replaced it with the 24 inch Reptisun T8 bulb.. I bought heavy duty velcro at home depot and it sticks to the back of the inside of the glass aquarium perfect. Its been in for a week now and hasn't fallen and the velcro hasn't loosened at all!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
can you return the hood to where ever you bought it? This is what I was recommended to buy for my Reptisun T8 bulb like yours. Its only 10.97 at Walmart and only fits T8.... Works great for me! and much cheaper. I took out the bulb that came with the fixture and replaced it with the 24 inch Reptisun T8 bulb.. I bought heavy duty velcro at home depot and it sticks to the back of the inside of the glass aquarium perfect. Its been in for a week now and hasn't fallen and the velcro hasn't loosened at all!
This bulb is not for a reptile and I would not use it also if your fixture / hood has no reflector on it its not doing any good --- your dragon needs a good UVB and hood w/ a reflector to get the UVB he needs I recommend you get rid of that bulb and replace w/ the a reptile bulb that is mentioned above along w/ a good hood -- your dragon may take months to show signs of illness or he can show it right away -- I would not run your dragons health w/ the cheap bulb
1611499006238.png

This is without a doubt, one of the most trusted if not THEE most trusted UVB bulb on the market right now for bearded dragons. This fluorescent light will provide an adequate amount of UVB for most enclosures and will last anywhere from 6 to 12 months on average.

Lorikm76

Bearded Dragon Egg
This bulb is not for a reptile and I would not use it also if your fixture / hood has no reflector on it its not doing any good --- your dragon needs a good UVB and hood w/ a reflector to get the UVB he needs I recommend you get rid of that bulb and replace w/ the a reptile bulb that is mentioned above along w/ a good hood -- your dragon may take months to show signs of illness or he can show it right away -- I would not run your dragons health w/ the cheap bulb
View attachment 25335
This is without a doubt, one of the most trusted if not THEE most trusted UVB bulb on the market right now for bearded dragons. This fluorescent light will provide an adequate amount of UVB for most enclosures and will last anywhere from 6 to 12 months on average.
thats the bulb I use and its for reptiles. t8 10.0 reptisun

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I bought the cheap fixture to put my Reptisun T8 bulb in. i threw away the cheap bulb that came with the fixture.
The fixture/ hood MUST have a reflector in it or the bulb is not doing any good --- it also must be properly placed in order for it to do any good --- T 5' s and T 8's need proper distance for best effect of the UVB rays