• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too much food?

Muham816

Hatchling Dragon
I was just curious if there was such a thing as overfeeding beardies? Do they always stop eating when they are full or will they gorge themselves if given the opportunity?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was just curious if there was such a thing as overfeeding beardies? Do they always stop eating when they are full or will they gorge themselves if given the opportunity?
They will over eat -- some do some dont-- keep track of the dragons weight on a kitchen food scale --weigh in grams - I took mine to the vet and she said Hiccup was over weight and needed to lose about 40 grams - he was 540 at the time - how long is he? - a good weight is 300 + grams so go from there -- I have seen some really chunky dragons

Muham816

Hatchling Dragon
They will over eat -- some do some dont-- keep track of the dragons weight on a kitchen food scale --weigh in grams - I took mine to the vet and she said Hiccup was over weight and needed to lose about 40 grams - he was 540 at the time - how long is he? - a good weight is 300 + grams so go from there -- I have seen some really chunky dragons
She’s about a foot long and just turned 5 months. But it seems she’s constantly hungry, she’ll eat at least 40 dubia in a sitting plus her daily salad. Any time I come close to her enclosure she runs along the front of it looking for food. I didn’t know if this was normal behavior or not. She’s fairly thin for her length as well.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She’s about a foot long and just turned 5 months. But it seems she’s constantly hungry, she’ll eat at least 40 dubia in a sitting plus her daily salad. Any time I come close to her enclosure she runs along the front of it looking for food. I didn’t know if this was normal behavior or not. She’s fairly thin for her length as well.
How big are the roaches your feeding ? If they are too small she will eat more of them? Dubias are filling -- please post a pic of her w/ one of the roaches your feeding -- offer her more salads and if she eats them thats good -- shes a baby and is still growing -- we dont want to stunt her growth by not feeding her enough -- the size of the dubias please so I can see

Muham816

Hatchling Dragon
How big are the roaches your feeding ? If they are too small she will eat more of them? Dubias are filling -- please post a pic of her w/ one of the roaches your feeding -- offer her more salads and if she eats them thats good -- shes a baby and is still growing -- we dont want to stunt her growth by not feeding her enough -- the size of the dubias please so I can see
4E477C1B-BEEF-4299-87DC-E63290DA68D0.jpeg

Muham816

Hatchling Dragon
Those are way too small- and she does look under weight- what size is that roach?
That one was about a half inch, that is the smallest size I feed her. Some I feed are slightly bigger around 3/4 an inch.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That one was about a half inch, that is the smallest size I feed her. Some I feed are slightly bigger around 3/4 an inch.
I would go w/ 1 inch roaches and feed her as many as she will eat-- I would add some super worms feed every other day as they are a treat worm like 3 of them get large- also some horn worms order small amounts as they grow really fast-- they are a hydrating worm feed 1-2 everyday -- you can get them from here www.dubiaroaches.com

Muham816

Hatchling Dragon
I would go w/ 1 inch roaches and feed her as many as she will eat-- I would add some super worms feed every other day as they are a treat worm like 3 of them get large- also some horn worms order small amounts as they grow really fast-- they are a hydrating worm feed 1-2 everyday -- you can get them from here www.dubiaroaches.com
I do the super worms a few times a week, also I sprinkle her salads with bsfl. I’ll pick up some horn worms for her, she hasn’t had any of those yet.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do the super worms a few times a week, also I sprinkle her salads with bsfl. I’ll pick up some horn worms for her, she hasn’t had any of those yet.
They are expensive at the petstore- this website is really good-- you can get hornworms from them 12 for $5 petstores 4 for $10 ridiculous

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They are expensive at the petstore- this website is really good-- you can get hornworms from them 12 for $5 petstores 4 for $10 ridiculous
Please check out the prices and save yourself some money

Muham816

Hatchling Dragon
I know! It’s ridiculous how much they charge for feeders, I want to start breeding a little bit of a variety for her to eat. I’m going to go order some of those horn worms now thank you!