• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thrive 40 Gallon

HarleyQuinns_Dad

Hatchling Dragon
Hi Everyone! I am posting this for constructive help. I just got my new baby yesterday and want to make sure I am doing everything correct. Please tell me what you see I could change or add?

20200512_112118.jpg

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just from looking at it, it looks good but since your dragon is such a small dragon I would add some smaller hides and a couple of smaller fake plants for he/she to hide in.

HarleyQuinns_Dad

Hatchling Dragon
Congrats!
I'd recommend a digital probe thermometer to get accurate surface temperatures.

Is that a Lego minifig in there? Lol

It's a Jared Leto Joker figure. LOL

I have one. I ran the wire under the rock wall on the left and its near the back where she tends to bask most. Should I move it somewhere else?

Also since this picture I removed the coil UVB, i read its bad for their eyes. Move the tube uvb over so its a better gradient. Attached a picture. Thanks for the tips! Im still learning, but trying to do this the right way so she thrives. Im far too attached already!

Attachments

• 20200516_08193.jpg
    20200516_08193.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 16

Spyro2020

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have read that it is advised to have the lights above the dragon as opposed to mounted on the wall just because the light could be irritating to their eyes from the side. I do not own a dragon yet so I am only speaking based on info I have read. It looks like a great set up though, and great looking little dragon. I am curious as to what you used to mount the UVB light to the side though? I am trying to get ideas for my future setup.

HarleyQuinns_Dad

Hatchling Dragon
I have read that it is advised to have the lights above the dragon as opposed to mounted on the wall just because the light could be irritating to their eyes from the side. I do not own a dragon yet so I am only speaking based on info I have read. It looks like a great set up though, and great looking little dragon. I am curious as to what you used to mount the UVB light to the side though? I am trying to get ideas for my future setup.

Thanks! I have since moved the uvb light to mount under the screen hood.

I just used 2 of the 11lb velcro command strips, it seems to be holding perfect.

20200516_081931.jpg

Spyro2020

Bearded Dragon Egg
Nice! Is that a 40Gallon terrarium? And what size is the hood? I am looking at ordering a hood to fit the 40gallon but not too sure what length hood/light to go with.

N W

Juvenile Dragon
Ah, I see the wire now...I don't actually know if there's a best place for one like that since you can move the probe?
I'm still new to this too.

We have the same tank and yours looks so nice. I can't tell from the pic, does your uvb fixture have a reflector on it?

Oh and....
Hey, um...not sure if you noticed...but Joker moved.

HarleyQuinns_Dad

Hatchling Dragon
Nice! Is that a 40Gallon terrarium? And what size is the hood? I am looking at ordering a hood to fit the 40gallon but not too sure what length hood/light to go with.

This is the Thrive 40 gallon, measures 38L"x18W"x18H"

Ah, I see the wire now...I don't actually know if there's a best place for one like that since you can move the probe?
I'm still new to this too.

We have the same tank and yours looks so nice. I can't tell from the pic, does your uvb fixture have a reflector on it?

Oh and....
Hey, um...not sure if you noticed...but Joker moved.

Joker always moves lol.... Either she knocks him over running up the rock or i do when trying to feed her or pick her up lol.

Yeah the probe i try to keep close to her basking spot for a close accurate temp. the UVB tube fixture has the reflectore built in to the fixture. Its been much better, heat light and humidity wise since i moved that fixture and ditched the COIL UVB. I stand by others when they say NO to the COIL.

Reactions: N W

N W

Juvenile Dragon
This is the Thrive 40 gallon, measures 38L"x18W"x18H"

Joker always moves lol.... Either she knocks him over running up the rock or i do when trying to feed her or pick her up lol.

Yeah the probe i try to keep close to her basking spot for a close accurate temp. the UVB tube fixture has the reflectore built in to the fixture. Its been much better, heat light and humidity wise since i moved that fixture and ditched the COIL UVB. I stand by others when they say NO to the COIL.

Just FYI - and IDK how true it is for a non-aquatic tank, but I used an online gallon estimator and with the measurements of our tank it is actually considered 50.5 gallons. Yay!

Yeah, I was trying to be goofy but my smilies don't work on here so things are harder to convey. ;)

Ok, so I'm going to admit something here that I have not admitted in other forums I've joined - I still have the 26W Thrive bulb in our tank. (This is where I need the hiding my face emoji).
I've run across some info that mentions how bad the 13W ones are, (but nothing about the 26W) and how the uvb is concentrated in one spot with coils - so I have hers right over her mountain where she spends a lot of time, and that puts her roughly 6 in or less from it.
I want to get a tube, but the T5 fixtures (at least the ones with a reflector) are so expensive, and I can't find the Arcadia 12% that I want anywhere in stock (unless it's inflated). :/