• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB Lighting

mwalker225

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I have seen a bunch of different discussions and opinions in various groups about BD UVB lighting...I like using the Powersun Bulbs because they give of UVB and heat so its two in one ( I also use a basking light and CHE (at night)) but I know a lot of people say to use T5 UVB Strip light...does anyone know if one is actually better than the other or if its just a choice of preference? She doesn't seem to be acting different for as long as I have been using the Powersun, the bulbs just tend to last longer than any other bulb I have used and I like them for that reason as well.

Thanks!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I have seen a bunch of different discussions and opinions in various groups about BD UVB lighting...I like using the Powersun Bulbs because they give of UVB and heat so its two in one ( I also use a basking light and CHE (at night)) but I know a lot of people say to use T5 UVB Strip light...does anyone know if one is actually better than the other or if its just a choice of preference? She doesn't seem to be acting different for as long as I have been using the Powersun, the bulbs just tend to last longer than any other bulb I have used and I like them for that reason as well.

Thanks!
The Powersun is a good MVB -- it is good to add a second UVB as sometimes the MVB does not give off enough UVB -- adding another T 5 or T 8 is good --- but you must have it placed properly and correct distance as well --- you do not need a second basking bulb --- the CHE should be only used at nite to keep tanks above 65 and not above 75 -- what wattage are you using for your PowerSun ?

mwalker225

Bearded Dragon Egg
The Powersun is a good MVB -- it is good to add a second UVB as sometimes the MVB does not give off enough UVB -- adding another T 5 or T 8 is good --- but you must have it placed properly and correct distance as well --- you do not need a second basking bulb --- the CHE should be only used at nite to keep tanks above 65 and not above 75 -- what wattage are you using for your PowerSun ?
My Powersun is 100W but I ordered the 160W and that comes in tomorrow. And yes my CHE is only on at night. I was thinking of doing my Powersun and Basking in a dual fixture and then put a T5 strip on as well

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My Powersun is 100W but I ordered the 160W and that comes in tomorrow. And yes my CHE is only on at night. I was thinking of doing my Powersun and Basking in a dual fixture and then put a T5 strip on as well
You are going to have too much heat --- the Power Sun should be good for heat its the UVB that might not be enough -- the 100 watt should be about 12" w/ NO screen above basking decor -- w /a screen 8-10 inches -- going w/ a 160 watt may be overkill --- make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get a basking temp and the distance for that should be 14-16 through a screen -- if you get a T 5 the screen will play apart on the placement and distance

mwalker225

Bearded Dragon Egg
You are going to have too much heat --- the Power Sun should be good for heat its the UVB that might not be enough -- the 100 watt should be about 12" w/ NO screen above basking decor -- w /a screen 8-10 inches -- going w/ a 160 watt may be overkill --- make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get a basking temp and the distance for that should be 14-16 through a screen -- if you get a T 5 the screen will play apart on the placement and distance

image.jpgSo the bulb in the back corner is my basking spot and the one on the left towards the middle is my 100W Powersun...I was going to put both of those in a dual fixture in the back corner above the grapevine

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 25308So the bulb in the back corner is my basking spot and the one on the left towards the middle is my 100W Powersun...I was going to put both of those in a dual fixture in the back corner above the grapevine
I would not use both of those bulbs in one spot your going to cook your dragon----- at this point w/ the way it's set up now he's not getting any uvb-- either get the UVB T 5 and keep the basking bulb or get rid of the basking bulb and move the mvb over to where the basking bulb is and get the T 5 it's one of the best on the market- 160 watt and a 100 watt is way too much heat! What are your basking temps w/ the powersun? You MUST have a digital probe theremomter placed on the spot where he sits -- I posted distances

mwalker225

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would not use both of those bulbs in one spot your going to cook your dragon----- at this point w/ the way it's set up now he's not getting any uvb-- either get the UVB T 5 and keep the basking bulb or get rid of the basking bulb and move the mvb over to where the basking bulb is and get the T 5 it's one of the best on the market- 160 watt and a 100 watt is way too much heat! What are your basking temps w/ the powersun? You MUST have a digital probe theremomter placed on the spot where he sits -- I posted distances
Basking temp is 108 currently...and it’s 100W and 150W so I’ll change the 100 to 160 then remove the 150 and put in a T5...and I’ll be getting a temp gun as I heard those are very good

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Basking temp is 108 currently...and it’s 100W and 150W so I’ll change the 100 to 160 then remove the 150 and put in a T5...and I’ll be getting a temp gun as I heard those are very good
The IR guns are good but some surfaces they can't read like hammocks- it's best to have both- the 160 is going to be too much if your getting 108 now w/ the 100 watt- and distance 12" unobstructed- if w/ the screen it should be 8-10 inches

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I think they meant they are getting 108 with the 100w powersun AND the 150w basking bulb they have currently, so removing both and then just using 160w basking bulb hopefully it should not rise too much!x
The IR guns are good but some surfaces they can't read like hammocks- it's best to have both- the 160 is going to be too much if your getting 108 now w/ the 100 watt- and distance 12" unobstructed- if w/ the screen it should be 8-10 inches