• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Starting & Caring For A Dubia Roach Colony

littlsadie2

Bearded Dragon Egg
Unfortunately you might experience negative effects of surpassing 95 degrees.. Ideal temps are in the 70-80s. Low 90s for max in my experience.
I have been told not to put them in the basement or garage since the temps can't be contolled and in your area you could actually kill off the entire colony. 95 outside means about 115-120 in your garage. I have mine inside in a dark corner and will let you know when the babies hatch? in the next week.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is anyone else having trouble accessing the care Sheet?
Will check into the care sheet.. But if you click on the link below my comment for general care info for new comers I have put together info on how to keep Dubias and helpful tips.. hope that helps!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It says 'this site is frozen' :(

Have read that, thanks hdrydr31! [emoji106]
hmm ok I'll let patsyB know it may be from a previous member that's no longer here...
But what I've put together should get you going in the right direction and there are several of us here that have lots of knowledge on dubia colony info. feel free to ask whatever comes up.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The general info set up links in our signature are working fine. You may be trying to access an old care sheet that is no longer available.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yeah have accessed those fine, am trying to access
The link at the beginning of this sticky!

It's from 2012, the person that posted it isn't active anymore and has probably taken it down.

laswabbie

Juvenile Dragon
I think it will be cheaper. I bet my kids inheritance on it and started a dubia ranch in three large containers. I'm even hoping to sell some in the future if things go well.

Mom2Dovakiin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would check your local Craigslist ads first to see if there is anyone in your area that has them for sale. That way you can save the shipping costs. If not the link at the top of this thread is also a breeder and seller of them that can probably fix you up or Google " Dubia Roaches For Sale". You can also try Ebay and look in the For Sale Section here on the Forum too.

They are very common and easy to find at reasonable prices:)

I know this is old but suggesting Craigslist is a very dangerous thing for me lol....there were several actual BD's in there and my husband would KILL me if I did that hehehehe

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
I live in Columbus and we have a reptile show held at our county fairgrounds once a month. There we have a supplier that sells at great prices. I don't know if other places offer things like this but i found this out at my local pet store. With only one bearded dragon a colony isn't my way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d*N423#

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi, guys! Can you please help with the right amount of dubia roaches to start a colony for one beardie? What sizes, how many males and females to order so that I would be able to start feeding the dragon without waiting the colony to develop? Any help on amount will be much appreciated : )

GojiraMama

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
hi, guys! Can you please help with the right amount of dubia roaches to start a colony for one beardie? What sizes, how many males and females to order so that I would be able to start feeding the dragon without waiting the colony to develop? Any help on amount will be much appreciated : )

Seconded! My local pet store & the chain stores 50 miles away all just lost their source for crickets AND super worms due to a temperature accident with the distributor's facility that killed 6 million breeder bugs. I'm picking up from skimming the older posts on this thread that Dubias are quiet compared to crickets & produce little to no smell, which would be ideal. I'd like advice on reputable sellers & where to find good, current care sheets!

ChaoticRush

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does anyone know if there something you don't want to feed the roaches because it hurt the beardy once consumed

TheLongfellows

Hatchling Dragon
gillie while dubia are omnivores they do not nip the wings of their mates like orange head roaches and it would take alot of heat for them to infest my home i live in ohio so i highly doubt that they could infest my home or anybody else home if you don't live in a tropical area like florida or places were it is warm all year around like texas or california or so on.
If you had the correct female to male ratio they won't nip wings but I've bread a lot of generations of Dubai and they do mess each other up pretty good

ThatReptileKeeper

Bearded Dragon Egg
Will roaches, in the long run, be a less expensive route than crickets? I am tired of driving to the chain pet stores and spending $7 for 50 large crickets. They don't last me a week because my beardy is a growing boy.
Yes, an established roach colony will be much more cost-effective than repeatedly going to the store and buying crickets every week.