• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand or NO SAND

babyb

Hatchling Dragon
I have a baby Beardie some people say use sand some told me do not use it with a baby what are your experiences with sand?

Mushu_Chevy14

Bearded Dragon Egg
Don't use sand, it can stop them up and they wouldn't be able to poop. I use the green reptile carpet. They can see the cricket very well on the green. Layer on you can use sand if you feel comfortable doing so.

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Baby I say no sand. Id use paper towls. Easy to clean cheep and no risk involved. When he/she gets older you could use sand if you wanted.

babyb

Hatchling Dragon
I'm using paper towels now but I think I am going to use the retile carpet

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Its good you just need to buy two that way you can have one to replace whlie you wash and let the used one dry.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Even the reptile carpet and paper towel can be eaten by babies, both are safer than sand for babies. Your best substrate for babies is tile, easy to clean and looks ok.

raemlpz

Bearded Dragon Egg
I bought my first beardie a few weeks ago and when I went to go buy all the items, someone recommended me to buy sand, so I did. It was such a mess. First off, he was always dirty, I had to clean him up in order to hold him because he was covered with sand. The pool he has to cool himself was more sand than pool because everytime he entered he would mess it up. The crickets would also dig into the sand, making it harder for him to eat them. And most importantly, its bad for him. The sand would get in his eyes, and I also read that they can accidentally swallow the sand and it clogs their intestines. I dumped all the sand out and put a desert-like reptile mat, and he loves it. It's also a lot cleaner and easier to clean the enclosure. So yeah, no sand. Go for the mat or carpet.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@raemlpz I'm glad you said that about the sand. I was just thinking about that today, we always address the possibility of impaction but we don't mention the dangers of sand getting in their eyes or inhaling any dustime from the sand.

raemlpz

Bearded Dragon Egg
@raemlpz I'm glad you said that about the sand. I was just thinking about that today, we always address the possibility of impaction but we don't mention the dangers of sand getting in their eyes or inhaling any dustime from the sand.

Yeah I'm definitely happier with the mat I bought them than with the sand. And I bet they're happier too.

Plenneper

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is sand bad for adult Bearded Dragons? I was told play sand is ok because they can digest it. I so confused. One site says it's ok another says it's not. I'm a new owner trying to find information to keep my dragon healthy . I love this little guy and I would like to do everything I can to keep him happy. Should I keep the sand or is it bad for him? What the best thing for burrowing and hibernation?
Thank you, for answering my concerns,

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sand is a risk at any age but not as big of one as the Dragon gets older. Now thats real sand. The calcisand and others like it that say they are digestible are a bigger problem. For one its like eating an antacids which could work agents digestion. Second it can clump and cause impaction.
As the Dragon gets older it can more easily pass the natural sand through its digestive track. But its still not recommended to feed them in the enclosure if you use sand as a substrate to help minimize the amount of sand injested.

If you are looking for something more natural to them a low nutrient dirt like red clay mixed with sand and packed down would be the closest to mimicking their native environment.

Another good option would be just to do sand pit where you just have one area with sand and use another substrate for the rest of the enclosure. Tile is highly recommended here.

For another alternative I know someone here uses bioactive soil but I dont really know much about it so I cant really help you there.

Hope that helped and did not confuse you more.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Play sand is okay for an adult dragon. If your dragon is well hydrated then impaction shouldn't be an issue.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think I might be that someone. ;) I use a bioactive soil/sand substrate. It is called bioactive as it has its own nitrogen cycle with beneficial bacteria and invertebrate life to break down wastes and control parasites. It allows for burrowing and other natural behaviours, looks great, and is the most natural substrate possible. It also allows for live plants and keeps a constant positive humidity so that dehydration is not a worry. Its relatively simple to set up and once it is set up properly, is probably the easiest and cheapest substrate to maintain. I couldnt honestly say enough good about it.