• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Taking my beardie outside???

Gypsy.soul.82

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello there once again, I would LOVE to bring my baby outside. Would he be ok to roam on the ground if I had an enclosure ( fence of sort ) that would ensure he couldnt get away? I obviously would stay right with him. But would like for him to be able to roam freely in the "real" world. First time beardie mom here, trying to learn as much as possible to ensure he has the best life possible. Thank you for any tips/advice

Gypsy.soul.82

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello there once again, I would LOVE to bring my baby outside. Would he be ok to roam on the ground if I had an enclosure ( fence of sort ) that would ensure he couldnt get away? I obviously would stay right with him. But would like for him to be able to roam freely in the "real" world. First time beardie mom here, trying to learn as much as possible to ensure he has the best life possible. Thank you for any tips/advice also he is approximately 12-14 months old.

GODZILLAthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sounds fine. Just make sure he can’t run away and it warm outside. Also dont let him eat any bugs they could have desease or been sprayed by pesticides. What is the temperature that day?

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I’d advise to get a leash of some sorts. Although it seems extra (trust me I know), but they can get easily spooked and are very fast runners. I once had my younger beardie outside with no leash because I thought he was used to the outside and next thing I know I’m undrill deck boards to get him out from under there. Or if you do get an enclosure do put in a hide of some sort so if they do get spooked they can have someplace to hide. Hope this was helpful

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
There are loads of inexpensive, well-ventilated playpens available online. Some come without bottoms so the animal can enjoy grass, and others have bottoms.

You can also build your own with wire cube storage shelves, commonly used for C&C guinea pig cages. They are easy to assemble and take apart, and you can build custom shapes and even multiple levels to fit your yard.

If you want to get a harness, follow all the safety tips and make sure it fits well. I recommend getting one that can be adjusted to the beardie's size so your dragon does not grow out of it too quickly.

Gypsy.soul.82

Bearded Dragon Egg
There are loads of inexpensive, well-ventilated playpens available online. Some come without bottoms so the animal can enjoy grass, and others have bottoms.

You can also build your own with wire cube storage shelves, commonly used for C&C guinea pig cages. They are easy to assemble and take apart, and you can build custom shapes and even multiple levels to fit your yard.

If you want to get a harness, follow all the safety tips and make sure it fits well. I recommend getting one that can be adjusted to the beardie's size so your dragon does not grow out of it too quickly.
I have a harness for him but were just getting to know each other and he doesnt let me hold him long and quite frankly I'm scared to try and put it on him just yet lol

tortadon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello there once again, I would LOVE to bring my baby outside. Would he be ok to roam on the ground if I had an enclosure ( fence of sort ) that would ensure he couldnt get away? I obviously would stay right with him. But would like for him to be able to roam freely in the "real" world. First time beardie mom here, trying to learn as much as possible to ensure he has the best life possible. Thank you for any tips/advice
Always remember the rule. The rule is big eats little. Birds eat lizards. Crows eat everything from pigeons and smaller. This makes your lizard food and if you place it in an outside area without human protection that can happen fast. If you place it outside without an over cover A bird of size will take its shot at lunch.
If he is to small to wear a harness than sit right next to him.
I once had A bird of prey snag our terrapin and fly away just that fast.
So outside and they are fun means A harness with A cord at least 4 feet long, since beardies run in burst of 4 or 5 feet than stop and look around, the cord gives the time to let him roam free while your really in grabbing distance. works the same when they head up A tree just grab the cord.