• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick Beardie??

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Priscilla is in a 55 gallon enclosure however she will be moving to a 75 gallon by next year when I move. I get her out at least once daily to explore but she prefers her home and will climb back in. She eats collard, Swiss chard, dubias and super worms and the occasional hornworm. She loves supers and often ignores her greens till I give in. I give her a shower about 2X a week to poop and because she loves the shower. I put her under her light right after. Her ground cover is the excavator clay which is mostly hard. Her hot side is 115 and her cool side is 75-80 (recent heat wave that I try to fix with a fan to circulate air). Thank you for your help!!!!View attachment 22871View attachment 22872View attachment 22873
OH MY GOD!!!! GET THE SAND OUT ASAP.........Use paper towels or smooth shelf liner any color preferbaly beige u buy it from Target or wallmart. HE is probalby impacted, has sand in his tummy. Also, for a 40-50 gallon tank u need a 100Watt ZOOMED BASKING BULB clear in color. Do you have a red or black or coiled bulb?? Those are destructive to their eyes so no colored bulbs or coiled bulbs and he needs the REptisun UVB. Also his basking is too close to the loght it needs to be 8-12 inches away so raise the bulb thats all you have to do. and at night pure dark no colored bulbs detroys them. You mimick the day; our day clear white sun and pure dark at night. Some people are ignorant and dont know this and do alot of harm. that photo looks like hes 3inches from the light get a new basking platform or lower it and or raise the bulbs asap!! for him not to get 12-14 hours of UVB and Heat is horrbile he will be lethargic, no energy no appetite and cannot digest his food and get his vitamin D3!!! Please call me if you want

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OH MY GOD!!!! GET THE SAND OUT ASAP.........Use paper towels or smooth shelf liner any color preferbaly beige u buy it from Target or wallmart. HE is probalby impacted, has sand in his tummy. Also, for a 40-50 gallon tank u need a 100Watt ZOOMED BASKING BULB clear in color. Do you have a red or black or coiled bulb?? Those are destructive to their eyes so no colored bulbs or coiled bulbs and he needs the REptisun UVB. Also his basking is too close to the loght it needs to be 8-12 inches away so raise the bulb thats all you have to do. and at night pure dark no colored bulbs detroys them. You mimick the day; our day clear white sun and pure dark at night. Some people are ignorant and dont know this and do alot of harm. that photo looks like hes 3inches from the light get a new basking platform or lower it and or raise the bulbs asap!! for him not to get 12-14 hours of UVB and Heat is horrbile he will be lethargic, no energy no appetite and cannot digest his food and get his vitamin D3!!! Please call me if you want
ALSO TEMP AT 115 he can burn and DIE. I just read that!! Lower it to 100-105!!!

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Most likely is starting to brumate. It is getting closer to winter right now in Australia, which is why they usually start to brumate. Most people think that they get used to the climate they're in, but with my 4 years of experience, they don't. Most of the time they start brumation at about the time that it turns to winter in Australia. It honestly is very weird. Where I'm at it'll be awhile before it's winter, but my beardie has already started brumation.

View attachment 22897Thank you all so much for your help! I ended up feeding her a big veggie smoothie and she is much better.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Most likely is starting to brumate. It is getting closer to winter right now in Australia, which is why they usually start to brumate. Most people think that they get used to the climate they're in, but with my 4 years of experience, they don't. Most of the time they start brumation at about the time that it turns to winter in Australia. It honestly is very weird. Where I'm at it'll be awhile before it's winter, but my beardie has already started brumation.
Kate you cant hacve a temp of 115!!! Please fix asap!!! And lower the basking platform or raise the heat lamp and uvb has to be 12 inches away!! Please handle this is not good

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Kate you cant hacve a temp of 115!!! Please fix asap!!! And lower the basking platform or raise the heat lamp and uvb has to be 12 inches away!! Please handle this is not good
Hey, stop going ballistic! A temp of 115 is a bit to hot, true. But the humidity is the main problem. I'm sure she's got it under control. Please please please stop going insane and spamming the comments. I've been raising a bearded dragon for almost 4 years now, and the temp inside the tank was only about 3 - 4 degrees under that at most. So, yes, it's a bit hot, but the humidity is dangerous. I've seen beardies die from too much humidity.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey, stop going ballistic! A temp of 115 is a bit to hot, true. But the humidity is the main problem. I'm sure she's got it under control. Please please please stop going insane and spamming the comments. I've been raising a bearded dragon for almost 4 years now, and the temp inside the tank was only about 3 - 4 degrees under that at most. So, yes, it's a bit hot, but the humidity is dangerous. I've seen beardies die from too much humidity.
Duh obviously humidity should be only between 30-40!! They need to spend the $10 and hiybthe round black hy by the brand thrive!! And YES 113-115 is blazing HOT way to hot!! Stop giving wrong advice and enabling and she has a mouth and knows she’s In the wrong thats why her lips are sealed!! Most ar ignorant and treat animals inhumanly and don’t know anything about Beardies!! NO mealworms ever it’s cheap, impacts them and destroys there digestive system and NO colored bulbs ever the red or balck or coiled ruins their eyes they live the life of true day/sunlight/night time do I wanna sleepnwith a black or red loght and see how u like it is that our world? Is the sun red or balck??! Use your brain people!! I Reacue and rehome because of people like you and others!!! Ignorant just learn and google what the correct temps shoidl be. One of my Beardies is 4yrs old can only withstand 98-100. Adults are 95-100 and babies or juvenile adults 100-105!!! That’s it

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Duh obviously humidity should be only between 30-40!! They need to spend the $10 and hiybthe round black hy by the brand thrive!! And YES 113-115 is blazing HOT way to hot!! Stop giving wrong advice and enabling and she has a mouth and knows she’s In the wrong thats why her lips are sealed!! Most ar ignorant and treat animals inhumanly and don’t know anything about Beardies!! NO mealworms ever it’s cheap, impacts them and destroys there digestive system and NO colored bulbs ever the red or balck or coiled ruins their eyes they live the life of true day/sunlight/night time do I wanna sleepnwith a black or red loght and see how u like it is that our world? Is the sun red or balck??! Use your brain people!! I Reacue and rehome because of people like you and others!!! Ignorant just learn and google what the correct temps shoidl be. One of my Beardies is 4yrs old can only withstand 98-100. Adults are 95-100 and babies or juvenile adults 100-105!!! That’s it
Yes, I understand that. But first of all, she didn't even ask about mealworms! Also, bearded dragons can have up to 6 large mealworms per feeding before they become dangerous. And yes, the sand should come out, I'll give you that one. Just please stop acting like an elitest douchebag of bearded dragon culture, it's stupid. We all have our own preferences and thoughts. Also use YOUR brain because obviously you can't spell a thing correctly, just look at the comment I quoted. STOP commenting on people's posts if you're going to make everyone seem like an idiot! I'm not going to say that I know everything, but YOU don't either! I'm tired of people thinking they know everything and getting to cocky. You also can't say she's avoiding you because she knows she's wrong, because there is a lot of stuff going on right now. Everyone makes mistakes, so we have to HELP them and not make them feel like idiots!

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes, I understand that. But first of all, she didn't even ask about mealworms! Also, bearded dragons can have up to 6 large mealworms per feeding before they become dangerous. And yes, the sand should come out, I'll give you that one. Just please stop acting like an elitest douchebag of bearded dragon culture, it's stupid. We all have our own preferences and thoughts. Also use YOUR brain because obviously you can't spell a thing correctly, just look at the comment I quoted. STOP commenting on people's posts if you're going to make everyone seem like an idiot! I'm not going to say that I know everything, but YOU don't either! I'm tired of people thinking they know everything and getting to cocky. You also can't say she's avoiding you because she knows she's wrong, because there is a lot of stuff going on right now. Everyone makes mistakes, so we have to HELP them and not make them feel like idiots!
I'm also not saying you're an idiot, you very well might be a great bearded dragon owner, what I'm saying is we have to help the one's in need and not make them feel stupid.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'd like to mention that @KateRose is NOT using sand. Earlier post states she's using excavator clay. I use excavator clay which has very little crumble and my baby is doing fine. My vet is ok with me using excavator clay. Also, I can't see anywhere in the post where she mentions she's not giving proper daytime and night time exposure, so I'm not sure why that was mentioned. Additionally, earlier posts mention that she may have determined the issue was with her diet. She adjusted and her beardie is doing better. She also says that her hot side is at 115 and her cool side at 75-80 due to a recent heat wave that she was trying to regulate with a fan to create air circulation. She never said that her basking temps were consistently that high. Just needed to point out these few things. No need to scream and name call. Helpful information is better received when it's concise, to the point, and not accusatory.

Roo’s Mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Remove any colored or coil bulbs ASAP. It burns their eyes. Also the best and only UVB to use is Reptisun 10.0 T5 it makes their tank light and bright gives them energy and helps absorb vitam D and absorb the calcium that u should be dusting the crickets with. Only feed him crickets and Dubia roaches only. Super worms and horn worms as treat when they are 1.5-2yrs old. Also use the ZooMed basking bulb and a ZooMed yellow digital thermometer he should be 6-8 inches from the basking light and the long UVb place in back of tank and his basking to the right or left of the tank. Humidity mite be off too should be 30-40 percent nothing higher if higher than 40; open windows place the hydrogomwtwr next to thermometer on hot basking side it’s a round balck dial one I think made by thrive. And temp should be 95-103 not any higher 105 at most but the temps vary cuz it’s sunner so raise the basking bulb to lower the temp or lower his basking platform by buying him a new one and place the balck dial on the thermometer rest it on the basking spot to see the exact temp then when u get it right place him on there. But yes temp is way too hot that’s why is hiding and avoiding it. Also, dust all crickets with calcium once per day 5days a week! And a bowl of staple greens and veggies an hour after basking u feed him dandelions, mustard/collard greens, snap peas, yellow squash, endives, zucchini once in a while. Place on cold side of tank & a small bowl of water in cold side remove veggies after 4hours place a new one later and make sure he’s eating a lot of protein/crickets & Dubias. ! And he’s probably dehydrated a warm bath twice per week minimum u can do 3; for 15min in Luke warm dechlorinated water if u don’t have a water softener use reptisafe 2drops for every cup it kills the chlorine instantly it seems horrible for their bodies. So try that; do not feed dried food or meal worms; it impacts them and destroys their stomache and remove sand substrate use smooth shelf liner from target or wallmart beige on color not black.
Would a T8 bulb work, that’s all our stores have.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Attachments

• UVB Blub.jpg
    UVB Blub.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 0

KateRose

Hatchling Dragon
I changed the bulb to smaller thanks to Silverdragon’s kind and thoughtful advice and has been at 100 for a while. Stop posting on this. You are not helping. Implying I’m a bad caretaker of my dragon is not helpful. I do EVERYTHING I can to get advice and fix problems IMMEDIATELY because I do care. Attacking me is rude. I feed my dragon dubias and some supers and collards and other greens mainly. She is on excavator clay. I DONT USE COLORED LIGHTS. How the hell do you know what I feed her daily? Or any of this other crap you are yelling about??? Your spelling and grammar is shameful and you are clearly a bully. YOU ARE HELPING NO ONE BY ATTACKING THEM. You should be ashamed of yourself.
i fixed these things (heating/humidity) and do not have sand or colored lights etc like this bully Julee is implying. He needs to stop. I ended up muting him but he needs to be banned from this forum. His type of comments are not constructive or helpful. Also his grammar/spelling is painful to read. Thank you for your response.

KateRose

Hatchling Dragon
I'd like to mention that @KateRose is NOT using sand. Earlier post states she's using excavator clay. I use excavator clay which has very little crumble and my baby is doing fine. My vet is ok with me using excavator clay. Also, I can't see anywhere in the post where she mentions she's not giving proper daytime and night time exposure, so I'm not sure why that was mentioned. Additionally, earlier posts mention that she may have determined the issue was with her diet. She adjusted and her beardie is doing better. She also says that her hot side is at 115 and her cool side at 75-80 due to a recent heat wave that she was trying to regulate with a fan to create air circulation. She never said that her basking temps were consistently that high. Just needed to point out these few things. No need to scream and name call. Helpful information is better received when it's concise, to the point, and not accusatory.
Thank you Barb. The level of attacks by this guy are unbelievable and not helpful to new owners. I did adjust temps etc. and the reaction that I got from simply asking questions was mostly helpful. However the assumption that I am feeding exclusively mealworms and using colored lights etc. and have sand and a constant temp of 115 is not true! This forum should be a place to help one another not bully. THank you for being helpful.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I changed the bulb to smaller thanks to Silverdragon’s kind and thoughtful advice and has been at 100 for a while. Stop posting on this. You are not helping. Implying I’m a bad caretaker of my dragon is not helpful. I do EVERYTHING I can to get advice and fix problems IMMEDIATELY because I do care. Attacking me is rude. I feed my dragon dubias and some supers and collards and other greens mainly. She is on excavator clay. I DONT USE COLORED LIGHTS. How the hell do you know what I feed her daily? Or any of this other crap you are yelling about??? Your spelling and grammar is shameful and you are clearly a bully. YOU ARE HELPING NO ONE BY ATTACKING THEM. You should be ashamed of yourself.

i fixed these things (heating/humidity) and do not have sand or colored lights etc like this bully Julee is implying. He needs to stop. I ended up muting him but he needs to be banned from this forum. His type of comments are not constructive or helpful. Also his grammar/spelling is painful to read. Thank you for your response.
Wow... That is a pretty great response, and I applaud you for that. That's great you fixed the heating/humidity. And you're welcome! If you need any other questions answered, just ask! P.S. Sorry about saying you're using sand, didn't realize you're using excavator clay until later when I couldn't edit my reply. Thanks for being a great bearded dragon owner! Cheers!

KateRose

Hatchling Dragon
I'm also not saying you're an idiot, you very well might be a great bearded dragon owner, what I'm saying is we have to help the one's in need and not make them feel stupid.
I'm saying he's an idiot. ALSO MY DRAGON IS A LADY. Not a he. This "expert" didn't even fully read my post before freaking out on here like I'm some evil dragon killer. Temps were 115 at the top of my tank because of a heatwave that I managed with smaller lighting and air circulation that very day. I did not respond to him or to this post till now because my dragon is doing well thanks to the HELPFUL PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm saying he's an idiot. ALSO MY DRAGON IS A LADY. Not a he. This "expert" didn't even fully read my post before freaking out on here like I'm some evil dragon killer. Temps were 115 at the top of my tank because of a heatwave that I managed with smaller lighting and air circulation that very day. I did not respond to him or to this post till now because my dragon is doing well thanks to the HELPFUL PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM.
You're not an evil dragon killer. She's probably just some old hag who has no place in any of your business.

KateRose

Hatchling Dragon
ALSO TEMP AT 115 he can burn and DIE. I just read that!! Lower it to 100-105!!!
TEMP WAS 115 at the top of the tank (DURING A HEATWAVE) and was lowered that day. Why are you yelling? You should not be on these forums if you cannot give calm advice. People are on here to GET BETTER AT TAKING CARE OF THEIR DRAGONS so you screaming at them is not HELPING. Also my dragon is a GIRL. Which if you even took the time to read my post before making HUGE assumptions about my set up you would know. I don't use sand, or colored lights and feed mainly dubias and collards. I didn't respond till now because I have a job and a life. I take time to help others not shame them or bring them down. I am disgusted by your behavior on this posting and hope you recognize that this is abusive and not helpful.

KateRose

Hatchling Dragon
You're not an evil dragon killer. She's probably just some old hag who has no place in any of your business.
Thanks though I totally assume Julee is a dude but I could be wrong. Sounded a lot like "mansplaining" to me. I really though need to focus on the positive advice on here from people like you and Barb and Silverdragon. I just HATE that some people attack others who are trying to learn more! I'm sure attacks like that make others not feel comfortable asking questions or advice. How can we get better if we don't learn from others?

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks though I totally assume Julee is a dude but I could be wrong. Sounded a lot like "mansplaining" to me. I really though need to focus on the positive advice on here from people like you and Barb and Silverdragon. I just HATE that some people attack others who are trying to learn more! I'm sure attacks like that make others not feel comfortable asking questions or advice. How can we get better if we don't learn from others?
I agree. It's not cool to attack people trying to learn. This is literally a real life situation in which a quote could be placed. Treat others how you want to be treated. It'll come around to her/him eventually.