• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Urgent Help Needed

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
34E40974-4958-4EEF-8CD5-2B3D5B0FF1B0.jpeg

This is Zeus. Lately he has been so lazy. He won’t even bask properly. He lays underneathe the hammock, still under the heat lamp tho, just a far distance. Getting him to eat is tricky sometimes when I have to really encourage him to eat. I’ve tried bee pollen on salads and changing up his salad stuff, he refuses to touch any greens. He used to go crazy as soon as he saw a superworm now it takes him a minute to be interested. He doesn’t poop every day and sometimes goes two days without pooping. His beard looks a little puffy at all times. His beard throbs when he eats or when I have him in the bath. Like he just puffs it in and out. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 25271
This is Zeus. Lately he has been so lazy. He won’t even bask properly. He lays underneathe the hammock, still under the heat lamp tho, just a far distance. Getting him to eat is tricky sometimes when I have to really encourage him to eat. I’ve tried bee pollen on salads and changing up his salad stuff, he refuses to touch any greens. He used to go crazy as soon as he saw a superworm now it takes him a minute to be interested. He doesn’t poop every day and sometimes goes two days without pooping. His beard looks a little puffy at all times. His beard throbs when he eats or when I have him in the bath. Like he just puffs it in and out. Any ideas what could be wrong?
How old is Zeus? Tell me the basking temps and how your taking them and the UVB your using -- brand and bulb and where in the tank -- we need to rule those things out to see if hes semi brumating and if its normal behavior but first these things need to be ruled out along w/ age

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
View attachment 25271
Hi; We rescue and rehome. Sounds like an Upper Respiratory infection; he needs a reptile Vet ASAP, Google & ask breeders or pet stores for a good Vet. Also, change out the UVB; that needs replacing every 6Mnths religiously and I hope u are using the Reptisun 10.0 T5; that’s the best one. Without it; they can’t eat, move or function; they need it for vitamin D absorption & calcium powder breakdown; and to have strong bones otherwise it leads to MBD/death. Order from Amazon or Carolina custom cages; the length should cover 70 percent of the tank. Also he’s an adult correct? He needs a 48inch long by 24deep/24 high to thrive it’s a 120glon tank; the tank could be too small. Now; puffing his beard could mean he has a an Upper respiratory infection; he needs a vet asap & 3shots of antibiotics.They get this by getting water in their ears, leaving water bowls in the tank overnite and having damp stuff in the cage and/or the humidity behind higher than 40; humidity should be between 30-40 never ever higher than 40. In the meantime get a digital thermometer and digital Hygomwter those are the only accurate ones and no baths till he gets to the vet and clears up this infection.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hi; We rescue and rehome. Sounds like an Upper Respiratory infection; he needs a reptile Vet ASAP, Google & ask breeders or pet stores for a good Vet. Also, change out the UVB; that needs replacing every 6Mnths religiously and I hope u are using the Reptisun 10.0 T5; that’s the best one. Without it; they can’t eat, move or function; they need it for vitamin D absorption & calcium powder breakdown; and to have strong bones otherwise it leads to MBD/death. Order from Amazon or Carolina custom cages; the length should cover 70 percent of the tank. Also he’s an adult correct? He needs a 48inch long by 24deep/24 high to thrive it’s a 120glon tank; the tank could be too small. Now; puffing his beard could mean he has a an Upper respiratory infection; he needs a vet asap & 3shots of antibiotics.They get this by getting water in their ears, leaving water bowls in the tank overnite and having damp stuff in the cage and/or the humidity behind higher than 40; humidity should be between 30-40 never ever higher than 40. In the meantime get a digital thermometer and digital Hygomwter those are the only accurate ones and no baths till he gets to the vet and clears up this infection.
I have all right husbandry it’s veeen reviewed. I rescued him he has been like this for a while. It’s just provressed. Making a vet visit now thnaks

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
How old is Zeus? Tell me the basking temps and how your taking them and the UVB your using -- brand and bulb and where in the tank -- we need to rule those things out to see if hes semi brumating and if its normal behavior but first these things need to be ruled out along w/ age
T5 10.0 UVB Linear. 100W bulb. No way to check humidity but how do I lower it if it’s too high?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Is it just me or does his beard look puffy or saggy? Is it supposed to be like that. It’s currently really dark righ now

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
T5 10.0 UVB Linear. 100W bulb. No way to check humidity but how do I lower it if it’s too high?
You need to get a hygrometer first then we will see if it's too high- where is the UVB? Inside the tank or on top of screen? If it's on top the screen MUST be a wide hole type-- if it's a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- is he black bearding?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
You need to get a hygrometer first then we will see if it's too high- where is the UVB? Inside the tank or on top of screen? If it's on top the screen MUST be a wide hole type-- if it's a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- is he black bearding?
Inside the tank. It is zip tied across the top of his enclosure. It isn't completely black but yes it is very dark. Sometimes its completely black. He didn't touch his salad today at all. He has a vet visit this Saturday at 5.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Inside the tank. It is zip tied across the top of his enclosure. It isn't completely black but yes it is very dark. Sometimes its completely black. He didn't touch his salad today at all. He has a vet visit this Saturday at 5.
What is the distance from basking spot and bulb? T 5 or a T 8

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Are you using the 5.0 bulb -- or did you take it out and put the 10.0 bulb in?
I just kept the bulb in it that it came with and kept the second bulb it came with as a back up. He is due for a change out in 1 month.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just kept the bulb in it that it came with and kept the second bulb it came with as a back up. He is due for a change out in 1 month.
Ok so the 5.0 should be in the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor --- it is considered to be a T 8 which is not strong enough to go thru the screen and distance needs to be closer --- the 10.0 is stronger and it CAN sit on top of the screen BUT the screen needs to be a wide hole type screen --- no fine mesh it too will need to be in the tank but a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor ---- please make your changes then watch the behavior please

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hope there's nothing seriously wrong with Zeus! Poor fella. Keep us posted.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Ok so the 5.0 should be in the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor --- it is considered to be a T 8 which is not strong enough to go thru the screen and distance needs to be closer --- the 10.0 is stronger and it CAN sit on top of the screen BUT the screen needs to be a wide hole type screen --- no fine mesh it too will need to be in the tank but a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor ---- please make your changes then watch the behavior please
His UVB is inside his tank. Still nothing. I rescued him and he’s always had a little trouble but I’m worrying now so he sees the vet saturday

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
@Barb.Littlefield @Sadie The vet today examined Zeus and said he looked completely healthy and weighs the amount of an average adult bearded dragon, 350 grams. I went with a husbandry, dietary, and supplements info sheet on Zeus' behalf and they reviewed it saying my husbandry was spot on. They think this is just a small but not complete form a brumation which explains him slowing down on eating and pooping. I purchased a grams scale yesterday and I will still be keeping on eye on him and making sure he does not drop any weight. Thanks for suggesting the vet i'm glad I took him and now know for sure. I always say it's better to get professional help then depend on the forum :)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
@Barb.Littlefield @Sadie The vet today examined Zeus and said he looked completely healthy and weighs the amount of an average adult bearded dragon, 350 grams. I went with a husbandry, dietary, and supplements info sheet on Zeus' behalf and they reviewed it saying my husbandry was spot on. They think this is just a small but not complete form a brumation which explains him slowing down on eating and pooping. I purchased a grams scale yesterday and I will still be keeping on eye on him and making sure he does not drop any weight. Thanks for suggesting the vet i'm glad I took him and now know for sure. I always say it's better to get professional help then depend on the forum :)
Yay! Glad to hear Zeus is fine! Definitely better to know for sure. I think it's less stressful for you as well as him. Thanks for update. Doing happy dance for you and Zeus!

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Good news! I was going to mention that our BD acted this way and was dehydrated. The vet thought it looked that way from blood work but honestly if you think that could be a factor just feed her some hornworms (not frequently but maybe once or twice a week?) and/or see if she’ll drink from a bowl. The problem with dehydration is that it causes fatigue and loss of appetite so they don’t want to eat or drink, thereby causing a cycle that’s hard to break. We actually syringe fed liquids (Pedialyte mixed with water) twice a day for a couple of weeks - look up a how-to video if you want to go this route although it’s probably not a good idea without a diagnosis because I think they can be over hydrated. But the hornworms are easy and most go crazy for them because of their color for one. I’d do that and then try to push some greens or veggies - even if you need to try some new more colorful ones for a while to stimulate appetite. Just my 2 cents. Hopefully things are going well and you can just keep this info if needed in the future!