• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stress or something else?

Ridith

Hatchling Dragon
Hello again
Just lately I'm worried about my little boy, for last 6 days he got no appetite ( except for yesterday - he was eating like crazy) . I've changed recently his decorations and lighting ( changed MVB on normal UVB and heat lamp). His quite active so far , yet his lack of appetite stressing me out. Today he just managed to eat one hopper... Done same for my abit older female and she's completely fine- eating like there's no tomorrow .
I'm doing something wrong ?
Using :
Arcadia ProT5 12% 39w
Exo Terra sun glo 50w
Temperature :
Basking spot 40'C
Warm side 35'C
Cool side 28'C
He's 13 weeks old /32g
20201022_210641.jpg
20201022_181734.jpg

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hoppers are way too large for a beardie to handle, especially if they're only 13 weeks old! Pinkies are the biggest mouse size you should offer, and only for adults once a month. You are running a serious risk of impaction and obesity-please check to make sure he's pooping well. If you're feeding the mice live, he could also be fatally injured by them.

Ridith

Hatchling Dragon
Hoppers are way too large for a beardie to handle, especially if they're only 13 weeks old! Pinkies are the biggest mouse size you should offer, and only for adults once a month. You are running a serious risk of impaction and obesity-please check to make sure he's pooping well. If you're feeding the mice live, he could also be fatally injured by them.
Hoppers in UK are also called Locusts ( got 8-12mm size). Wouldn't feed my bearded dragon with rodents :D
He was eating mostly crickets/Locusts/doubia roaches... somehow dosent like wax and calci warms.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hoppers in UK are also called Locusts ( got 8-12mm size). Wouldn't feed my bearded dragon with rodents :D
He was eating mostly crickets/Locusts/doubia roaches... somehow dosent like wax and calci warms.
Oof, I'm not too used to locusts and their nicknames since you can't feed them in the US. Could it be something else? Make sure your multivitamin supplement contains beta carotene instead of vitamin A.
If you can't figure out what the problem is, you might want to take him in for a checkup and some tests, better safe than sorry. :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hes going thru relocation stress ------------ please do not feed insects that are too big for him or you will impact him --- BSFL or small crickets or small dubia roaches ---- nothing bigger than the size between his eyes - the UVB is too high for him it looks like - distance should be 12-15 inches w/ the basking decor directly underneath

Ridith

Hatchling Dragon
Hes going thru relocation stress ------------ please do not feed insects that are too big for him or you will impact him --- BSFL or small crickets or small dubia roaches ---- nothing bigger than the size between his eyes - the UVB is too high for him it looks like - distance should be 12-15 inches w/ the basking decor directly underneath

Uvb Its 13 inches above basking spot. Insects are no bigger than 12mm.

Ridith

Hatchling Dragon
Still get more worried, he siting on his basking spot but looks like didn't sleep well ...
20201023_164500.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The most two important things in that tank are basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and UVB - I see only stickons they are inaccurate-- your dragon will not eat w/ out proper temps

Ridith

Hatchling Dragon
Basking spot is covered with digital one ( there's some wire visible on right. Also using thermal gun. He got exactly same condition like my second bearded dragon - but she seems to be fine.

Ridith

Hatchling Dragon
I've noticed that he bulging his eyes ( looks scary ) So I'm guessing that he also is shedding, which could explain lack of appetite.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've noticed that he bulging his eyes ( looks scary ) So I'm guessing that he also is shedding, which could explain lack of appetite.
Yes he could be getting ready to shed on the eyes -- they can get lack of appetite when going in to a shed

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'd see if he sheds soon and if not maybe try lowering the UVB, maybe its just not enough for him, all beardies are different. If anything try giving him a bath he could just be deydrated as well

Cayla_hobbes

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello again
Just lately I'm worried about my little boy, for last 6 days he got no appetite ( except for yesterday - he was eating like crazy) . I've changed recently his decorations and lighting ( changed MVB on normal UVB and heat lamp). His quite active so far , yet his lack of appetite stressing me out. Today he just managed to eat one hopper... Done same for my abit older female and she's completely fine- eating like there's no tomorrow .
I'm doing something wrong ?
Using :
Arcadia ProT5 12% 39w
Exo Terra sun glo 50w
Temperature :
Basking spot 40'C
Warm side 35'C
Cool side 28'C
He's 13 weeks old /32g
View attachment 24081View attachment 24082

He NEEDS uvb or he'll get sick. Could also be starting to brummate. :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He NEEDS uvb or he'll get sick. Could also be starting to brummate. :)
What are you using now for a UVB ? Tube or coil? And how long have you had him? New things in the tank will stress them out to an extent but we must make sure the lighting in the tank is correct --- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them -? NO stick ons they are inaccurate

Ridith

Hatchling Dragon
Arcadia ProT5 12% 39w 89cm long (tube)
He is eating a little and definitely shedding, he's head is itchy- rubbing it alot on rock.
So far he is 13 weeks old / weight 32g / 24cm size

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Arcadia ProT5 12% 39w 89cm long (tube)
He is eating a little and definitely shedding, he's head is itchy- rubbing it alot on rock.
So far he is 13 weeks old / weight 32g / 24cm size
Ok good hes eating -- the basking temps ? what are they and how are you taking them ? NO stick ons they are inaccurate--- the Pro T5 where in the tank is it? Top of screen or inside the tank? If hes doing a lot of scratching take a soft baby tooth brush and brush him lightly-- spray him first --- if its dry and crackly that will help get the shed off --

Ridith

Hatchling Dragon
Using thermostat - so basking spot got 40'C all the time. T5 is inside of vivarium 13 inches above basking spot. Tho I've noticed that's he eating lots of green but live insects are not that much interesting for him.

Latest posts