• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Severely stunted 3 year old rescue beardie “Frankie” looks like a baby. Advice?

LizzyLovesLizards02

Bearded Dragon Egg
79A8092A-08D7-4A8C-8C43-1320E4E34D13.jpeg
F7E4F893-F33C-4425-91CF-31EF0BAD6C33.jpeg
C99A59B2-7160-46D1-A11F-F7A9D2086EE8.jpeg
EFADF9DD-0743-47B6-B8DF-686E8DCBD338.jpeg
E46F21F9-1C9F-426F-B943-7D741CE8E909.jpeg
I recently adopted a 3 year old beardie named Frankie. I adore him but I am extremely worried because his past owner said he is 3 years old but he is extremely small (he looks like a baby) and very dehydrated and underweight. He was severely neglected, lived in a 20 Gallon all his life and only fed 2 crickets a day with no calcium powder or vitamin supplements. Also never touched a veggie in his life or given baths. Is there a chance with proper diet he will continuing growing? Or at least fill out a bit and become healthier? I am also concerned about tail rot I can’t tell if he has it or not so I will include a picture. I am planning on making him an appointment with an exotic vet in my area. I just feel so bad for him any advice would be appreciated. Also best insects to feed to gain weight?

LizzyLovesLizards02

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also the tank and lighting he is shown in is that what he has now????? If it is please replace that UVB --- it so no good if its a coil--------------- you need this for him and hopefully it will help him grow------ here is some info on the UVB
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- please replace ASAP --- this is crucial to his digestion of his food and also basking temps they should be 95-105 taken w/ a infrared heat gun or digital probe ----- those questions about him growing and getting bigger I am not sure but the forum I sent link to they can better answer those ---- in the mean time I would be feeding him crickets or dubia roaches as many as he can eat in a 10-15 minute time frame and offer him vegies everyday here is a website for nutrition for you
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html--- he basically was starved and I am surprised he is still alive ---- bless your heart for rescuing him ---
I have a Reptisun 10.0 tube in the mail! Should be here by tomorrow! Thank you for all your help!