• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tile Substrate

Ace Freiss

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! I have a forty gallon tank for my bearded dragon I was hoping to have tile substrate for. However, I am having a lot of trouble finding unglazed tile that isn’t way too smooth for him to walk on. I tried Home Depot and searching online and I’m not having the best of luck. Does anyone have links of suggestions for certain shops to find more rough and unglazed 18”18” tile he wouldn’t be slipping and sliding on?

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Go to your local home improvement store and ask them where to find tile in the specific size you want. Tile is the best flooring, so that's good. It might help to get 2 pieces of tile to make the size tile you want. I got 2 pieces of tile for my tank, because they didn't have the right size, I realized later that it was better to have 2 pieces rather than 1 so it wasn't as heavy and the fact it was easier to clean. I went to Home Depot to get my tile, and the have a really great selection, so if you have one near you, I'd go there.

Pigmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Not trying to take ur thread but thought this was a good place to get more info on tile. R u cementing and grouting ur tiles or just laying them in? If u grout it’s important to seal it. If u lay it in and he poops on a crack u then have to lift the tile. I like tile but was wondering about these peel and stick tiles r they safe? Is there any advantage to the thin stickies over real tile?

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Not trying to take ur thread but thought this was a good place to get more info on tile. R u cementing and grouting ur tiles or just laying them in? If u grout it’s important to seal it. If u lay it in and he poops on a crack u then have to lift the tile. I like tile but was wondering about these peel and stick tiles r they safe? Is there any advantage to the thin stickies over real tile?
I did not grout my tile, because grout dust is very toxic. Peel and stick tiles have adhesive on them which is also toxic, so don't use that. The way I did it seems to work well, so I'd stick with what works. And yes, poo and other stuff could get in the cracks and you'd have to clean under there, but if you're cleaning like you should, you'd lift those up anyway.