• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Semi arid bioactive substrate help

Mightaswell

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all!
I'm new here. I'm finishing a 4x2x2 bearded dragon enclosure. I included pics in my first post hello all!
I want to put spineless prickly pear along the sides and back wall and a white mulberry somewhere in it.
If I've done my research right bearded dragons are arid to semi arid in there natural environments.
Both prickly pear and mulberry can thrive in semi arid enclosures that consist of sandy loamy soil.
I was planning on mixing a 50 50 mix of organic potting soil and play sand. Is it safe for the dragons? They are 6 and 7 inches long atm but I was going to let them grow in there current enclosure a few months before putting them in there forever home.
I was going to add springtails, isopod, redworms to help break everything down. I read when making a bioactive substrate it could take three weeks minimum to get everything ready for the dragons?
I'm in no rush as the enclosure they are in is big enough, 36x18x22. I line it with paper towels and I do not feed them insects in anything but a plastic tote already so I plan to continue that in this bioactive enclosure.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi all!
I'm new here. I'm finishing a 4x2x2 bearded dragon enclosure. I included pics in my first post hello all!
I want to put spineless prickly pear along the sides and back wall and a white mulberry somewhere in it.
If I've done my research right bearded dragons are arid to semi arid in there natural environments.
Both prickly pear and mulberry can thrive in semi arid enclosures that consist of sandy loamy soil.
I was planning on mixing a 50 50 mix of organic potting soil and play sand. Is it safe for the dragons? They are 6 and 7 inches long atm but I was going to let them grow in there current enclosure a few months before putting them in there forever home.
I was going to add springtails, isopod, redworms to help break everything down. I read when making a bioactive substrate it could take three weeks minimum to get everything ready for the dragons?
I'm in no rush as the enclosure they are in is big enough, 36x18x22. I line it with paper towels and I do not feed them insects in anything but a plastic tote already so I plan to continue that in this bioactive enclosure.
The substrate is fine make sure it’s play sand and theat the soil has no bad things in it also. I sorry to say but 36x18x22 is not 120 gallon. And also please one dragon for one enclosure they can not be housed together and we be very aggressive male and females

Mightaswell

Hatchling Dragon
62 gallons is the temporary enclosure.
The dragons are 7 and 6 inches long. I'm sure bearded dragons can be aggressive as all heck but these 2 do not like being apart. They get all grumpy when it's either ors turn to feed. And they have to run to each other and lick each other and lay with each other after feeding. I'm assuming this will end one day and that is why I built the big enclosure. Worse case scenario I put one back in the temporary and build another 4x2x2 to solve the issue.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
62 gallons is the temporary enclosure.
The dragons are 7 and 6 inches long. I'm sure bearded dragons can be aggressive as all heck but these 2 do not like being apart. They get all grumpy when it's either ors turn to feed. And they have to run to each other and lick each other and lay with each other after feeding. I'm assuming this will end one day and that is why I built the big enclosure. Worse case scenario I put one back in the temporary and build another 4x2x2 to solve the issue.
Please build a 4x2x2 a 62 gallon is not big enoug. You need to have a least a 75 gallon. And if the dragons get along now it’s ok but keep an eye on them dragon have been know to Radomly turn on each other

Mightaswell

Hatchling Dragon
I have a 4x2x2 right now that I'm finishing for the bioactive substrate I referred to in this thread. As well as the 62 gallon temporary enclosure.

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Please build a 4x2x2 a 62 gallon is not big enoug. You need to have a least a 75 gallon. And if the dragons get along now it’s ok but keep an eye on them dragon have been know to Radomly turn on each other
75 gallons isn't nowhere near the correct size its 18inches tall please stop with these Animal Welfare damaging recommendations
You cannot house beardies together they will dominate the food then one will grow way bigger . If there female and male the male will mate ber to death males fight etc you need a 8ft enclosure to house them together Can you acquire that I dont think so House them separately their solitary creatures give them BOTH the proper space and lighting basking they deserve not cheap out and provide for one with two in the enclosure

Mightaswell

Hatchling Dragon
I'll build a second 4x2x2 when I get my taxes. I'm about 400$ in on the enclosures. Basking and uvb bulbs for both and the lizards themselves. The 4x2x2 that I'm finishing is almost done. I'm putting on 3 coats of 3x polyurethane 24 hrs apart and I will be doing the last coat tonight after I lightly sand. But I have the sand and soil on hand. After the polyurethane dries a few days, probably monday add the lights to check the system out. I'm hoping that by the end of March I'll have all plants in that I want. Then I'll start number 2.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have a 4x2x2 right now that I'm finishing for the bioactive substrate I referred to in this thread. As well as the 62 gallon temporary enclosure.
Ok sorry ya a 62 gallon is fine for a temporarily thing. And for the substrate mix I say go for it it is safe. but you might want to check with one or two more people fisrt