• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tiny, tiny sliver/white insects in my feeder discoid roach colony??

Impawsible_Squad

Juvenile Dragon
I was feeding my discoid roaches and I noticed TINY sliver/white insects accumulated on the scraps of food from the last feeding. They're too tiny to take a photo of. I think they are springtails (I never introduced springtails to the colony) but even if they are, do they pose a threat to my colony? There already is a whole bunch of them now that I'm looking so I really hope not. There's been no sluggish roaches or roach deaths in my small colony

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I was feeding my discoid roaches and I noticed TINY sliver/white insects accumulated on the scraps of food from the last feeding. They're too tiny to take a photo of. I think they are springtails (I never introduced springtails to the colony) but even if they are, do they pose a threat to my colony? There already is a whole bunch of them now that I'm looking so I really hope not. There's been no sluggish roaches or roach deaths in my small colony
Same here, started a discoid colony and they popped up a couple months later, (ill be honest im not shure if they parasitize the roaches/ their egg) i highly doubt they do as they only eat dead matter , like you ive never had a death or any roaches with deformed wings, from my knowledge spring tails only eat Detritus and poop, in fact while the roaches are molting would be the perfect chance for the springtails to eat on them, ive never noticed it, seen it, itd be kinda impossible to get rid of them at this point, they’re on the roaches themselves cleaning them,…
Id take it as a good thing, in my bin i have spring tails, isopods (i found outside, and let be in a separate container for a month so any with issues would die off) pincher bugs, a couple “dermisted?” Beetles , a millipede (toxic to beardies , dont feed) and a super worm or two (to till the dirt)
As u can see i got quite a few bugs in mine,
My container does NOT stink whatsoever, it literally just smells like the dirt i put in it (ive never cleaned it, as the bugs do it for me :)

Attachments

• E40E1D98-0770-4B02-A28A-D3F46C9C246D.jpeg
    E40E1D98-0770-4B02-A28A-D3F46C9C246D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 3B637A5A-C747-4215-8777-097D1ECBDB80.jpeg
    3B637A5A-C747-4215-8777-097D1ECBDB80.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 6602937F-2BBA-4D15-92DE-2A9C5C59F9C6.jpeg
    6602937F-2BBA-4D15-92DE-2A9C5C59F9C6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

Impawsible_Squad

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for your input! I really hope they aren't a problem because they are everywhere. I only have dermestid beetles in my colony other than the random sliver insects. Hoping to add superworms soon but everywhere that I usually order from has them out of stock.