• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

temperatures...

Sammy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
In Ronnies new vivarium, the coolend is 86/7f, the hot end is 98f, i dont know what it is under the light, is this a bit too hot for him?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ronnie is young, right?

Beardies under 1 year of age should have the hot side between 105 and 110F. And the cool side around 85. It looks like your hot side needs to be increased.

Sammy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ronnie is 16" long, he'd previously had several different owners, so I dont really know much about him, but ive read somewhere that he'd probably be between 12-16 months old.
He doesnt really seem to get directly under the spotlight, maybe its too hot, (60w). I think tomorrow il try a 40w.
The UVB tube is 5.0, does it need to be 10.0?
He always seems to lay at the top of his wooden ramp, with his mouth open, is this normal?
His heat mat was taped to the floor, under the wooden ramp and spotlight, beneath the sand, by the man in the pet shop.
Will this 3ft vivarium be ok for him, or will he eventually need a bigger one.
Im currently looking for tiles for the flooring, I really dont like what ive read about sand.
And ... is it true that phoenix worms are much better for him than meel worms?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would place your digital probe thermometer under his basking spot and see what the temp is.

5.0 doesn't put out as much UV as 10.0. I recommend the ReptiSun 10.0. It is the best on the market. Here's a link to it:
ReptiSun 10.0 tube

He is regulating his body temp when he gapes. It is a normal thing for them to do.

I would remove the heat mat. If you need it for temperature, try taping it to the side of the viv. Beardies cannot detect heat from their bellies and have been known to burn themselves with heat mats. I seriously doubt you need it this time of year. Heat emitters are better. I've used it in the winter time. Here's what I'm talking about:
Heat Emitter

Do you know how many gallons your viv is? 3 feet sounds fine, but my brain processes gallons rather than feet. ;)

I liked when I moved from sand to tile. It was so much neater and Bernie was happy.

Mealworms are a big no no with beardies. Their outer shell is difficult to break down and digest. Phoenix worms are really good. They have calcium in them, which is very good for your bearded dragon.

Sammy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Today ive been taking temperatures in Ronnies vivarium:
Under the (60w) spot light 123.0 f
On the heat mat (on the floor) 125.2 f
.... gosh, now im really worried that im overheating him.
Ive been to local pet shop and ordered a Reptisun 10.0 flourescent tube.
Ive asked at pet shop and hardware shop, but cant seem to get a 40w spotlight bayonet bub.
.... blimey, il have to keep looking, for Ronnies sake.

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
At that temp I wouldn't worry about over heating him, but dehydrating him.

What did you mean by heat mat? Could you post a pic of the enclosure?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can use normal household bulbs for the basking spot. It's all about temps. It doesn't seem like you need the heat mat. I would turn it off and see what your temps are without it.

Sammy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think ive worked it out ...
(day-time) with the lights on and heat mat off,
hot side = 94 f, cold side - 85.8 f.
(night-time) with the heat mat on and lights off,
hot side = 80 f, cold side = 76.1.

do these temperature readings seem ok to you?

also, off e-bay ive ordered him some butterworms (theyre loaded with calcium) and crickets. :p ;)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Night temps can drop to 65F on both sides of the viv (hot and cold). So, I still don't think you need the heat mat.

The hot side is OK. It will depend on your dragon. They tend to vary and you are wihin range for the age of your dragon. I don't like to drop below 95F on the hot side.

The cool side needs to be increased. Try and get up to 85F.

A pic of your setup would be an added bonus. Can you post a pic?

Sammy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I dont know how to increase temperature, only thing i can think of is to change spotlight from 60w to 80w, would this be ok?
I've just took the sand out and fitted a piece of carpet, until i can get hold of some tiles or repti-carpet.
He's still eating his veg ...
He hasn't had any live feed for a week, waiting for it to arrive through post (butterworms & crickets).
His poop is black and a little runny, will keep an eye on this, and maybe take him vet if it hasn't cleared up by next week.
Il take some photos and post them for you to see.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you can raise the basking site up to get a higher basking temperature. your cool side temps are fine.
butterworms are a treat feeder as they are very fatty. crix are a great staple

Sammy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Are phoenix worms ok as a staple diet with crickets, im having a bit of trouble finding them though, lol.
And what about wax worms ... any good?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, phoenix worms have a lot of calcium in them, which beardies need a lot of...

Try some online vendors. Mulberry Farms comes to mind, but there are others.

Sammy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Im so proud of my little fella, he ate 5 butterworms today, than a few hours later he ate 15 crickets, plus his greens. ;D

Temperature Readings -

The sand is replaced with a carpet.

lights on, heat mat off ... hotside 96.9 f, coldsice 79.1 f (during the day)

(dont know what night temperatures are yet)

directly under the spotlight 122.1 f

do these temperatures sound ok?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, they are fine. I personally like to have my cool side in the 85F range.

You can see what the night temps are if you check the thermometers as soon as the lights come on in the morning. It doesn't warm up that quickly.