• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tale rot?

Gabbie

Bearded Dragon Egg
6FB4A94E-730C-441D-83AC-6E30583806FD.jpeg

I’m not sure if I’m just overthinking this, but this is my first beardie. I was wondering if this looked like the start of tale rot or not. Please let me know ASAP

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
looks more like shed than tail rot! if it doesn’t go away or seems to get worse, make another post and someone can help further. try giving warm baths to help the shed come off. good luck :)

Gabbie

Bearded Dragon Egg
looks more like shed than tail rot! if it doesn’t go away or seems to get worse, make another post and someone can help further. try giving warm baths to help the shed come off. good luck :)
Thank you!! I will say that today i noticed it spread a little more. Like I said this is my first beardie and I wanna take really good care of it. Hopefully it’s nothing bad though

Attachments

• 30282C8F-3BA6-4A11-A4A8-9115F5E16283.jpeg
    30282C8F-3BA6-4A11-A4A8-9115F5E16283.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 55

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
that picture looks a little more serious. you can soak his tail in a betadine/water solution. 3 parts water 1 part betadine. it should be tea color. soak only your dragons tail, no his whole body about an inch above where the discoloring starts. soak for 5 minutes and GENTLY dry your dry your dragons tail after. its already very fragile. you can do this up to three times a day for up to a week. after apply neosporin but not the kind that provides pain relief.

your best bet is to take him to a vet, but if that’s not possible follow what i wrote above asap. it’s also important to figure out why he got tail rot if that’s what it is. whether from trauma to the tail, insufficient calcium, or improper UVB lighting. figuring this out will not only help it heal but also prevent it from happening again. i hope this helped. keep us updated!

Gabbie

Bearded Dragon Egg
that picture looks a little more serious. you can soak his tail in a betadine/water solution. 3 parts water 1 part betadine. it should be tea color. soak only your dragons tail, no his whole body about an inch above where the discoloring starts. soak for 5 minutes and GENTLY dry your dry your dragons tail after. its already very fragile. you can do this up to three times a day for up to a week. after apply neosporin but not the kind that provides pain relief.

your best bet is to take him to a vet, but if that’s not possible follow what i wrote above asap. it’s also important to figure out why he got tail rot if that’s what it is. whether from trauma to the tail, insufficient calcium, or improper UVB lighting. figuring this out will not only help it heal but also prevent it from happening again. i hope this helped. keep us updated!
Thank you, I will definitely get some betadine ASAP. And I believe it might be from insufficient calcium. Because when I first got him I was told he’s mostly supposed to eat insects and I got small mealworms not knowing they were bad for him. But then I went to my local pet store asked some questions got calcium powder and now I know how I’m suppose to feed him. Also I’ve heard it could be because of the humidity and I’ve been trying to figure out how to manage that because some nights the humidity gets to 80%

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
pet stores can often give out incorrect info. crickets and dubia roaches are good staple insects. the age of your dragon will tell you how often insects should be dusted with calcium. there's also a multivitamin powder that is good too! for multivitamins you want one with beta carotene rather than vitamin a. what calcium powder are you using currently?

if you have a water dish in there, take it out when the humidity rises. you can also purchase a dehumidifier to get it down

Gabbie

Bearded Dragon Egg
pet stores can often give out incorrect info. crickets and dubia roaches are good staple insects. the age of your dragon will tell you how often insects should be dusted with calcium. there's also a multivitamin powder that is good too! for multivitamins you want one with beta carotene rather than vitamin a. what calcium powder are you using currently?

if you have a water dish in there, take it out when the humidity rises. you can also purchase a dehumidifier to get it down
Yeah I take out the water dish at night that I heard that getting the air to move around helps so I keep a fan on near by and that usually helps. But here’s the powder my pet store gave me:

Attachments

• 952A947D-77C1-4075-93C8-79626C551778.jpeg
    952A947D-77C1-4075-93C8-79626C551778.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55

Gabbie

Bearded Dragon Egg

Also does it matter what kind of betadine I get?

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
also i do recommend purchasing a dehumidifier as a high humidity can lead to respiratory issues for your dragon. i dont have one to recommend but if you make a new post here i’m sure someone will have a good recommendation !

Gabbie

Bearded Dragon Egg

Gabbie

Bearded Dragon Egg

So turns out his tail was just about to shed. And the reason his tail looked so dark was because the lighting in the room.

Attachments

• EE252D2E-B480-4B30-901A-326EABFEB9FE.jpeg
    EE252D2E-B480-4B30-901A-326EABFEB9FE.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 36

Rich Garbarino

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Their tails will also get dark if they are stressed. Our male does not like to be held, you go near his enclosure and his neck and tail get very dark. He even hisses at me and flattens out in defense.