• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swollen Finger and Toe

Bearded Bernard

Bearded Dragon Egg
I noticed the other day that my sons 9 month beardy had a couple of swollen digits. Images are attached. One is the finger tip and “thumb”. And the other is his back right foot. I noticed that he doesn’t seem to use the “toe” to climb much, that I can tell.

He leapt from my daughters hands the other day, about a 4 foot drop onto carpet. The swelling on his foot came up after that. Not sure about his hand.

Does that look more like a broken finger or possibly MBD or gout?

We use the reptisun 10.0 uvb in a 30 gallon tank. It sits on top of the screen about 8” or so above viv floor. He eats reptiworms (20-25) daily with red bell peppers and kale frequently. We don’t dust every meal because I read that it’s not necessary with reptiworms being high in calcium already.Also, he poops a lot and daily.

https://m.imgur.com/vMBsOCA

https://m.imgur.com/NcMdlUl

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would have a vet look at it, not really sure what is going on there.

Just a few things, what kind of UVB are you using that you have it on top of the screen? The screen blocks out 35% of the UVB so you would need to use a HO UVB bulb or a T5 bulb. T8 bulbs should be mounted inside of the tank. Also, kale is a calcium binder. It's okay to feed occasionally as long as you are mixing it with other healthy greens like collards, mustard greens, turnip greens or dandelion greens.

Bearded Bernard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Didn’t know that about Kale. I feel dumb now lol. Will make sure to buy the other greens from now on.

The light is a reptisun 10.0 uvb but it is above the screen. Will look into a way to place it in the tank for better light.

The hand where it’s a “thumb” and “finger tip” is dull like he’s about to shed so it may just be that. Planning on letting him soak every day with some gentle brushing so see if it’s just stuck shed.

The “toe” however almost makes me think it’s broken. He doesn’t have a mobility issue (far from it) but it’s swollen in a way that if it were a human I’d say they broke the toe at the foot.

Will look for a vet in our area that works with dragons. The one we used when we got the fella is 1.5 hours away.

Tanner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Looks a little small to be nine months. Maybe it's just the picture.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bearded Bernard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Looks a little small to be nine months. Maybe it's just the picture.

Here is a photo of him on an 8.5 x 11” sheet of printer paper for reference.

qWWXGvW.jpg

I assume he is 9 months old. We got him last Christmas and he was tiny then so I assume that he’s around 9 months old.

Tanner

Bearded Dragon Egg
He might be a little order? I guess every bearded dragon is different. This is my beardy, and she is a little over 4 months old.
22318520a7052dd1bb0411e4dc26e0a0.jpg

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He is a little small for 9 months but not much, there will be some genetic varience just like you get tall and short people. Going by the paper he is maybe 13 or 14 inches, which isnt bad really. That toe needs an xray as soon as you can, especially if you think it might be broken.It could easily be something else though, you need to find out. It can be hard finding a reptile vet, I know I struggled here where I live. In the end I found one that visits a local vets once a week, but they dont exactly advertise it, it was pure chance I found them. It was that or travel 20 miles. I often thought there should be an international register of reptile vets, that would make finding them easier. Found this, but dont know if its any good, maybe you guys at here at the forum can try and see:
https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

at least the vets on there should be accredited proffesionals

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Didn’t know that about Kale. I feel dumb now lol. Will make sure to buy the other greens from now on.

The light is a reptisun 10.0 uvb but it is above the screen. Will look into a way to place it in the tank for better light.

The hand where it’s a “thumb” and “finger tip” is dull like he’s about to shed so it may just be that. Planning on letting him soak every day with some gentle brushing so see if it’s just stuck shed.

The “toe” however almost makes me think it’s broken. He doesn’t have a mobility issue (far from it) but it’s swollen in a way that if it were a human I’d say they broke the toe at the foot.

Will look for a vet in our area that works with dragons. The one we used when we got the fella is 1.5 hours away.

Don't feel dumb. We all fed Kale exclusively at one point. Spinach and kale were the two that were always a big no. Spinach is still a no but kale is found to be okay if mixed with other things.

The 10.0 UVB bulb describes all bulbs. There are coil bulbs, compact fluorescent, T8 and T5 tube bulbs that are all 10.0 bulbs. What you want to use is a 10.0 tube bulb. The T8 is a bigger bulb and the T5 is a smaller high output bulb. The T5 10.0 is the strongest of the different types of bulbs .