• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tile Substrate

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've been thinking of changing my beardie's substrate from sand to tile. Can anyone tell me what they used?

thanks!

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah, this is what I have been wondering as well. When you lay down the tile do you put anything between it like when you do this on a floor (but instead of mortar I would think sand or something?)

If not I would imagine their claws could get caught? Also, do you rough it up a bit so it isnt so slick? I mean obviously floor tile as supposed to bath tub surround tile?

Any suggestions anyone?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, All. Yep, tile substrate is definitely a better way to go for your beardie. not only is it cleaner, it actually captures the heat better, as well as, coolness for your cool side.

You don't need to grout it. Actually, you don't want to do that.

You can lay a paper towel down and lay your floor tile on top of that. As you mentioned BeardedBob, you don't want bathroom tile.

This will make it easy to pull the tiles out and clean them regularly.

Hope this helps!

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I wanted to close the loop here because I replied to our outher thread where we got on a bit of a tangent about the same subject. As I stated there, I have started the process and just have a few minor things to figure out still.

I will open a new thread to show my progress when I get some good photos.

Here is the other thread for everyone's convenience:
Tile Flooring for Bearded Dragon