• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scared to catch my house on fire now...

Lateralus462

Bearded Dragon Egg
So getting down to gathering last few items needed for valoo's move from her old apartment to new mansion. I'm needing a deep dome fixture for her basking spot. I was all on board to get the zoo med 10.5 inch one, but after reading several reviews of the contacts shorting out at the ceramic base I'm concerned for her, as well as my house's safety! I've been looking at the deep jungle dome light equivalent but can't find many reviews, the few I've found are positive but still, thought I'd go to the community that knows best for their little dragons :) my dual dome zoo med hasn't impressed me, the ceramic base comes loose every bulb change. So has the product gotten better or what do you fine guys and gals suggest? (It needs to be a hanging type fixture, no screen top, and nowhere to really Clamp it onto in new melamine enclosure)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have used the ZooMed dome lights for 4 years now and never had any issues with fire. When changing the bulb you need to hold the ceramic base while you turn the bulb so that it doesn't loosen up. If it does get loose you can just tighten it back up. I have had a few stop working after awhile but never had any sparks or anything like that coming out of them. The important thing is to pay attention to how much wattage it can handle. A lot of times bulbs burn out because the wattage is too much for the fixture to handle. My beardies are older now so I use the mini dome lights, the max for them is 100watts. The larger dome fixtures can handle 150 watts (I think). Dual dome fixtures don't make sense for bearded dragons because you need a basking light and a long tube UVB bulb.

How big is your tank? Bearded dragons are great escape artists and they do like to climb and they can jump so you really should have something on the top of the tank so it can't get out.

Lateralus462

Bearded Dragon Egg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well yes, understand of having to hold the ceramic base when changing bulbs, although this has proved ineffective even on my dual dome sometimes. Never put anything more then the reccomended wattage. My concern comes from scathing reviews on Amazon from a worrisome number of people (who state they are using a bulb within the parameters of the wattage handling) commenting that the area around the ceramic has noticable burn marks, and a couple sayinf the actual thing caught on fire. Now all these reviews were from a year or so ago so was curious if there was a redesign or somethings like that.

Now for the current setup, what was given to me when this person decided they didn't want her anymore :/ they gave me a 20 long glass tank with screen lid. A dual dome zoo med, which I use the one socket for her uva/basking bulb, and use the other for a ceramic heater since my house is older and not air tight, her temps were getting a bit low in really cold nights so thought that extra socket would be perfect for the ceramic bulb. It also came with the compact zoo med deflector for use with the coiled uvb light.

Now onto what is being built for her, first off I know the coiled uvb is terrible foR her so got a 36" sunblaster t5 ho with light deflector paired with a reptisun t5 ho 10.0 uvb light. That perked up my little girl so much just to note! I was so happy to see being active and eating and generally better temperament :) the new enclosure I'm building (been hospitalized for last month so u fortunately have had to put it in the back burner for a while) is a 4'x2'x2' melamine enclosure, already have that built with proper venting to keep humidity down(live in Alabama so took special care to make sure of this) so already have the uvb which I ha e rigged for the moment over her small tank bc of the obvious benefits. So now I need a dome Light for her , will probably get two actually to give her a couple options for basking and to make sure temps stay right throughout the enclosure, that's gonna depend on when everything is ready. Both the dome and uvb will be hanging off hooks attached to the top.

If any of that sounds sketchy please let me know as this has been a learning experience! I used to rescue box turtles but had an outside pen for them and never had to worry about the lighting and such. Right now I have built one hide rock for her for the new place and working on the larger basking rock. Going to put tile down on the floor, which should I mortar those down or leave them loose for cleaning ease?

But I guess back to the matter at hand, the dome light , I just wanted to get you guys opinion on the best built one. I'm sorry for the length and all the questions but my girl has gotten to an adult stage now and needs a whole lot more and just want the best for little valoo :)
image.jpeg

Lateralus462

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry, still trying to figure out this site and didn't mean to post duplicate photos and post :/

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry, still trying to figure out this site and didn't mean to post duplicate photos and post :/

I fixed the duplicate post :)

I LOVE the T5 bulbs I like to recommend them but I know some people are on a budge and it can seem expensive at first. Once you realize though that the bulbs only have to be changed once a year as opposed to twice a year with the T8, it's cheaper in the long run. I had the same thing happen when I first put them in. I had 2 very lazy, lethargic beardies and as soon as the new light went in they instantly perked up and moved around the tank more. I also love how it just brightens up the whole tank.

As far as the dome light, I do know that people have just bought a basic fixture from the hardware store and used those.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
View attachment 14214 View attachment 14215 View attachment 14214 View attachment 14215 View attachment 14215 Well yes, understand of having to hold the ceramic base when changing bulbs, although this has proved ineffective even on my dual dome sometimes. Never put anything more then the reccomended wattage. My concern comes from scathing reviews on Amazon from a worrisome number of people (who state they are using a bulb within the parameters of the wattage handling) commenting that the area around the ceramic has noticable burn marks, and a couple sayinf the actual thing caught on fire. Now all these reviews were from a year or so ago so was curious if there was a redesign or somethings like that.

Now for the current setup, what was given to me when this person decided they didn't want her anymore :/ they gave me a 20 long glass tank with screen lid. A dual dome zoo med, which I use the one socket for her uva/basking bulb, and use the other for a ceramic heater since my house is older and not air tight, her temps were getting a bit low in really cold nights so thought that extra socket would be perfect for the ceramic bulb. It also came with the compact zoo med deflector for use with the coiled uvb light.

Now onto what is being built for her, first off I know the coiled uvb is terrible foR her so got a 36" sunblaster t5 ho with light deflector paired with a reptisun t5 ho 10.0 uvb light. That perked up my little girl so much just to note! I was so happy to see being active and eating and generally better temperament :) the new enclosure I'm building (been hospitalized for last month so u fortunately have had to put it in the back burner for a while) is a 4'x2'x2' melamine enclosure, already have that built with proper venting to keep humidity down(live in Alabama so took special care to make sure of this) so already have the uvb which I ha e rigged for the moment over her small tank bc of the obvious benefits. So now I need a dome Light for her , will probably get two actually to give her a couple options for basking and to make sure temps stay right throughout the enclosure, that's gonna depend on when everything is ready. Both the dome and uvb will be hanging off hooks attached to the top.

If any of that sounds sketchy please let me know as this has been a learning experience! I used to rescue box turtles but had an outside pen for them and never had to worry about the lighting and such. Right now I have built one hide rock for her for the new place and working on the larger basking rock. Going to put tile down on the floor, which should I mortar those down or leave them loose for cleaning ease?

But I guess back to the matter at hand, the dome light , I just wanted to get you guys opinion on the best built one. I'm sorry for the length and all the questions but my girl has gotten to an adult stage now and needs a whole lot more and just want the best for little valoo :) View attachment 14214
Hello,

I have been through the same experience and since my guy is small I have a work around for now. However I found out recently that my current option will cause burning on adults because of the tight beam. So in a few months I will be right there with you. While I spent a long time researching light fixtures I know exactly what you are talking about. I read all those reviews as well.

A very large majority of those people are using them incorrectly. Which caused their issues.

To answer your questions about a new generation of lamp fixture. I do not believe they changed anything. However when I had my snake I used those fixtures and they worked well.

I believe with out causing stress to the ceramic connection (wire to port) they should be fine.

However nothing in this world is 100% and there's always risk. I will probably be getting either a dome or some sort of hanging fixture from a hardware shop.

Another member gave me an interesting option in another thread. I'll get the link and edit my post in a few minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UJ9CJ9W?tag=exoticcom-20&creativeASIN=B00UJ9CJ9W

And

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/93512/PAR-3511F.html