• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

t8 for 9-10 inches away?

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Is it ok to use a t8 Acadia 12% if my beard is only 9-10 inches away from the tube? I had originally been using a zoo med 10.0 HO t5, but that seems like a lot for only 9-10 inches away. I am at the 6 month range and I believe its time to replace. I'm nervous that his eyesight will be affected if I use a t5.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is it ok to use a t8 Acadia 12% if my beard is only 9-10 inches away from the tube? I had originally been using a zoo med 10.0 HO t5, but that seems like a lot for only 9-10 inches away. I am at the 6 month range and I believe its time to replace. I'm nervous that his eyesight will be affected if I use a t5.
All T 8's need to go inside the tank --- it is not strong enough to go thru screen and distance needs to be 6-8 inches directly above him - and yes it needs to be replaced in approx 6 months --- I would look at upgrading to a T 5 but your going to need a different fixture and distance would be different depending on the screen --- T 5's are strong enough to go thru screen as long as it is a WIDE HOLE type --- all fine mesh UVB's need to go inside -- especially T 8's --- the expiration on a T 5 is 1 year -- these UVB's are not harmful on eyes and are considered very safe -- its the rays you need to worry about w/ distance being too strong --

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
All T 8's need to go inside the tank --- it is not strong enough to go thru screen and distance needs to be 6-8 inches directly above him - and yes it needs to be replaced in approx 6 months --- I would look at upgrading to a T 5 but your going to need a different fixture and distance would be different depending on the screen --- T 5's are strong enough to go thru screen as long as it is a WIDE HOLE type --- all fine mesh UVB's need to go inside -- especially T 8's --- the expiration on a T 5 is 1 year -- these UVB's are not harmful on eyes and are considered very safe -- its the rays you need to worry about w/ distance being too strong --
Sorry I think my post was confusing! I meant right now, he has a t5 Inside his tank about 9-10 inches away so that's why I was worried. I was wondering if it's ok to switch to the same tube but in a t8 so its not so strong

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry I think my post was confusing! I meant right now, he has a t5 Inside his tank about 9-10 inches away so that's why I was worried. I was wondering if it's ok to switch to the same tube but in a t8 so its not so strong
You would need to buy a new fixture-- your screen on the tank is it a fine mesh like a screen door or is it a wide hole type- how tall is your tank?

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
You would need to buy a new fixture-- your screen on the tank is it a fine mesh like a screen door or is it a wide hole type- how tall is your tank?
My tank is a 40 gallon and the mesh looks like this. Is there a way to keep the fixture in the tank but lowers the uvb output so it’s less intense for such a close distance from him?

Attachments

• E77DB803-7695-4C22-808E-5AC546680DE1.jpeg
    E77DB803-7695-4C22-808E-5AC546680DE1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My tank is a 40 gallon and the mesh looks like this. Is there a way to keep the fixture in the tank but lowers the uvb output so it’s less intense for such a close distance from him?
Your T 5 can sit on top of screen w/ a distance of 8-10 inches basking decor directly underneath- make sure you change the bulb out in approx one year from install - I recommend one month prior to