• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should I be using sand and no thermostat?

Jiminycrickets

Bearded Dragon Egg
I went to my local exotic pet shop and the guy told me that I should be using sand and not the clay substrate i have.
He also said that I shouldn't use a thermostat cause it'll be too cold or something.
I'm so confused because I thought all that stuff was bad? He has lots of experience with keeping reptiles/bearded dragons so I'm not sure if I should trust him or nah?
And the thermostat/excavator clay was quite expensive so I'm not sure what to do now.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Jiminycrickets

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! Thanks for replying! The thermostat is a dimmer one for my basking bulb. My basking bulb is a white 75w floodlight bulb.
The uvb I'm using is a 55w tube light from arcadia (reflector and all).
He told me to just leave the basking bulb alone and to ditch the thermostat cause they don't make bulbs hot enough for beardies :/
Not too sure if he's right about it or if I should use a thermostat for the bulb (for day time by the way)

Jiminycrickets

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can you show me a picture of the Arcadia bulb please-- the thermostat is fine as long as its keeping temps 95-110 - it should be constant and not shutting off ---

Attachments

• 15820360963241382807722.jpg
    15820360963241382807722.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33

Jiminycrickets

Bearded Dragon Egg
To be honest I dont know if that UVB bulb is a good one to use for a dragon - and since hes not gaining I would get it changed out --- I can only tell you what works and what does not work and w/ the experience I have w/ the bulbs I would recommend you get it changed out -- I can have you go to this forum and ask about that bulb your using they on that forum can tell you take this post and these pics of this Arcadia bulb and ask there - if it were me I would change the whole thing out and replace it - I will give you a website for a new hood/ fixture w/ reflector and a bulb - its a 24 " fixture for $32 and the Arcadia 12% bulb for like $21 or so - go look here www.pangeareptiles.com these people are fast and good I have ordered from them alot -- but like I said if you want go to this forum www.beardeddragon.org and ask about the bulb your currently using ---
Hi. I'm not sure I understand? The UVB light I'm using is a "55w Arcadia UV Flood D3 + 12% UVB Reptile T5 with controller and reflector" . I thought that was what was recommended for beardies?
Also, I haven't gotten my beardie (juvenile) yet, just making sure that I've got everything ready/prepared and checked so I give my boy the best life I can give it!

Jiminycrickets

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so yep your good I am bad --- I just looked at the light ---------------- beings that is a 55w I am not sure what the distance would be for that flood lamp- please go to this website and ask www.beardeddragon.org that 55w flood is throwing me off I can only tell you what the distance for the 12% UVB should be --- so you have the correct distance please go ask there about that bulb
Okay, thanks for your help! :)

Latest posts