• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Starting new viv for...........

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Been little bit since I've updated. So I now have all the structures with me. And have mod podge them last coat today. I have to wait for it to dry and tomorrow will than spray them with mod podge acrylic sealer to eliminate the tackyness the mod podge leaves when dry.

uploadfromtaptalk1394992130979.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394992152064.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394992175492.jpg

Still have to decide on substrate to use. But getting closer to completion

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well finally decided on substrate. And I decided to go with zoo med excavator clay. After lots of research and chatting with people and pet stores etc it seems like it's worth a shot. Gives them pretty close to natural habitat and once dry it isn't a loose substrate.

uploadfromtaptalk1395528747054.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395528765300.jpg

I am also using a hair dryer to help dry it out and raise the humidity a ton to suck out any water from mixing the clay.

Again getting closer to completion. Wahoooooo

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've known about it never gave it much thought till trying to figure out what to do for the new vivs.

With the hair dryer on it it's drying not to bad. And Yea it's damn hard......

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya im thinking about trying it also. I just bought a houde tho so it may be a little bit. Let me know how it works out bud

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ya im thinking about trying it also. I just bought a houde tho so it may be a little bit. Let me know how it works out bud

Will do. One thing I've noticed is do NOT mix it to wet takes a lot longer to dry. The hair dryer is speeding it up but about 3 hours and it's almost completely dry.

uploadfromtaptalk1395533751485.jpg

It drys ALOT lighter....... I've also noticed top layer has light sand which I'll vacuum up. So far I'm liking it

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is one shelf larger/smaller than the rest?

Could the clay be used for the backdrop as well?

No all three shelves are the same size. Dragons going into each are all different sizes. And yes this stuff deff could be used for the background. But I've already used a 25 lbs box of the clay to do the floor lol. And to do the background I'd have to lay the hole shelving unit on its back and that would take up some room..

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
No all three shelves are the same size. Dragons going into each are all different sizes. And yes this stuff deff could be used for the background. But I've already used a 25 lbs box of the clay to do the floor lol. And to do the background I'd have to lay the hole shelving unit on its back and that would take up some room..

I imagine that it would! Best of luck and I can't wait to see how they continue to come along.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok. Ya i dont remember what a box cost here i think its around $30. i may make mine like 2" tho, thinking about having a 1' section of sand just so he can play a little.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yea I was going to do the same thing until I realized I'd need almost one box to do that.

All in all though it drys extremely hard. I rubbed my hand over entire surface to brake free any loose stuff than swept it and vacuumed it up. I did notice and areas with thin lips are brittle and will break off. Other than that I'm extremely happy with it.

Now to see how it is with beardies inside.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yea Ok so she's done. Wahoo..... New tenants move into it tomorrow....

Flash will be on the first shelf. No excavator clay because he's still small
View attachment 7859
View attachment 7860

Scarlet will be on the second shelf.
View attachment 7861
View attachment 7862

Jade will be on the third shelf.
uploadfromtaptalk1395547493924.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395547527846.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395547556021.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395547572264.jpg

I also have one more beardie named superman. He has been touched by kriptonite and hasn't grown since I got him. He's currently with the other 2 flash and scarlet hence the new vivs.

He will be housed alone in a 20 gallon long until he gets better. Than he will be put into the bottom shelve of the unit.......

Cheers all its been a slice.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
That looks awsum. Us hud b very proud of urself. Big pat on the bak 4 u ;)