• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thoughts on window sitting

Angela

Hatchling Dragon
Hello everyone!

Discovered today that little Quixote *loves* to just sit in the window, watch the world go by and bask in the sunlight.

I work from home so while I was sitting at my desk I realized he was starting to scratch at the glass of his enclosure. Thinking he just wanted to get out and wander a bit, I took him out and set him on my desk. He went directly over to the window...and stayed right there until an hour later I finally had to put him back over in his cage.

So my questions for you are this:

1) Is it okay to let him hang out outside of his cage for a length of time so long as he is supervised and in basking sunlight?
2) Do you have any thoughts on ways I could make his window seat more welcoming? I was thinking I might build him a little ledge so he can see out better as well as incorporate some kind of a hide on it, just in case he gets too hot in the sun. Also thought I might put him a little "bedding" area down for comfort. Thoughts?

Thanks much for the feedback! :)

upload_2016-3-16_16-0-32.png

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
It should be ok for him as long as when he starts to get cold just put him back in his tank [emoji5]
You could put pillows or blankets there
My fox loves to look out the window and he has pillows, stuffed animals, and blankets near it (it's next to my bed) he also has a carved so you could try that

Angela

Hatchling Dragon
Are there any specific signs I should look for for when he's getting too cold?

The whole time he sat in the window today he seemed pretty alert. I know that them becoming lethargic and flattening themselves down are some signs of being too cold. Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

Thank you so much for the feedback!

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
Just every once and awhile you could touch him and feel his temperature to make sure he's not too cold also he will get darker when he's trying to soak up sun
You could put him back for awhile to warm him back up before taking him out again

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm going to ditto all of the above :) Izzy loves sitting in the sun looking out the window as well :) just be kinda aware that if a bird flies by it may startle him and he might take off so make sure he doesn't hurt himself if he were to run off the desk or window sill..They will get dark and flatten out to maximize heat

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Me too, ditto to it all! Mine LOVE to sit in the windows or looking out the screen doors. I caught Luci the other day trying to climb the wall and I picked him up and sat him on my lap in the window for about 20min he didn't move. One of those cat window ledges would be perfect for them to sit on.

Skwish

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
mine are the same....i work from home and the viv is in my studio, about 10am once they've had a good warm up Anna starts going a bit nuts, glass surfing and generally causing havoc....i put her on the window ledge (which is quite big) and she'd happily sit there all day

Angela

Hatchling Dragon
Just a thought - would it possibly be beneficial to get one of those electric heat pads (like people use for cramps?) and set it up on his window ledge for him so he stays warm? I think I read somewhere that they cant feel heat on their undersides so would this now be helpful?

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
It could be a problem because he might get his belly burned because he can't feel it
You could set up a heat lamp that is over where he would sit, I'm not exactly sure but you might be able to use those bendy lamps with a UVB light bulb in it

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Someone here had a set up once with a basking light near the window so they can bask and look out the window. In all honesty I've let Luci sit out for a few hours with no problem. He is cold when I put him back in the tank but it doesn't seem to bother him. As long as you don't feed him right before you let him out or feed him while he is out, he should be okay. I think a heating pad would be too much but I have a heated throw blanket on my couch that Dexter likes to sit on. I turn it on to a real low setting and check her every so often to make sure she isn't too warm.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hef likes his window time
I have to be careful not to forget he's out because I have dogs and cats.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When I let Izzy run around I have a room for her that is all safe from escape safe from eating anything .... I have a rock pile set up below a lamp that has a basking bulb in it, so when she gets cold she goes and warms up then is off exploring again.. I usually find her behind my desk sound asleep.. :)

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have a heating pad that I use a lot because I have Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (a liver disease, not related to alcohol even though it says cirrhosis) and even on the lowest setting, they definitely get way too hot. I also have a heated plush blanket that I do let Bayne snuggle with occasionally but I always put a thin sheet or blanket on top of it and use the lowest setting. He's only allowed to use it when he's laying on me though and I'd never let him lay on top of it because they can't feel heat through their bellies. I think if you were able to cover him/her with the heated throw and check/touch him every once in a while, it would be alright but in my honest opinion...I think the heat light would be your best option. I have a sliding glass door in my apartment and I made Bayne a pillow to lay on by the door. He lays there for a good 45 minutes before he gets too cold and has to g back into his tank to warm up.

TampaMia

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone!

Discovered today that little Quixote *loves* to just sit in the window, watch the world go by and bask in the sunlight.

I work from home so while I was sitting at my desk I realized he was starting to scratch at the glass of his enclosure. Thinking he just wanted to get out and wander a bit, I took him out and set him on my desk. He went directly over to the window...and stayed right there until an hour later I finally had to put him back over in his cage.

1) Is it okay to let him hang out outside of his cage for a length of time so long as he is supervised and in basking sunlight?
2) Do you have any thoughts on ways I could make his window seat more welcoming? I was thinking I might build him a little ledge so he can see out better as well as incorporate some kind of a hide on it, just in case he gets too hot in the sun. Also thought I might put him a little "bedding" area down for comfort. Thoughts?

Hi Angela! I made the attached from a thin wood and dollar tree buys. Total cost of less than $10. Didn’t know I had it in me but, because my Red loves the window, I had to make it comfortable and safe for her. I let her “watch the woods” at least 4 days a week for as long as she stays warm or gets sleepy. She seems to crave it and even made friends with a couple of geckos that visit on the outside. She’s my first but sites like this one has helped me understand and care for her. I think beardies are now among my top 10 animals I adore! And I adore all animals!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 404

TheFirstKhaleesi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dracarys has his entire setup in front of the window. He has two thermometers in his tank to make sure it's not too hot/cold. When it starts to get real warm, we turn off one lamp, And shade the other side of the tank a little bit and it turns out just right. He's like a little alarm system- we know when someone comes in the gate, and usually who. He gets to see all the seasons/animals/weather, but still feels super safe. He still comes out for a bit to watch his shows and do his laps around the house, but that's how favorite spot by far. (Except the bed. Lol)

Davin6791

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone!

View attachment 14177
I was wondering the same and I came across this just an FYI for you: “UV rays do not penetrate glass, therefore your bearded dragon is not receiving actually UVB lighting but it’s ok for them to enjoy the stimulation from the outside”