• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick Beardie??

KateRose

Hatchling Dragon
My dragon is 2 years old and eats and drinks fine but stays most of the day in her hide and acts lethargic. Hot and cool temps are ok maybe.a bit high but I did get a smaller basking bulb. Any suggestions? I will take her to a vet in the next week if it continues.

KateRose

Hatchling Dragon
Priscilla is in a 55 gallon enclosure however she will be moving to a 75 gallon by next year when I move. I get her out at least once daily to explore but she prefers her home and will climb back in. She eats collard, Swiss chard, dubias and super worms and the occasional hornworm. She loves supers and often ignores her greens till I give in. I give her a shower about 2X a week to poop and because she loves the shower. I put her under her light right after. Her ground cover is the excavator clay which is mostly hard. Her hot side is 115 and her cool side is 75-80 (recent heat wave that I try to fix with a fan to circulate air). Thank you for your help!!!!
61E90CE8-1520-4582-8531-EE3FBB88CFD5.jpeg
42966DBB-5864-4ACB-9A49-0A85F7BD038D.jpeg
D722E29A-3D3A-4091-9567-737B327B8809.jpeg

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
All of your husband really looks good except for I don't see a tube light so I would try to do that as soon as possible. Now I'm not 100% sure why she would be acting that way, it might be brumates like Avery Hannah said. If I were you I would just let her run her course and watch her closely but if you're really concerned you can take her to a vet.

KateRose

Hatchling Dragon
All of your husband really looks good except for I don't see a tube light so I would try to do that as soon as possible. Now I'm not 100% sure why she would be acting that way, it might be brumates like Avery Hannah said. If I were you I would just let her run her course and watch her closely but if you're really concerned you can take her to a vet.
I just got out another fluorescent light and she’s acting more active. Thank you for the advice!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My dragon is 2 years old and eats and drinks fine but stays most of the day in her hide and acts lethargic. Hot and cool temps are ok maybe.a bit high but I did get a smaller basking bulb. Any suggestions? I will take her to a vet in the next week if it continues.
Remove any colored or coil bulbs ASAP. It burns their eyes. Also the best and only UVB to use is Reptisun 10.0 T5 it makes their tank light and bright gives them energy and helps absorb vitam D and absorb the calcium that u should be dusting the crickets with. Only feed him crickets and Dubia roaches only. Super worms and horn worms as treat when they are 1.5-2yrs old. Also use the ZooMed basking bulb and a ZooMed yellow digital thermometer he should be 6-8 inches from the basking light and the long UVb place in back of tank and his basking to the right or left of the tank. Humidity mite be off too should be 30-40 percent nothing higher if higher than 40; open windows place the hydrogomwtwr next to thermometer on hot basking side it’s a round balck dial one I think made by thrive. And temp should be 95-103 not any higher 105 at most but the temps vary cuz it’s sunner so raise the basking bulb to lower the temp or lower his basking platform by buying him a new one and place the balck dial on the thermometer rest it on the basking spot to see the exact temp then when u get it right place him on there. But yes temp is way too hot that’s why is hiding and avoiding it. Also, dust all crickets with calcium once per day 5days a week! And a bowl of staple greens and veggies an hour after basking u feed him dandelions, mustard/collard greens, snap peas, yellow squash, endives, zucchini once in a while. Place on cold side of tank & a small bowl of water in cold side remove veggies after 4hours place a new one later and make sure he’s eating a lot of protein/crickets & Dubias. ! And he’s probably dehydrated a warm bath twice per week minimum u can do 3; for 15min in Luke warm dechlorinated water if u don’t have a water softener use reptisafe 2drops for every cup it kills the chlorine instantly it seems horrible for their bodies. So try that; do not feed dried food or meal worms; it impacts them and destroys their stomache and remove sand substrate use smooth shelf liner from target or wallmart beige on color not black.

KateRose

Hatchling Dragon
Made her a greens and red pepper smoothie and she’s looking more active too. I think she was holding out for mealworms and ignoring her veggies. Hope this keeps up!!!

skin_ink&skinks

Bearded Dragon Egg
As long as she’s eating and drinking normal, even being subdued, it’s fair to monitor her for now. I would watch her fecal portions and irate, track when (time) and what day she does act more lethargic- see if there’s a trend. Monitor every 1hr or two to give a good estimate of how much of the day she seems lethargic. I know my bearded will sometimes go on a spurt of seeming lethargy but when out and given more enrichment activities (outside in an expen, chasing their food, solving puzzles, exploring the living room, etc) they perk back up. It may be a situation of boredom but I wouldn’t discount underlying medical issues. Always good to watch eyes/nose/mouth/teeth/cloaca for any advancements. Perhaps she’s going to shed? Or is gravid as someone else said? Or is about to brumate ? Also watch the pressure gauges locally- my bearded get more subdued and sleep in their hides when it’s about to storm; I feel they may feel the atm pressure changing better than we do. Always alway always good to keep detailed notes for your vet/tech, but it also sounds like an issue that can wait a little longer to be seen (not urgent/ER). Highly suggest to call your vet now to see how long the wait is for appt in case- I work at an avi/ex vet and with covid we’ve had some staff take leaves and had to only have a single doctor per day because we don’t have the techs we used to so we are personally scheduling out rn. if you need an appt and can’t afford ER prices I cannot stress enough to call and schedule- can always be canceled but waiting too long may prove troublesome and frustrating on your end. Good luck!

AStanley80

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I would definitely try to change your bulb as soon as possible as coil UVB bulbs are bad for bearded dragons. I would highly suggest a T5 reptisun bulb instead.

I am following this post as I have a 9month old with same issues. He was thriving and then his heat bulb blew and we replaced it. The new one was too hot. Changed it back out.

We have the coiled uv bulb in the tank that came with the 50gal zoomed tank kit. Maybe thats our issue too. We ruled out parasites. But each week he becomes more lethargic and hides under his fort. His stool was loose and mucus filled for weeks. We changed up diet -- that helped then he stopped shedding and eating much or drinking and hasn't passed a stool in 2 plus weeks. The tip of his tounge is white. He is holding his weight like this steady at 332 grams no decrease. Just not eating, drinking, shedding or being active and hiding -- awake most of the time just hiding out.

Should we switch out the coil uv bulb and put him in a bath? Vet has called in some emergency food for him today. I feel like he's either burmating or slipping away slowly. How do you tell the difference? The pet stores here run low on fresh crickets each week and boxed ones are unhealthy and old. With covid its been a real challenge to know what's going on.

If this continue -- we will take him in on Friday.

AStanley80

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am following this post as I have a 9month old with same issues. He was thriving and then his heat bulb blew and we replaced it. The new one was too hot. Changed it back out.

We have the coiled uv bulb in the tank that came with the 50gal zoomed tank kit. Maybe thats our issue too. We ruled out parasites. But each week he becomes more lethargic and hides under his fort. His stool was loose and mucus filled for weeks. We changed up diet -- that helped then he stopped shedding and eating much or drinking and hasn't passed a stool in 2 plus weeks. The tip of his tounge is white. He is holding his weight like this steady at 332 grams no decrease. Just not eating, drinking, shedding or being active and hiding -- awake most of the time just hiding out.

Should we switch out the coil uv bulb and put him in a bath? Vet has called in some emergency food for him today. I feel like he's either burmating or slipping away slowly. How do you tell the difference? The pet stores here run low on fresh crickets each week and boxed ones are unhealthy and old. With covid its been a real challenge to know what's going on.

If this continue -- we will take him in on Friday.

Attachments

• 20200729_125202.jpg
    20200729_125202.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20200729-125153_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200729-125153_Chrome.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 7

Earls MUM

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Did you get sorted with your dragon?

Latest posts