• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shedding or Tail Rot?

AmyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,

Can anyone help please, is this Shedding or Tail Rot, she is approx 10-12 weeks old, have a small darker area on tail approx 1-2inches when we picked her up a week ago, today noticed her tail is getting much darker, thought it was sand so bathe and no change, kinda a grayish look to tail.

She seems spritely, eating same since the last week.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210410_181355.jpg
    20210410_181355.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

Can anyone help please, is this Shedding or Tail Rot, she is approx 10-12 weeks old, have a small darker area on tail approx 1-2inches when we picked her up a week ago, today noticed her tail is getting much darker, thought it was sand so bathe and no change, kinda a grayish look to tail.

She seems spritely, eating same since the last week.

Thanks
Hi -- is there any injury nip or bite on the end of the tail? I cant see it when I zoom in to it it blurs out- if there is no injury then its shed- if there is some injury at the end it will get black dry out and look brittle- that could be the start of an infection - if there is none of that then its shed- grayish would be shed --- the substrate I would change out- you dont want her eating the loose rock in the tank - it can cause impaction- I would look at getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store - cut it to the size of the tank and clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50-- make sure your lighting UVB and basking temps are up to par --- NO coils for UVB and basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons -- temps should be 105-110 for basking middle of the tank 90's and cool side of the tank 80's --

AmyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, thanks for reply, as far as I know there is no injury but I am not an expert on what it would look like if it was, have attached a few addiitonal pictures.

With the substrate, could I not just keep it and filter out most the bigger bits?

Hot end is 38c controlled by thermostat, cooler end 27-28c, night time 24c and humidity between 20-40% sits roughly 30% generally.

UV is a Arcadia D3+ 12% and is approx 15inches from surface with a reflector, basking areas put her within 12 inches of UV light.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210410_185854.jpg
    20210410_185854.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20210410_185900.jpg
    20210410_185900.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210410_185916.jpg
    20210410_185916.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, thanks for reply, as far as I know there is no injury but I am not an expert on what it would look like if it was, have attached a few addiitonal pictures.

With the substrate, could I not just keep it and filter out most the bigger bits?

Hot end is 38c controlled by thermostat, cooler end 27-28c, night time 24c and humidity between 20-40% sits roughly 30% generally.

UV is a Arcadia D3+ 12% and is approx 15inches from surface with a reflector, basking areas put her within 12 inches of UV light.

Thanks

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Looks normal to me, could be a combination of shedding and hes stressed, when babies are stressed their tails darken and belly patterns get darker, what kind of substrate is it? The main problem with substrates is they eat it cause they’re lacking something in their diet or accidentall ingestion if u dont dish feed, its better to play it safe and just have them on paper towels or tile, but if your adamant in loose substrate, please keep him hydrated (this will lessen the chances of impaction) make shure he’s getting veggies every single day(he may not eat it but still offer it) along with calcium with d3 a multivitamin, gut load your bugs and make shure they’re getting proper Real food (carrots,potato,broccoli,romaine lettuce, etc.) hopefully in doing these things this will keep him from eating the substrate, if he licks alot in his enclosure and eats it you’re gonna have to ditch it, it’s really a case by case situation, some beardies just love eating crud, and some like my beardie never eat their substrate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would try and get your basking temp up a little to 105F -- the cool temp is good along w/ your nite time temp and the Arcadia is a great bulb- do you have it in the tank? The distance is good too -- tail looks fine I cant see anything there for injury or nip so I 'd say just shed
the substrate you can try vacuuming up the loose rocks but if she want she will eat them as they come loose- its better if she doesnt have access to them --

AmyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Sadie, thank you for that useful information, yes the UV is in the tank.

Attachments

• 20210410_195511.jpg
    20210410_195511.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210410_195504.jpg
    20210410_195504.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie, thank you for that useful information, yes the UV is in the tank.
Ok so lighting and all looks good - I will suggest that when she gets bigger that stick you have standing up is not going to work for her -- I would get something that is not so straight up in the air for her -- this is a piece I use in my tanks its very useful to them as you can lay it different ways in the tank I have the long stick part laying on the floor of the tank and the big trunk part is under the basking light - they utilize this piece in many different ways - I am hoping it comes up so you can see it if not I can post a pic of my tank so you know what it looks like