• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sleeping outside the cage at night. . . .?!

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
my beardie hates being in his cage at all times besides when she is basking and i wanted to know if anybody let their dragon sleep outside their cage at night while they went to sleep. . . my beardie is 17 inches long and has taken a nap by me for about 3 hours ((my girlfriend watched us while she worked on the computer just to make sure)) and she loves to be with people and when its time for a nap or night time she wants to be out and i put her beside me while i watch tv and she goes to sleep and when she wakes up she snuggles with me and goes back to sleep and i was just wondering as a "fun fact" if anybody ever let their beardie sleep outside thier cage at night while they were sleeping being as in if they were in the same room or locked their beardie in another room like a spare bedroom. . . .

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've met a bunch of owners that let their reptiles roam free. One of our members Brett, has a huge 6ft Iguana that always lounges around the house.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have heard of people letting their beardie sleep in their bed with them at night and they say it works out just fine. I would be too afraid to try it though, plus my hubby would not let that happen, lol.

Dunc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Exile Skimmer, the simple answer really is what sort of temperature is your house at night? as long as its above 60c then you shouldn't have a problem. Beardies primarily sleep when light and temperatures drop. My concern would be you may affect your beardies sleep pattern if the lights or heating is too high.

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i was thinking the same thing but my house doesnt get below 70 degrees and i have a bunkbed but the bottom is a fold out couch/futone so its dark under there always and i mostly sleep on the bottom since it is bigger also my beardies have hide aways int here tanks that a dark during the dday and since i have had many different reptiles i have extra stuff laying around the floor they go and hide in if they want but they seem to be happy laying on my feet under my desk while im on the computer bc of my laptop charger being warm and its dark even when i stay up late

Polly

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I've done it a few times, when I try to put him back in his enclosure at night and he backs up on my hands and doesn't want to go in so I put him on my pillow and he's happy as, sleeps all night and then wakes up when I do. I don't let him stay out at night if it's too cold though, ie. through winter. But if it's a nice day I've had naps and let him roam around my room and bask by the window, often I find later he's found a hiding place and gone to sleep though. But when I leave him out to roam I always leave the door to his enclosure open a little so he can get back in if he wants to (which he does).
I think it's fine to let them sleep with you, as long as you don't flail during the night. :)