• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Taking my beardie to the vet, help pls

Knight98

Juvenile Dragon
Hi guys so I’m taking my beardie Ace to the vet for his first health check and claws clipping. Just wondered if you guys had any techniques to keep him calm while we are travelling to the vet as it is a good 30 min drive? also while he’s being seen by the veterinarian?
Any comments very appreciated thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1. Make sure your carrier is opaque, it reduces stress. If you are using something transparent, cover it with a towel.
2. Don't feed him before the vet so he doesn't poop in the car or at the office.
3. Don't take your beardie out until the vet says it's time, it can be dangerous and stressful for him to be out in the car.
4. Make sure he is used to the carrier before he has to spend time in it. Put him in for a few minutes each day, gradually increasing the time and rewarding him with treats when you take him out.
5. Common sense, but NEVER leave him in your car unattended, regardless of the weather. He can quickly overheat and die.
Typically, animals bounce back quickly after a stressful grooming or transport. When you take him home, give him some treats and some alone time in his tank, because he may want to hide.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi guys so I’m taking my beardie Ace to the vet for his first health check and claws clipping. Just wondered if you guys had any techniques to keep him calm while we are travelling to the vet as it is a good 30 min drive? also while he’s being seen by the veterinarian?
Any comments very appreciated thanks
Most dragons love to ride in the car --- I have a small pet carrier that opens at the top and he usually sits on the top of the carrier looking out the window on my daughters lap --- make sure you take lots of things to clean up the poop w/ -- I dont usually take him to the vet in the winter -- mainly spring and fall appts --- he will be fine ---

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It depends on the beardie. I have one beardie who isn't a fan of them and likes to cuddle me while she's in it. I have another beardie who loves riding on the dashboard and I even have a hammock that I suction onto the dashboard and window. He never wants to leave it. Just read your beardie and see what he likes. My carrier for them is transparent not opaque because they may think you are sending them to bed during the day and they don't like that and it could stress it out. I also use a clean sock filled with rice as their heat source and they love cuddling it. For the vet, if your beardie is properly socialize they will not be stressed out with the vet. I have a beardie with separation anxiety and she still does great when she's taken by the vet. Hope I was able to help and good luck at the vet.