• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shoulder Blades?

BeardiePerson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so I noticed my female beardie has what I would think to be shoulder blades sticking out. My two males don't have them and I'm not sure if it's because of the way she holds onto the logs in her tank or what...
image.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
wow that does look like them to me too.. can you post a picture of her over all so we can see what her entire body looks like? how old is she and how much does she weigh?

BeardiePerson

Bearded Dragon Egg
wow that does look like them to me too.. can you post a picture of her over all so we can see what her entire body looks like? how old is she and how much does she weigh?

Not sure how much she was but she was at the vet recently and they didn't seem worried and she has gained weight since then. Again not exactly sure how old she is, previous owner said around 2Years.
image.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok she doesn't look that bad to me from this picture she could put some more weight on her frame and be ok. Her legs look on the skinny side. But sometimes angle is everything :) She's a pretty leatherback! The way I see things is when up and walking/running around as long as their belly isn't dragging on the ground they are good. In my experience they 1. won't let themselves starve 2. typically stops eating once full.. Our job is to provide good food items in the greens and bugs and avoid overly fatty foods/bugs. And most importantly giving them exercise time to stay in good shape.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is it just excess skin in that area? Or does it actually feel like bone?

I've seen pictures of some dragons that just appear to have looser skin around their beards and other areas.
I agree with Hdrydr, she looks great but it wouldn't hurt to help her pack on a few more grams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeardiePerson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok she doesn't look that bad to me from this picture she could put some more weight on her frame and be ok. Her legs look on the skinny side. But sometimes angle is everything :) She's a pretty leatherback! The way I see things is when up and walking/running around as long as their belly isn't dragging on the ground they are good. In my experience they 1. won't let themselves starve 2. typically stops eating once full.. Our job is to provide good food items in the greens and bugs and avoid overly fatty foods/bugs. And most importantly giving them exercise time to stay in good shape.
Ok I looked at the picture and I see what you mean. She isn't actually that thin I was petting her and she made herself look smaller?... Lol... My two beardies do that all the time. She eats like crazy when I hand feed her but she won't eat if I just leave it in her cage ( Unless it's live food ) I'm not sure if she's gotten lazy or gotten into the habit of me hand feeding her.. I try to leave some around her and hand feed her some but if I drop it next to her she'll just look at it and look away.. Ideas?..

BeardiePerson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is it just excess skin in that area? Or does it actually feel like bone?

I've seen pictures of some dragons that just appear to have looser skin around their beards and other areas.
I agree with Hdrydr, she looks great but it wouldn't hurt to help her pack on a few more grams.

It's just skin. Tomorrow is the day I deep clean all tanks and while I do that they get a bath. Trying to get my mum to let me get a Dubai colony but my parents complain they stink ( Bad cricket experience ) And my mum is terrified of them. I tried to tell her they don't stink.. So yeah.. She wants them outside but I'm afraid they may get parasites?.. Pet store visits daily are out of the question..

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She's not a deaths door or anything, the fact that you have other mouths to feed as well shows you've been doing really good by her.

I'm not sure what your temps are outside? If you live in a warm area and have like a storage building you could keep a colony in that may work to keep unwanted pest out. If that's not an option you can always look into adding cheaper feeders to the mix. Black solider fly larvae and superworms tend to be cheaper than Dubias and can complement their current diet.

BeardiePerson

Bearded Dragon Egg
She's not a deaths door or anything, the fact that you have other mouths to feed as well shows you've been doing really good by her.

I'm not sure what your temps are outside? If you live in a warm area and have like a storage building you could keep a colony in that may work to keep unwanted pest out. If that's not an option you can always look into adding cheaper feeders to the mix. Black solider fly larvae and superworms tend to be cheaper than Dubias and can complement their current diet.

It's around 90-80 degrees in the afternoon. May try one of those or multiple to see which the beardies like the best.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Could just be the way she is sitting. One of my girls shows her shoulder blades too every now and then and it freaks me out but she is definitely not too skinny.