• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Torn Nail

NBLD

Bearded Dragon Egg
Arya has a torn nail - ripped off the nail bed, but still hanging on. I've been using neosporin with a pain reliever, and was wondering if there is anything else I should be doing. She seems to be favoring the hand, holding it up slightly, so as not to touch anything.

Will the nail fall off? If so, should I keep using neosporin? If it doesn't shed, how long before a vet visit?

I'm monitoring her currently. Pics of her and her raised hand & pics up close of the nail are attached.

Thanks in advance.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The nail may fall off, you are doing the right thing with the neosporin, continue until it appears to have healed whether the claw drops off or not. There should not be a shed issue.

NBLD

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you.

How often should I use the neosporin? I applied about 8 hours ago.

If it heals and seems delicate, should I have it removed?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
An application twice a day (Morning & at night prior to lights out) & after baths will be good. As far as having it removed, if it heals, I do not believe that it would be necessary, these guys are quite resilient, hardy & adaptable creatures. But only time will answer that question.

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but my bearded just did almost the exact same thing, except the black part of the nail is completely gone and only a little bit of white remains. Are you just using Neosporin on it? You said pain reliever too, so was just wondering...
Hope your beardie feels better- yours and mine are in the same boat.

NBLD

Bearded Dragon Egg
I used a generic antibiotic gel which just happened to have a pain reliever - basically a neosporin. The black part of the nail came off yesterday and I can tell she's feeling better and it's healing, as she's not been favoring her hand.

Hope your beardie feels better very soon. :)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but my bearded just did almost the exact same thing, except the black part of the nail is completely gone and only a little bit of white remains. Are you just using Neosporin on it? You said pain reliever too, so was just wondering...
Hope your beardie feels better- yours and mine are in the same boat.
Actually it's not recommended that antibiotic ointments, cremes or gels WITH pain relievers be used on reptiles because there is a possibility that the added pain reliever in them can harm or even kill reptiles.
You can however safely use any generic or name brand double or triple antibiotic first aide ointment WITHOUT pain reliever. I personally prefer the cream forms as opposed to ointment due to that it appears to soak in quicker.
One thing to remember when using any of these is to properly apply it. You do not want a heavy coating, just a light coating. Once it is applied then wait about 15 minutes and then lightly dab off any excess with a clean paper towel, cloth or piece of gauze.
Heavy coatings or leaving excess amounts of the first aide ointment is not good because the petroleum base in them will actually attract dirt, dust and bacteria into the wound.
Lastly just be aware that both neosporin and bacitracin can cause allergic reaction in reptiles as well as people so keep an eye on the wound and if it shows any signs of irritation or does not appear to be healing discontinue using the product.
I have an allergy to bacitracin. If I apply a product with it to a wound or it inadvertantly gets into a wound I get these nice lovely water blisters within a couple of hours..smh:)
I'm only warning you about these things because although like triple antibiotic products there are other great "people products" that can be added to your arsenal to help your dragon but they all should be fully researched and any potential side effects or dangers need to be understood before they are used on your dragon. Just because it is over the counter and commonly used does not necessarily equal that it is without risks and 100% safe:)
Just my thirty + cents worth...Lol...Hope your dragon's nail heals fast!
Enjoy!!