• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shedding

Bigfatpoo

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardies shedding rn and I’m wondering if it has anything to do with his behaviour. I’ve had him for 9 days and he’s been fine with me and exploring and stuff but for the last two days he’s been staying in the same spot practically all day and seems more scared by me. It might be just cause he’s still new (and young) or about shedding but idk i just want to make sure I’m not doing anything wrong lol

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My beardies shedding rn and I’m wondering if it has anything to do with his behaviour. I’ve had him for 9 days and he’s been fine with me and exploring and stuff but for the last two days he’s been staying in the same spot practically all day and seems more scared by me. It might be just cause he’s still new (and young) or about shedding but idk i just want to make sure I’m not doing anything wrong lol
Welcome -- please post pics of him and the tank and lighting so I can better help and see what is going on
thank you

Bigfatpoo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome -- please post pics of him and the tank and lighting so I can better help and see what is going on
thank you
Ok I’ve attached some pics, the ones with nothing there are where he’s been hiding them there’s him, and some pics of the tank. He’s eating fine he eats 20-30 locusts a day and gets calcium+d3. Uvb is Arcadia and brand new. And temps are fine as well so it’s nothing to do with the lighting. He either hides under his basking spot or out of view.

Attachments

• EC096FB5-F1B3-480C-915A-3E9B5D6DCB32.jpeg
    EC096FB5-F1B3-480C-915A-3E9B5D6DCB32.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 048ABC55-5259-4646-8B24-48F94590BF38.jpeg
    048ABC55-5259-4646-8B24-48F94590BF38.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 74890DFC-D6F9-4160-9FB8-8D4D79844750.jpeg
    74890DFC-D6F9-4160-9FB8-8D4D79844750.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 91AFCD7B-D950-44A1-BAFA-FB17C69CDDD9.jpeg
    91AFCD7B-D950-44A1-BAFA-FB17C69CDDD9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 861374A3-9B3A-4E46-BAEE-8FB91B24BA5A.jpeg
    861374A3-9B3A-4E46-BAEE-8FB91B24BA5A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • FAE2D0B2-AC0C-4165-ABB5-94025F8A5FF8.jpeg
    FAE2D0B2-AC0C-4165-ABB5-94025F8A5FF8.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I’ve attached some pics, the ones with nothing there are where he’s been hiding them there’s him, and some pics of the tank. He’s eating fine he eats 20-30 locusts a day and gets calcium+d3. Uvb is Arcadia and brand new. And temps are fine as well so it’s nothing to do with the lighting. He either hides under his basking spot or out of view.
Ok so I would get rid of the yellowish basking bulb to a bright white one - Exo Terra basking bulb for reference dont know what you using now but you want a bright white one -- those provide UVA along w/ the temps -- the UVB is a Arcadia ? 12%? it looks like a Sunblaster fixture? I am hoping -- They have certain distances for them to be and it needs to be directly over the basking decor that you have but I need the bulb so we can set proper distance for it if its a 12% bulb T 5 distance needs to be 12-15 inches and from what I can see it looks like it is-- and the substrate I would get rid of -- those look like wood chips and if he were to ingest one and if its sharp that will cause internal injuries -- or can lead to impaction - you can look at getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 cut to the size of your tank - try Walmart or your local home improvement store - or slated ceramic tile - but that must be cut w/ a tile cutter so you do not get jagged edges - measure from inside the tank - you dont want to glue or grout it in incase you ever need to pull it out - you can use some thick shop towels under it from like Walmart to catch the watery urate -- easy cleaning - so it looks good -- but I would definitely get the basking bulb changed out and see what he does --

Bigfatpoo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so I would get rid of the yellowish basking bulb to a bright white one - Exo Terra basking bulb for reference dont know what you using now but you want a bright white one -- those provide UVA along w/ the temps -- the UVB is a Arcadia ? 12%? it looks like a Sunblaster fixture? I am hoping -- They have certain distances for them to be and it needs to be directly over the basking decor that you have but I need the bulb so we can set proper distance for it if its a 12% bulb T 5 distance needs to be 12-15 inches and from what I can see it looks like it is-- and the substrate I would get rid of -- those look like wood chips and if he were to ingest one and if its sharp that will cause internal injuries -- or can lead to impaction - you can look at getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 cut to the size of your tank - try Walmart or your local home improvement store - or slated ceramic tile - but that must be cut w/ a tile cutter so you do not get jagged edges - measure from inside the tank - you dont want to glue or grout it in incase you ever need to pull it out - you can use some thick shop towels under it from like Walmart to catch the watery urate -- easy cleaning - so it looks good -- but I would definitely get the basking bulb changed out and see what he does --
Yeah I’m probably gonna upgrade the basking light at some point, it’s an Arcadia 75 watts however temps are perfect. The uvb is the 12% Arcadia t5 kit and yeah the distance is fine. With the substrate the only reason I have the beech chips is because the beardie has been on it since birth, so he doesn’t think of it as anything else than floor, it’s the exact same one as a got it from the breeder. I wouldn’t have got it otherwise.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah I’m probably gonna upgrade the basking light at some point, it’s an Arcadia 75 watts however temps are perfect. The uvb is the 12% Arcadia t5 kit and yeah the distance is fine. With the substrate the only reason I have the beech chips is because the beardie has been on it since birth, so he doesn’t think of it as anything else than floor, it’s the exact same one as a got it from the breeder. I wouldn’t have got it otherwise.
I still dont recommend it as babies lick everything and are clumsy eaters and one sharp piece can cause disaster just saying -- the yellowish bulb does not provide UVA and he needs UVA --- I would do so soon or he may quit eating all together ---- they haft to have the correct lighting or they will quit eating -- him hiding and not basking is not a good thing babies bask A LOT they need it to start digestion and that basking bulb is what does that the UVB helps them absorb / synthesize the calcium they are eating / ingesting

Bigfatpoo

Bearded Dragon Egg
I still dont recommend it as babies lick everything and are clumsy eaters and one sharp piece can cause disaster just saying -- the yellowish bulb does not provide UVA and he needs UVA --- I would do so soon or he may quit eating all together ---- they haft to have the correct lighting or they will quit eating -- him hiding and not basking is not a good thing babies bask A LOT they need it to start digestion and that basking bulb is what does that the UVB helps them absorb / synthesize the calcium they are eating / ingesting
Yeah I’ll switch the basking bulb however I’m not gonna switch out the substrate as I feed him with tongs and he’s not usually on the substrate when he’s fed, he’s eating fine around 20-30 bugs a day prob and he’s basking a lot more now so prob was just cos he’s shedding lol

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah I’ll switch the basking bulb however I’m not gonna switch out the substrate as I feed him with tongs and he’s not usually on the substrate when he’s fed, he’s eating fine around 20-30 bugs a day prob and he’s basking a lot more now so prob was just cos he’s shedding lol
Are you feeding salads? Shedding can cause decrease in appetite -

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He has access to a salad at all times he just doesn’t like it very much.
You can try getting some BSFL to entice him to the bowl- www.symtonbsf.com order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise
Add them in front of him you will need a bowl like this or similar to so they can escape
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Do Not dust them they are calcium enriched --- feed as many as you want they are a great compliment to the main staple insect -- you can hand feed them so hes used to your hand - I would try and lay off the tong feeding and use your hand more - when he gets older you want him eating on his own and not used to you feeding him --