• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Upper respiratory infection

Sugar780

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everybody. I'm new. My beloved pride and joy sugar is 13 years of age. She has pretty much grown up with me and has been my lil pal as long as I can remember. Just a couple months ago her nostrils have sealed up. She breathes out of his mouth and afterward a clicking sound is heard when she swallows. Now I did take her to the vet. They gave me some antibiotics and I gave it to her. The first day it lowered the swelling in her nose but as the days went on the antibiotics just seem to stop working. Which was weird. So I thought she was going to die soon since her age. But it's been 2 months and she is still alive but she still has her symptoms. She has been very skinny. And her eyes don't really open very much. But I have been giving her warm water from syringes with calcium powder every few days. And today I gave her some crushed up mealworms and she seems to be holding it down. I just want to see if any of you guys/gals have any tips or advice to get my lil sugs better. It would mean a lot to me. Thank you for your time.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
13 is a good long life! I would take her back to the vet if she still has the same symptoms. I've never heard of their nostrils closing up unless it's stuck shed? Is she eating anything on her own? If not I would make slurries using her greens and bugs and a bit of plain coconut water and add the calcium and multivitamin and whatever else you have on hand.

I have a friend that is FB friends with a vet, and he recommends bringing the beardie into the bathroom and shut the door and fill the tub with real hot water and get it steamy. Sit in the room with the beardie for about 20min and the hold the beardie at an angle where their head is facing the floor. It sounds counterintuitive since you would think the humidity would cause a URI but apparently it helps loosen up whatever gunk is stuck in their lungs. This is supposed to help along with a vet visit and antibiotics.

Sugar780

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay I'll that that a try! But yeah her nostrils arnt plugged up with sheds. Its almost like her tissues are swelled up. Sometimes it swells down and it goes back up. I wonder if it's the sand in her cage that's doing it. Because a couple years back I had a mix of sand and dirt and she was doing just find with it. Because I did put new sand in 5 months and I wonder if she's. it reacting well with it. Hmm. And yeah haha. Sugar is my lil pride and joy. She's a old lil gal that's for sure

Fernfronds

Hatchling Dragon
I would suggest switching from sand to reptile carpet or plain paper towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea I would have to agree with removing the sand just in case she is getting some into her nose...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It sounds like she may have inhaled some sand and it's irritating her nostrils.