• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
So i Have a small beardie, currently i have rough sand as substrate since it came with the tank.
What would you reccomend?
I'd like to put fake Grass in but in not sure if it wouldnt cause problems also, So tell me your opinion on fake Grass, if Its no good i Will get tiles or lino.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So i Have a small beardie, currently i have rough sand as substrate since it came with the tank.
I'd like to put fake Grass in but in not sure if it wouldnt cause problems also, So tell me your opinion on fake Grass, if Its no good i Will get tiles or lino.
Hi; Definitely Remove the Sand ASAP. It iomlavts them and destroys their tummy. U can use paper towels or white terry cloth towels or smooth shelf liner from target called ZipIt (beige color) not black obviously or u can get it at wallmart.

Lily.arthur.help.needed

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hiya,
I have a one year old beardie and I recommend reptile carpet which you can get pretty cheap off amazon. This is much better than sand as it can not be accidentally eaten by your beardie. I would recommend buying two so you can replace it for when they need to be washed. These are great and you can cut them to the size of the tank. I would recommend washing about once a fortnight unless your beardie poops on it, then you should wash right after. For some brands you may just be able to put it in the washing machine!
The second option is tiles which are great for keeping your bearded dragons claws trim but I realise that you may not be able to get this. My beardies tank has half carpet half tile. Tiles are very easy to clean too.
Lily

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
We use tile. We grouted it in as well. It’s amazing. The clean up is so easy. Bugs do not get lost under it. And it keeps her nails trimmed as well.

SpikedLove

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have found the fake grass/reptile carpet is the easiest. Dont order on Amazon. Go to hardware store, they will likely have a couple of options.
One will be like the "plastic " fake grass I use this it looks pretty good, and cleans easily.
The Other will be a more material type, this is like the reptile carpet.

I just got a pice 4x6 feet $20 Then cut your self a few.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have found the fake grass/reptile carpet is the easiest. Dont order on Amazon. Go to hardware store, they will likely have a couple of options.
One will be like the "plastic " fake grass I use this it looks pretty good, and cleans easily.
The Other will be a more material type, this is like the reptile carpet.

I just got a pice 4x6 feet $20 Then cut your self a few.
How in th world wud u sanitizr carpet oafte rrhey poop? The reminants get buried in the carpet & bacteria forms overbite. Beardie will
Get Coccidia in a germy, bacteria filled enclosure.

SpikedLove

Bearded Dragon Egg
How in th world wud u sanitizr carpet oafte rrhey poop? The reminants get buried in the carpet & bacteria forms overbite. Beardie will

So I don't recommend the reptile carpet for that reason. The fake grass type is easier to clean.
The simple answer is you have to take it out and wash it regularly. Hot water and a mild soap, or I believe vinegar, but hard to get the smell out.

What are other options ? I am listening. Eventually I will go bioactive, but for now.
Right now I am using the fake grass. My enclosure is 8 ft x 2.5 ft (2.2 meters x .5 meters ?)
I put an extra piece where he tends to poop so I can easily remove and wash.

It does work, but the maintenance is a little higher.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Look for some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store-- cut to tank size insects cannot get underneath- clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 solution