• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB lighting.

dudleythedragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi, I just wanted to check to see if Beardie's need UVB light, I've heard mixed things about the topic, but have one on just in case.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, uvb is very important for their digestion. It produces the necessary Vitamin D needed to break down their food and properly digest it.

What kind do you have? Is it a tube or a coil? Who manufactures your bulb? There are quite a number of bulbs on the market, but not all are for bearded dragons.

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Absolutely and many of the manufacturers have incorporated it right into the bulbs now making them dual purpose. The ReptiSun 10.0 is what I use (they are some topics here that talk about the top two makers) as it has had the highest rating for UVA/UVB saturation over a greater distance.

Considering I just read you had a 90 gallon terrarium, I would say you should stick with that to cover the long distance from your lighting to the basking area. With a 90 gallon you are talking at least 18 inches, right?

dudleythedragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yeah I only have a 5.0 on there right now, same as I have for my turtle (vital for them as well for the same reasons, actually...pretty much all reptiles do!) and its not the tube, just over where he basks... I need some cash for the long tube!... Well, the fixture...the fixture is 159.99!! and its 24'', not 18! lol

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm. The 5.0 does not produce a high level of uvb needed for Dudley. It's an OK bulb, but not the best one out there. It will definitely need to be replaced after 5 months. You may want to consider upgrading to the 10.0. It produces stronger UVB emissions needed for your beardie's digestion process.

You can use calcium with D3 5 times per week, on 1 dusting per day.

dudleythedragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yeah I cahnge the 5.0's every half a year for my turtle too.... When I get teh funds I plan to get a tube all the across his tank instead, and the 10.0

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cool. Here's a link to a pretty affordable retailer. They have pretty good deals for a lot of items.
Pet Mountain

10to1_oddball

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OH YES! Definitely that is a yes! I have Zilla's Desert Series 50 florescent bulb for my beardie. That is what I would suggest on my part. They are pretty good.

KAJA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oddball, I hope it okay to call you oddball for short, I appreciate your feedback in this posting but would like you to specify why you feel this is a good resource for lighting. I specifically would like to know as I have seen you on other forums, under different names providing a similar in and out blurb about this particular light. We would appreciate you providing more general feedback and contribution to the forum before joining and immediately advertising a particular bulb.

Thanks for understanding.