• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stopped eating in new house

Liv

Bearded Dragon Egg
Our little family moved from our tiny apartment to owning a house and we were so excited that Spyro could run around all he wanted and we don't have to worry about getting fined for not reporting an exotic pet. I knew that the move would be stressful for him, but I feel bad and I want to try to make him comfortable. Before we moved, he got a new enclosure. He went from a 40 gallon old aquarium to a 120 gallon zen habitat and he was so excited. He would run around and climb up his wood and then jump on his hammock. He actually head bobbed at my boyfriend when he went to feed him so he definitely sees the new viv as his territory now. We are finally moved in completely and he has joined us at the new house, but his behavior has completely changed. He's been napping more and not moving much. He hides a lot and doesn't eat much either. I tried keeping everything the same for the most part. He still has the same lighting in the same spots along with his hide, wood, dish and hammock. I even put his desert background up on the back panel so it would seem as familiar as possible. We have him in our book room. It resembles his room at the apartment the most and we are trying to get a TV set up so he can watch his BBC documentaries when we are out. Everything was great before the move, so I'm guessing it's just relocation stress, but I'm worried about the lights not being enough now that his home is so much bigger too. Things only dropped a couple degrees. His cool side went from 82 to 79-80 and his basking side went from 102 to 98-99. The humidity still hovers between 34 and 36. It's hard keeping the house warm in general so we are looking into space heaters. He has a 10.0 uvb tube, but it's kind of short now for his new viv and his basking lamp is a 150 watt from zoomed. He also has a flunkers heat emitter. He doesn't have any loose substrate right now, we had to take it out because it got everywhere and scratched up our furniture and I know he's a little sad about that, but I still have to figure out a set up that keeps it away from his food. Right now, it's just the bamboo panel on the bottom. He's not even very interested in his worms. I got him to eat some super worms because they are a little bigger and he will chase them down if they try to get away, but I don't like having that be the only thing he eats and they are not the greatest feeder to begin with. He was happily eating Phoenix worms last saturday. I've been filling his bowl with mustard greens and even put a few banana chunks in, but the dang larvae are eating it instead. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. He went to the vet last month and everything checked out

Liv

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also, his old aquarium didn't exactly survive the move...we were thinking of moving him back until he got comfortable, but that's a no go. The bottom shattered because SOMEONE thought it would be a great idea to put our work out equipment in it and the weights smashed it.

Liv

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so the lighting is a tube what size ? Is it a T 5 or a T 8? I have the same set up zen habitat I am going to post a pic of the tank ---- this is Blazes tank as I have 2 beardies and tanks are set up the same - so the UVB is a Zoo Med 24" w/ a Arcadia bulb 14% I will be downgrading that bulb to a 12%-- you can get a Reptisun T 5 is what I recommend for that tank --- a 24" fixture --- basking temps are a gradient in my tanks w/ the log I use they go from the floor 90's to 105 on top of log - there is a CHE on the back of tank for winter 100 watt bulb -- the basking bulb is a 150 watt --- the floor is slated ceramic tile - underneath tile is a thick paper towels to catch watery urate --- you dont want your UVB the length of the tank they need to be able to get away from the UVB rays --- if you have questions please ask --- he will go thru relocation stress but he should not completely quit eating --the humidity is fine

The box says 18" 457mm 15 watts T8 reptisun. So I should upgrade to a 24"? I can't figure out how to get the uvb tube to hang on the inside. Do you have a special thingy or so you improvise with wire? Also, winter bulb? Sorry I'm asking so many questions, I adopted him a few months ago so I'm pretty new. I just want to make sure I get everything right so he can be as happy and healthy as possible. I love my baby

Matthew McCarter

Bearded Dragon Egg
You said he had a recent vet visit, did they check for worms or parasites? If he is healthy and doesnt have any worm or parasite issues then you may want to do some research on brumation, Beardies hibernate in the winter. If he is fully healthy then it sounds like it could be the signs of brumation.