• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrat: sandmat, coconut carpet, sand, vita-sand, etc

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Hey everyone,
I'm only looking for a bearded dragon and in process of setting up his/her new enclosure and have read a ton of info but didn't find a final solution for me. The question is still unanswered:
What to use as a substrat for beardy?
I'll post below only cons that matter to me and would like to ask your help to choose something.

1. Sand. I know about exoterra and other sands for terrariums but they're a lot of warnings that it can be eaten and cause digest problems.

2. Vita-Sand/Calci-Sand. Can be overdusty and can cause problems for lungs and nostrils.

3. Sandmat (Exoterra). A small bunch of feedbacks in Amazon that these mats can be dangerous when heated by bulb, due to how sand is glued to a mat.

4. Coconut mats. Nothing specific, just an info that coconut itself is a not a good option for terrariums where humidity has to be low.

5. Tiles. Actually this is a new "option" for me and still looking into...

Would be so appreciated for any advices and shared experience!
Just trying to set up a perfect and safe enclosure.
Thank you!

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hey everyone,
I'm only looking for a bearded dragon and in process of setting up his/her new enclosure and have read a ton of info but didn't find a final solution for me. The question is still unanswered:
What to use as a substrat for beardy?
I'll post below only cons that matter to me and would like to ask your help to choose something.

1. Sand. I know about exoterra and other sands for terrariums but they're a lot of warnings that it can be eaten and cause digest problems.

2. Vita-Sand/Calci-Sand. Can be overdusty and can cause problems for lungs and nostrils.

3. Sandmat (Exoterra). A small bunch of feedbacks in Amazon that these mats can be dangerous when heated by bulb, due to how sand is glued to a mat.

4. Coconut mats. Nothing specific, just an info that coconut itself is a not a good option for terrariums where humidity has to be low.

5. Tiles. Actually this is a new "option" for me and still looking into...

Would be so appreciated for any advices and shared experience!
Just trying to set up a perfect and safe enclosure.
Thank you!
The best loose substrate actually isn't on this list. A mix of 50% play sand, 30% organic, unfertilized topsoil, and 20% excavator clay is a great substrate for beardies that are six months and older. It's similar to what they would have in the wild, is inexpensive and easy to clean, and looks nice. Beardies under six months do best with paper towel or tile.

Sand on its own is dusty, and some varieties will clump when wet and block a reptile's digestive tract.

Calcium sand has the same issues with dust and impaction, but with an extra danger: because it's made from calcium carbonate, beardies who consume it are at risk of overdosing on calcium (hypercalcemia), especially if they're already getting supplements. It's also not natural, and the neon colors can stain scales.

Sand mats are covered in pebbles that are barely attached (choking/impaction hazard), and all reptile carpet substrates are almost impossible to clean properly. Sand mats are also messy because the sand falls off every time you move them.

Coconut mats are also hard to wash, and claws can get caught in them. They also don't allow for the enrichment and security a beardie would get from being able to dig.

Tile is good and easy to clean, and if you take care of it you shouldn't need to replace it. Smooth tile can be too slippery for beardies.

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon

Thank you for such detailed answer!
What do you mean by "30% organic"? And are these substrats available for sale in repti-shops?
I saw only sands and I guess excavator clay, nothing more, but this is completely new area for me, so if it's possible to share links to similar products...

And also would appreciate for some photos how does this mix look like. Haven't heard anything about that at all on all forums I read.

All other stuff is coming like UV bulb Arcadia 12%, dome and heat-bulb. Tank is Exoterra 90*45*45

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Thank you for such detailed answer!
What do you mean by "30% organic"? And are these substrats available for sale in repti-shops?
I saw only sands and I guess excavator clay, nothing more, but this is completely new area for me, so if it's possible to share links to similar products...

And also would appreciate for some photos how does this mix look like. Haven't heard anything about that at all on all forums I read.

All other stuff is coming like UV bulb Arcadia 12%, dome and heat-bulb. Tank is Exoterra 90*45*45
Oops, by 30% I mean the amount of soil that goes into the sand/soil/clay mix. I should have worded that better, my bad.

You can get the organic soil and sand online or at most hardware/garden stores, and excavator clay is available in pet stores or an Amazon. You can also use Reptisoil for the soil part of the mix, it's easier to find than good soil.

Here's what it looks like, the color varies by enclosure.
2021_02_06_0sd_Kleki.png

Here's a good reference for substrate options:

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Tile is good but you want a slated ceramic tile so there is no slippage-- also a textured NON adhesive shelf line is used --- insects cannot get underneath and its easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50-- the tiles I use on both my tanks and they are not grouted or sealed - they are cut to the size of the tank and layed in loosely so they can be pulled for deep cleaning and reg cleaning -- I use a blue thick paper towel under the tile so it catches the watery urate - pull tile and clean tile replace the paper towel --- reptile carpet is a pain you haft to wash it all the time and it gets expensive -- I tiled my two tanks 4x2x2 for $13 each tank

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Whilst we’re on the topic of substrates I have a quick Q myself - I hope I’m not out of place asking on this threat.
I have travertine tile in my viv but I have noticed my almost 7 month old beardies nails are growing and I’m concerned there’s nothing in the viv that is really keeping them filed down. Is there something easy I can include? A sheet of sand paper that she may walk on? A rougher basking log? Or would it make more sense to just cut/file her nails. I’m quite worried about doing that. Any advice would be good! They’re not super long or anything but when she walks on my son he says it’s scratching him a bit and I’d rather get on top of it sooner rather than later!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Whilst we’re on the topic of substrates I have a quick Q myself - I hope I’m not out of place asking on this threat.
I have travertine tile in my viv but I have noticed my almost 7 month old beardies nails are growing and I’m concerned there’s nothing in the viv that is really keeping them filed down. Is there something easy I can include? A sheet of sand paper that she may walk on? A rougher basking log? Or would it make more sense to just cut/file her nails. I’m quite worried about doing that. Any advice would be good! They’re not super long or anything but when she walks on my son he says it’s scratching him a bit and I’d rather get on top of it sooner rather than later!
It doesnt look like it has much coarseness to the surface - my tile has some coarseness but not so much it would hurt them being on it here is what is in my tank --- its a slated surface and keeps the nails down -- especially when they are in the hides scratching ---- I have two hides one has a fleece blanket in it and the other does not - Blaze does some scratching in the one that has no blanket in it and so when hes doing that it dulls the nails out --- same w/ Hiccup same thing --- the vet asked me when I had them both in if I was cutting or filing the nails and I said no its the tile in the tank thats keeping them down --- you can opt for cutting them youtube has a video on how to do it --- my dragons nails will still scratch thats a given but they are trimmed down too --

Attachments

• floor tile.jpg
    floor tile.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 6

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It doesnt look like it has much coarseness to the surface - my tile has some coarseness but not so much it would hurt them being on it here is what is in my tank --- its a slated surface and keeps the nails down -- especially when they are in the hides scratching ---- I have two hides one has a fleece blanket in it and the other does not - Blaze does some scratching in the one that has no blanket in it and so when hes doing that it dulls the nails out --- same w/ Hiccup same thing --- the vet asked me when I had them both in if I was cutting or filing the nails and I said no its the tile in the tank thats keeping them down --- you can opt for cutting them youtube has a video on how to do it --- my dragons nails will still scratch thats a given but they are trimmed down too --
Thanks! I might look for a slightly rougher or more course tile to place in one location, but my beardie doesn’t really scratch or try to dig. Maybe like a minute or less when settling down to sleep (she always falls asleep flat on the tile - although sometimes I lift her onto the hammock with fleece because it makes me sad seeing her sleeping on tile, lol).

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks! I might look for a slightly rougher or more course tile to place in one location, but my beardie doesn’t really scratch or try to dig. Maybe like a minute or less when settling down to sleep (she always falls asleep flat on the tile - although sometimes I lift her onto the hammock with fleece because it makes me sad seeing her sleeping on tile, lol).
Mine do the same but it's more than a minute-- they too sleep on the bare tile as they do have an option of sleeping on a nice fleece blanket

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ive gone through pretty much all the “substrates” u listed , sand is fine as long as its rated (play) sand (rinse it throughly and dry it so the dust will be no more) , im gonna give a hard no on the calci sand ive only heard of negatives about it (if ur beardie is calcium deficient hes gonna eat a bunch and get compacted) the coco fibers are really nice as a soft bed , I wouldn’t do it as a floor it’ll be soiled and ruined in 2 weeks its not hardy enough, tile is okay,... if ur beardie jumps alot in their tank it can be very bad on their joints(the reason i stopped useing tile, otherwise tile is a great option) , ive saved the sand/rock matt for last cause they are my personal favorite (but not as a flooring) it cant get wet so if it got poo on it as a flooring good luck cleaning it without ruining it, the rocks do fall off (so make shure hes not eaten them) (the glue they use is fine i kept it in the tank a week with the heat lamp directly over it before i got my baby and it never emitted fumes or a smell) i use it as a background on the wall my beardy climbs to let me know she wants out, they are really good for keeping ur beardies nails down, you want cleaning and maintenance to be super easy , I ended going with a mixture substrate (I ended up with a dry bioactive basically) my ratios arnt Exact but they were close to this i have about an inchs worth of clay balls on the bottom for a drainage layer (i wet the tank once a month to keep the cleaner crew bugs alive) after the balls i did a mixture of about 30% coco fiber 20% sand 20% organic no chemicals potting soil (minus the perlite and little green balls) the last 30% is clay , i mixed it all together with just a little water to really blend them together, i then put repti bark over all of it to add kinda a top layer (these can cause compation be aware) my dragon has never eaten her substrate and i bowl/hand feed so no accidental ingestion, its easy to keep clean, just scoop out whats dirty , kinda like a kitty litter, do what’s easiest for you , do stay away from the calci sand thoug