• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two Enclosure? Advice needed

Kenai

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone,

I’ll try to make this a simple read.

Do you think it’s harmful to have two enclosures for a bearded dragon? I mean like a main enclosure and a second smaller one that the beardie spends a few hours in each day. I’ll explain wh I ask.

I’ve been working from home since April because of Covid. I setup my office in the room with my beardie and spent 9 + hours in there on week days.

In November I moved my office into the basement because we got a puppy and he was able to get into my guinea pig enclosure that is also in the room with Ozzy my beardie.

The basement gets too cold at night and I am afraid that bringing Ozzy’s permanent home into my current office wouldn’t work because it’s 120 gallon and keeping the temps right would be hard in that room.

I could setup her old 75 gallon and bring her down a few hours each day to hang out. I have all the lighting fixtures and old hide, branches. I just don’t want to stress her out by moving her back and forth but I know she’s not getting enough attention right now.

Any advice would be helpful. Please know that we still spend time with her, it’s just not the same as me being in the room all day almost everyday. Lastly, I can’t put a top on my guinea pig enclosure as it is 30 sqft.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone,

I’ll try to make this a simple read.

Do you think it’s harmful to have two enclosures for a bearded dragon? I mean like a main enclosure and a second smaller one that the beardie spends a few hours in each day. I’ll explain wh I ask.

I’ve been working from home since April because of Covid. I setup my office in the room with my beardie and spent 9 + hours in there on week days.

In November I moved my office into the basement because we got a puppy and he was able to get into my guinea pig enclosure that is also in the room with Ozzy my beardie.

The basement gets too cold at night and I am afraid that bringing Ozzy’s permanent home into my current office wouldn’t work because it’s 120 gallon and keeping the temps right would be hard in that room.

I could setup her old 75 gallon and bring her down a few hours each day to hang out. I have all the lighting fixtures and old hide, branches. I just don’t want to stress her out by moving her back and forth but I know she’s not getting enough attention right now.

Any advice would be helpful. Please know that we still spend time with her, it’s just not the same as me being in the room all day almost everyday. Lastly, I can’t put a top on my guinea pig enclosure as it is 30 sqft.
Watch the behavior-- she may or may not go thru relocation stress they usually do and the back and forth may upset her- they do not like change

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
A lot of people say they give their beardies free roam of the house all day and their beardies apparently love it, so I don’t see that it could be too much of a problem as long as they don’t show clear signs of distress!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A lot of people say they give their beardies free roam of the house all day and their beardies apparently love it, so I don’t see that it could be too much of a problem as long as they don’t show clear signs of distress!
Free roam is good but you must have a warming area set up and remember they need UVB- at least 4 hrs per day-

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Free roam is good but you must have a warming area set up and remember they need UVB- at least 4 hrs per day-
I don’t allow my beardie free roam, and I don’t think I ever really would do. I was just pointing out many people do that and their beardies are quite happy so it’s very possible OP beardie would adapt to being moved between two environments :)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I don’t allow my beardie free roam, and I don’t think I ever really would do. I was just pointing out many people do that and their beardies are quite happy so it’s very possible OP beardie would adapt to being moved between two environments :)
I have a friend who travels with his beardie several times a year from NJ to ME. He has tanks set up in both locations and she stays in her smaller tank while he visits (usually for about 2 weeks each time). Whenever I've seen her she doesn't seem stressed and adjusts very well. She likes to be held and is very friendly. 'Course she's been taking the trips since she was a baby, but still. :)

Kenai

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you everyone, these responses have been helpful.
I’ll move forward with seeing her old enclosure back up and take it slow. If she doesn’t like it then I’ll have to figure something else out. She always liked being taken out for a bit to watch TV with me but I haven’t done that since she had surgery.